Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rheostat or Potentiometer?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a problem with my Playstation 3 internal fan. The fan is way too loud and comes on full when the CPU is not even overheating.

The fan is set up with 3 cables going to it - positive, negative, and an additional grey one which controls the speed. Apparently, the normal operation of the fan requires 2v, but when the fan starts maxing out (like mine does all the time) the grey cable is sending 3.3v to the fan.

Anyway - what I want to know is can I use a Rheostat or Potentiometer to control the voltage flow & LIMIT the voltage on the grey cable to the 2v required for normal fan operation? I want to limit the flow - not reduce by a % or a set amount.

And if a Rheostat would work - what Track Resistance Value should I get? I know nothing about electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I thought the third wire would be the speed feed back to make sure it's turning. It could well be for speed control.

If it operators like you say, I can't see why a potential divider, with say a 10k pot wouldn't work.

Do all ps3's behave like this? Or is it just your one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

It shouldn't behave like this, but a lot do. I Googled it for ages - tried all sorts of cooling methods, gave it loads of space, cool air around it, etc - no joy. Apparently it's a fault with the internal temperature sensor - which is part of the CPU, so can't be replaced. It reads hot when it isn't.
    I thought the third wire would be the speed feed back to make sure it's turning.
    Maybe it is - but guess a rheostat is only a few ££ on eBay and worth a try.

Does this explain it?
    http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/55562/PS3+Fan+wires+explained

You say a "potential divider" - does that not "produce an output voltage (Vout) that is a fraction of its input voltage"? Do I not need a "limiter", since I still want the fan to run at normal speed, but I just never want it to increase speed!?

A guy here has a similar query, but I don't understand the reply:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t705118.html

Thanks for the reply!

Advertisement