Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rules on getting a bike?

• 27-06-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I've never ridden a motor bike in my life!
    But lately i've been thinking how nice it would be to just tip around the country roads on a summer's evening. So I was thinking about trying to get a classic Honda/Yamaha about 50cc or maybe 70 or 90.
    I have a full car licence but would I have to do lessons and a test to ride a Honda 50?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

depends if you have the m category on your licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

depends if you have the m category on your licence.

At least be helpful as not all B licences have M on them, but your still allowed to ride a moped. B licences issued before 21 Oct 2006 have M be default.

With an M licence you can ride a moped which has to be less the 49cc and can't exceed 45km/h. So the Honda Super Cubs are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

I take it then that a classic Honda 50 is also out as it's not a moped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Gel wrote: »
    I take it then that a classic Honda 50 is also out as it's not a moped?

Once it can exceed 45km/h it's no longer a moped. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a way to restrict one to be a moped.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

if you really dont intend on getting anything bigger, you need your A1 for the honda 50/cubs and anythign up to 125cc, depending when you got your B you will probably have to sit a new theory test, and the IBT also.

if i was you i would apply for the A licence, get the Honda 50, and when test day is coming along do lessons and rent a bigger scooter over 125cc or even learn to ride a full motorbike to pass your test on so you then have the freedom to get any bike you want.

and dont forget to nod stick your foot out or wave and other bikers as you go past!

• Advertisement
Advertisement