Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey Valley Fitness Reviews wanted

• 27-06-2011 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking to see if anyone is a current member and what they think of it? The most recent review I can find online is from last year!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

I'm thinking you might have more luck in the Dublin County West forum, but..............as a former member, I ave only good things to say about the place. Using the machines in front of the window is a bit embarrassing as it is possible to make out people's faces in the gym from a car below (I was spotted a few times)......but that's only a small issue when the rest of the place is so good. I joined having never been a member of a gym before and I had my fitness and weight assessed before they took me on a tour of the place and displayed the correct way to use the machines and the free weights.

They do classes too (spinning and others that I can't remember) and I'm not sure if you had to pay extra or not, but they always looked alright. I also like the pool which was really big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Oh I forgot its over the border lol! Thats great to hear. There's one reviewer who has posted all over the net about cars getting broken into which worried me a bit tbh. But the price is good and I need a pool to get fit because I have a good bit of weight to lose and a hip problem. Thanks for the help.

Maybe a mod could move it?? Sorry!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hi all,
    I'm looking to see if anyone is a current member and what they think of it? The most recent review I can find online is from last year!

Are you talking about the gym across from B&Q?
    I was a member there last year. I only used the pool during my lunch hour.
    I had to stop due to making my back worse instead of better.
    Anyway, the pool is great and a fantastic size.
    I've no idea about the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

My wife and I are a member for 3 years.
    We used both the gym and pool loads and loved it.

Lately we had baby and now i used the pool with the baby as they keep the pool at the right temp.

Its a great gym for value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

My wife and I are a member for 3 years.
    We used both the gym and pool loads and loved it.

Lately we had baby and now i used the pool with the baby as they keep the pool at the right temp.

Its a great gym for value for money.
    That's great to hear thanks. I went in for a walk around today and it was very clean and relatively quiet. Class timetable is excellent and I'll be using the pool alot as I have a lot to lose and I want no injuries. Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I used to be a member of this gym.

It was "okay".
    But the machines weren't maintained very well.

There was always the odd broken cross trainer / exercise bike on the floor.
    In the weights sections upstairs, the chest press machine had been broken for years. It works, but you can't adjust the settings as the peg kept slipping out of the setting hole.

Also the rowing machines used to slide on the floor every time you used them.
    I eventually gave them a constructive complaint to go over to B & Q and get some carpet tape for the floor mats.

They used to have to hire a guy to keep an eye on the car park at night times in the winter, not sure if they still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Any up to date comments on this gym?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

Any up to date comments on this gym?

Thanks

Ive been a member around 2 years now. Great gym and very reasonable prices. My only complaints would be that sometimes they can be a little lax on the maintenance of the cardio equipment and the shower temp could be hotter!

Plenty of cardio machines on 1st floor and the whole of the top level is weights and weight machines.

Ravenholm wrote: »
    Ive been a member around 2 years now. Great gym and very reasonable prices. My only complaints would be that sometimes they can be a little lax on the maintenance of the cardio equipment and the shower temp could be hotter!

Plenty of cardio machines on 1st floor and the whole of the top level is weights and weight machines.

Many thanks for that.

Have being a member for a few months now but in case other people are interested in joining I thought I'd give my opinion.

In the weights section you could be walking around looking for a pin to select the weights in the machines. I've seen a few members keep the pin as they go from machine to machine as there are quite a few missing.

A new manager did come in, and lasted a few weeks which seems to be a record. Between him and the staff some of the cardio machines were serviced. Which was badly needed. Still a few out of order etc. The tvs if on could do with a better channel selection, especially during the afternoon. No need to stay on the channels with kids programmes on.

There is only one class a week that I take and it's great, all depends on what instructor you get. They range from full of spirit to being quite obvious that they don't want to be there.

The showers are still barely luke warm and often there are issues with either sauna, steam room or jacquzzi. The changing rooms and sauna etc can get messy but that is more from members who while boosting how much they did in the gym don't have the energy to carry their rubbish to the bin. Same with weights in free weight section.

Unfortunately I don't feel the owner has much interest in keeping members, as so many issues are easily rectifiable. And there seems to be growing talk in the changing room about people not renewing. All these issues I've mentioned have being reported but cannot say that they have being dealt with fully.

• Advertisement

Oh I forgot its over the border lol! Thats great to hear. There's one reviewer who has posted all over the net about cars getting broken into which worried me a bit tbh. But the price is good and I need a pool to get fit because I have a good bit of weight to lose and a hip problem. Thanks for the help.

Maybe a mod could move it?? Sorry!

Hi;

We left Liffey Valley Fitness for the Clarion in Liffey Valley. We wanted the pool only and liffey valley fitness wanted to charge 150-200 for our 3 year old even though she cant use the gym part.

