Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Cuts

Options
  • 27-06-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone else has checked out how much their grants will be cut by. I got an email from college the other day informing me of some of the changes but when I called the grants office the cut was far more than I'd expected.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO STUDENT GRANT AS A RESULT OF BUDGET 2011

Three measures were announced in Budget 2011 relating to the student grant schemes:

A: Reduction in overall rates of grant

A reduction of 4% is to be applied to the rates of all student grants.
    This reduction applies to all existing grant holders and to new grant holders alike.
    The implementation date is January 2011.
    B: Qualifying distance criterion for non-adjacent rate of grant

The qualifying distance criterion for entitlement to the higher non-adjacent rate of grant (distance from home to the higher education institution) has been changed from 15 miles (24 kilometres) to 45 kilometres.
    This measure applies to all students.
    The implementation date is the start of the 2011-2012 academic year.
    C: Automatic entitlement of mature students to non-adjacent rate of grant.

The automatic entitlement of mature students to the higher non-adjacent rate of payment has been removed.
    The implementation date is the start of the 2011-2012 academic year.

I'd advise calling your local grants office.

Advertisement