Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Games for the Non-Gamer

Options
  • 27-06-2011 8:55pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭

So, this is just something I was chatting to some people about and thought it made an interesting discussion.

If you had to recommend 3 games to someone who's never played video games before what would they be an why?

The Rules:

1)The Games can be from any era or on any system but must be 1 game, so no full series like 'all the mario games'

2)The person will play the game for a decent amount over a weekend and if they don't like it will quit. This is to give a reasonable limit. Someone who's never gamed is unlikely to put 80 hours into something but will give it a fair bash of 2 weekend afternoons and early evenings.

3)Person has no experience of video games what so ever, has never used a pad but average knowledge of pc use. Person has standard dexterity in their hands to use the pad with.

My 3 Games:

1) Tetris - I pick this one for a few reasons. Firstly, it's very simple to learn to play from a control perspective and concept perspective but has a very addictive quality. It's a good example or the 'just 5 more mins factor'. I thought of an iOS game here, such as Plants vs. Zombies, but thought the simplicity of tetris was a great starting point.

2) LittleBigPlanet 2 - would be my second choice as I think it hits a lot of bases. I was going to say Super Mario World for the SNES as it's an amazing platformer but from the perspective of introductions, I think this beats it due to the creative nature it also has, as well as the multiplayer and community aspect. Basically, I think it hits a lot of bases in one game.

3) Uncharted 2 - this is a risky one as it's quite a complex video game, from a control perspective, gameplay, etc. when compared to the first 2 in the list, particularly the first. But I think it's a good example of story through games without getting people bogged down in an 80 hour epic RPG. The game is also beautifully designed and introduces the player to video-game violence in a nice way. People are shot in the way Indiana Jones shoots people rather than it being gory.

So, good people of boards, what would your 3 games for non gamers be? Comments and criticism welcome on mine too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

1) Burnout Paradise City - Drive around a city, even when you crash you win
    2) Fight Night - Button Bashing FTW
    3) AC II - Easy to get the hang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Just dance
    Farmville
    Dance centreal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd throw them into the deep end with some of the absolute best games this generation has to offer. If nothing else, a few hours with each game will show the person just how far games have come and how engaging and highly polished they can be. Even if they don't see them through they'll have a new found respect for our beloved medium. Choosing 3 different platforms to show the different controllers.

1) Portal 2 (Xbox 360)
    Quite the one-of-a-kind experience! A game where it's not about timing or skill; it's about brain power. Just as fun sitting beside the person who's playing. You could into a room, have a chat about the puzzle, and some time later, Eureka! This is the most rewarding game I've played, making you feel so smart after solving a room. And Co-Op is just amazing.

2) Uncharted 2 (PS3)
    Really tightened up the amazing graphics, story, character, gameplay. Just everything about the game is top shelf. Action films wish they could be this game!

3) Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)
    A throwback to the early 90s, very easy to pick up and play. Tons of optional levels, intuitive controls. And awesome multiplayer (which I why i choose this over Super Mario World)

Fulfilling a first person puzzler, a third person shooter, and a side-scrolling platformer. All A+ games IMO and all completely different. God I love videogames.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Tetris

For all the reasons you mentioned, it's a pick up and play kinda game. You can put it down for a couple of weeks and come back to it and not forget where you are in a story. You can play a game on the bus or train on the way to work, during your lunch break, while on the toilet :)

Lumines

Exact same reasons as Tetris (if you play the PSP version).

Mario Kart Wii

Great fun with friends, something to do when you got a few friends over and want a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

Never played games if fine but just for the sake of this i presume that they hadn't seen a game before. This is because my first game would be Doom on the PC. Graphically it doesn't stand the test of time, but in my 486 days it was some game.
    My second and third options are BF2 and BC2. For the simple reason is that there are the nearest thing to an addiction that I have. A cost/benefit analysis on these games would be very favourable :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You'd give someone new to gaming 3 games from the same genre?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anything with dual analogue controls and a new gamer is just asking for trouble and will probably put them right off. Keep it simple first. Mine would be:

New Super Mario Bros. since you can help out if they get stuck.

Bomberman. Everyone seems to love this in multiplayer.

Mother 3. Think games can't generate emotion? Try not to cry before the first two hours are up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

1. Mortal kombat

fighting games are perfect for non gamers to start off.

2. Nfs most wanted

Driving game is great for new comers. Not to complex and will give a basic lessen for controls.

3. Alice: madness returns

Third person action game with decent platforming and great great atmosphere.

Just to note. Offering a gaming newby a first person shooter is not wise. They need to contro something they see. First person shooters will confuse the to feck. Bac then I know they did that to me.

My list would be based on my misses too. She is not gamer at all, but she allways enjoyed such time games. They were easy for her to pick up and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

1) final fantasy 8 it introduced me into an amazing story telling genre. After the first hour the story had me hooked.
    2) grand theft auto 4 , a casual game where free roaming brings the best enjoyment.

3) metal gear solid. Great gameplay mixed with fantastic boss battles , and of course the hero of all heros Snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Rise of The Robots - The Greatest Beat em up ever

Alley Cat - The Greatest cat-em up ever

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing The Greatest racing game ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kind of a general question because a lot of it would depend on knowing what their other interests were but I will try 3 (1 from when I was young, 1 from when I was in my teens, and a current one.)

Street Fighter II

Forget all the hyper, turbo, and X's, the original Street Fighter II is better than all of them in my opinion. When this was released in arcade's I must have spent a fortune playing it. It was the talk of the class room and knowing how to pull off all the special moves translated into coolness.