Clarion gave us a deal of 175 each for pool only and the kids were free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sampa72

Liffe valley Fitness Coldcut Rd.
    Iv been member for couple years and I regret that. You will find the most unwelcome staff from the entrance in reception. The money you pay are worthless avoid avoid avoid. There is many places with more good facilities and welcome staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sampa72

Hi;

We left Liffey Valley Fitness for the Clarion in Liffey Valley. We wanted the pool only and liffey valley fitness wanted to charge 150-200 for our 3 year old even though she cant use the gym part.

Yes that's right. Avoid.thks for review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Hi;

average_runner

Was this pool-only membership a once off deal the Clarion were doing? I enquired last year about a pool-only membership as I wouldn't use the gym. They told me that the only way they'd do pool-only membership was if I had a letter from my GP to state that I couldn't use the gym for medical reasons!! Have things changed?

jomalone14 wrote: »
    average_runner

Was this pool-only membership a once off deal the Clarion were doing? I enquired last year about a pool-only membership as I wouldn't use the gym. They told me that the only way they'd do pool-only membership was if I had a letter from my GP to state that I couldn't use the gym for medical reasons!! Have things changed?

Hi;

I think it was a deal they offered to us by mistake 2 years ago, they were reluctant to renew this year even though we used the pool only 5 times!! Eventually they did.

I would push them on it, just say you know a member who has that kind of membership and that you won't pay the full price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

average_runner

I was told the same when I was looking for pool only membership when I was pregnant, and only able to swim. Had to get a letter from my GP stating such, and the clarion would then only give me 6 month membership. Liffey Valley fitness wouldn't even entertain pool only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Fagashlil wrote: »
    I was told the same when I was looking for pool only membership when I was pregnant, and only able to swim. Had to get a letter from my GP stating such, and the clarion would then only give me 6 month membership. Liffey Valley fitness wouldn't even entertain pool only.

It's frustrating, isn't it? Obviously business is booming in these places that they can turn potential new custom away.

It also highlights the real need for a public pool in the Lucan area........I'd say us swimmers are in for a long wait.

It's frustrating, isn't it? Obviously business is booming in these places that they can turn potential new custom away.

It also highlights the real need for a public pool in the Lucan area........I'd say us swimmers are in for a long wait.

There is a public pool in clondakin, that's not that far from liffey valley fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It also highlights the real need for a public pool in the Lucan area........

Indeed. Lucan / Adamstown has nearly the population of the 4th biggest city in Ireland (Galway) and there is no public pool. It's a disgrace.

Where I'm from (not Ireland), even 40 years ago nearly every little village with a population of over 10-20k would have their own public olympic size pool, many of them two in different locations, both indoor (25m) and outdoor (50m)

The whole of Ireland has what, one or two public 50m pools? LOL :rolleyes:

No wonder so many people here can't swim and so many drown every year...

Here's a campaign for a public pool in Lucan. Please vote! Linky

Car Owners Beware!

On the day before Christmas Eve my car and two others were broken into in the car park of LVF. It was caught on the cameras but was told during the week by the manager to check my car again as another suspicious car and persons was spotted in the carpark.

This place really has gone to the dogs. Looking for another gym/pool. It's a real shame as it could be a great gym but there is zero investment. Half the treadmills are broken, and have being for a long time. Members don't seem to have the strength or energy to carry their rubbish to bins. Oh the list goes on.
    Tired of the same excuses from management so look forward to finding new place.

• Advertisement

Car Owners Beware!

On the day before Christmas Eve my car and two others were broken into in the car park of LVF. It was caught on the cameras but was told during the week by the manager to check my car again as another suspicious car and persons was spotted in the carpark.

This place really has gone to the dogs. Looking for another gym/pool. It's a real shame as it could be a great gym but there is zero investment. Half the treadmills are broken, and have being for a long time. Members don't seem to have the strength or energy to carry their rubbish to bins. Oh the list goes on.
    Tired of the same excuses from management so look forward to finding new place.

Look at the Clarion, its a nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NGUYEN01

Looks like it times up on Liffey Valley Fitness - I see it is closed -

Does anyone know what happened. Seems a shame that the place was just let run down - could be really nice

Owner is building apartments on the land.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

NGUYEN01 wrote: »
    Looks like it times up on Liffey Valley Fitness - I see it is closed -

Does anyone know what happened. Seems a shame that the place was just let run down - could be really nice

That's a shame. I was a member for years, only left about a year ago as I moved away from the area. Only used the pool in later years but still.
    Their lack of website and no facebook presence was always an annoyance when you were looking for something simple like christmas opening times or whatnot...
    Owner is building apartments on the land.

Wouldn't buy an apartment built by those owners (assuming they are the same owners that I know...)

edit: I see it is same owners http://www.echo.ie/news/article/shock-as-liffey-valley-fitness-centre-closes-its-doors

Poor form on all accounts. Had forgotten about the babers and hairdressers. That hairdressers was fierce handy. Very sorry for all of them to lose their business because of this also. Hope they got warning so they could suss out alternatives.

Advertisement