Goldeneye

The reason I got an N64, I have not played it recently and am sure it would not hold up against the online matches of today but this was a groundbreaking game and one that I spent an entire summer playing with mates from first thing in the morning till last thing at night.

Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Was a toss up between this and AC II but since that is a sequel I went with AA. Great graphics, great storyline despite being written by Grant Morrison and the controls are easy for a beginner to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Everybodys played a 'game' before so I'd follow that trend. Trying to convince a non-gamer to play a FPS or Ico or something isn't going to end well.

Chess

Some sports games (whatever sports they've played most in their life)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anything from Popcap.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anything with dual analogue controls and a new gamer is just asking for trouble and will probably put them right off. Keep it simple first. Mine would be:

New Super Mario Bros. since you can help out if they get stuck.

Bomberman. Everyone seems to love this in multiplayer.

Mother 3. Think games can't generate emotion? Try not to cry before the first two hours are up :P

This is definitely a concern. I think this one is more of a gamble. If they manage to pick it up, they'll really see the potential for realism in movement and action games and if they don't then hopefully they'll enjoy the other two. Hell, i'd be happy if I enjoyed 2 out of every 3 games i'd ever played.

Though, there were some suggestions of games, GTA IV sticks out, and they seemed to me as too complex so maybe it's just my love for Uncharted that's clouding my judgement.

-Godot_ wrote:
    Mario Kart Wii

Great fun with friends, something to do when you got a few friends over and want a laugh.

This was a tough one not too suggest as it is just so much fun with friends and the power-ups mean that winning is always up for grabs. LBP2 does have some great multiplayer fun but i think there needs to be some competition to show the new gamer the fun that can be had there.

Perhaps removing uncharted and putting in mario kart wii?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beat'em and eat'em

Plumbers don't wear ties

Night Trap

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Little Big Planet
    Portal
    Guitar Hero

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Peggle - the game that makes hearing Ode to Joy feel like you've just been handed one hundred euro. The perfect blend of skill and luck, luck, luck.

Plants vs Zombies - more Popcap, but the guys produce the finest casual crack the industry has to offer. A hearty mix of strategy, fun graphics, humour and a damn near perfect difficulty curve. A rare game for everyone.

Rock Band - the game that provides instant gratification to the uninitiated but has the potential to send you spiralling into 'must...get...better' levels of addiction. The rare game that you don't feel disappointed at when it's turned on at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

A Wii and 3 random shovelware titles should do the trick :D:P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wii Sports
    Minecraft
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

My wife used to hate gaming until I got her a DS. She loves:

Peggle:
    No skill required but always has that one more go factor.

Bejeweled:
    Tetris with duels instead of blocks.

Amazing Adventures: The Forgotten Ruins:
    Seek-and-find game.

You will always find some game for whatever your into. I never thought my wife would get into gaming but she loves the above games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Wii Sports

Super Mario bros 3

Prof Layton and the curious village

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Fifa 11, Heavy Rain, Driver (my fave games)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

emmetmcl wrote: »
    Fifa 11, Heavy Rain, Driver (my fave games)

I wouldn't recommend any of those games to a non-gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Flower (PS3)

Mariocart (wii)

Pacman CE

Also rans: Super Mario Bros, wii sports, rockband, LBP, popcap games, zynga games, ported board/card games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Depends on what they are interested in generally, but I'll just throw in a mix

Modern Warfare 1/2 couldnt go too far wrong (Story Mode) for the action seekers

Colin McCray Rally for the drive lovers (with a steering wheel ofc)

Tiger Woods PGA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Plants vs Zombies - more Popcap, but the guys produce the finest casual crack the industry has to offer. A hearty mix of strategy, fun graphics, humour and a damn near perfect difficulty curve. A rare game for everyone.

You forgot to mention the cool theme tune. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Heavy Rain - (ps3) - My GF is a NON gamer, and she Loved it!
    Little Big Planet 2 - (ps3) - Same story, GF loves it, really easy to play.
    The Sims 3 - (PC)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

1. Spyro the Dragon.

One of the first games I had for my PS one, I am still looking everywhere for a working copy! An amazing story, easy, controllable and addictive! (Crash Bandicoot would be here for most, Im not a crash lover though)

2. Ilo Milo.

This little gem is available on XBL arcade, not sure about PS3, its a great little puzzle game! My girlfriend has no gaming experience and she has completed this game and is now trying to clear all of its achievements.

3. Super Meat Boy.

Also available on XBL, its a fantastic platformer, so addictive it should have a warning on the box and sold in back alleys by shady looking men in leather jackets and baseball caps! A game where dying, is all part of the fun and completion can be as exhilarating as anything any AAA title has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sin_J

Portal: It's easy to get the hang of, it's short and it is amazingly entertaining and funny. (i'd love to include portal 2 with it as a set but it's against the rules)

Any 1 of the Professor Layton games: Challenging but still a nice progression of brainteasers. Always get these for my mother when they are released as she loves them.

Need for Speed: Underground
    The original was always the best of these i thought. Nice track and car selection, good soundtrack, and the car customisation was good without being overly complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

World of Warcraft
    It is newbie friendly and if you play it the first time (hysh you bitter vets) it is an amazing story unfolding while not making things overly complicated. It will keep them entertained for the time period easily

Mario Karts (Wii or DS)
    Once again easy to get into, easy to play

For the third tetris is a really sold choice (both my mother and gf are addicted to it and neither play games normally) but I don't want something so common (same with different card games etc.) so

Portal
    Why not portal 2? Because Portal has less things to keep track off then Portal 2 and hence easier to play through and understand :)

Advertisement