Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

resin joints

• 27-06-2011 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

i have to replace a resin joint on a old 2*4 (or 6)swa sub-main

what's the best way of doing this as i'll have to cut the old joint away and prob fit 2 new joints

and i'll have to ensure continuity on armour

i notice that the resin joints don't seem to use the link for the armour anymore

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

i take it theres no slack on the cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A new piece of SWA and 2 joints it is so. Not sure if they used to use them clip on earth contact things for small SWA`s, i forget now, but you can twist the swa strands and fit them into a 63 amp connector or a suitable size one on smaller cables and join with an earth wire inside the cast. Larger cables you can use bonding straps.

Them proper solid metal ferules and proper crimper work well for joining the actual cores inside the cast as well.

it's an old sub-main

replaced a fuseboard and noticed no earth continuity on sub-main

traced problem to old resin joint

no continuity on armour either side of joint whatever they were doing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robbie7730 wrote: »
    A new piece of SWA and 2 joints it is so.
    +1
    Not sure if they used to use them clip on earth contact things for small SWA`s, i forget now, but you can twist the swa strands and fit them into a 63 amp connector or a suitable size one on smaller cables and join with an earth wire inside the cast. Larger cables you can use bonding straps.
    I would do the armour joint differently. For this sized cable I would use one of these, they often come as part of the kit:

Compression-Spring.jpg

• Advertisement

they haven't been supplied on any resin joints i've bought lately

can they be bought separately or are they only supplied on larger kits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

2 joints
    old cable
    might be an idea to replace the run altogether?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

M cebee wrote: »
    they haven't been supplied on any resin joints i've bought lately

can they be bought separately or are they only supplied on larger kits?
    I guess they can, but I never tried to buy them on their own.
    They always came with the kits I used.

meercat wrote: »
    2 joints
    old cable
    might be an idea to replace the run altogether?

it's a long long run and far from ideal setup

but i'm on a fuseboard replacement so i want to restore power to sub-main
    first

sorry
    im sure a man of your experience would of thought of that anyway

• Advertisement

i'm a woman:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

A new piece of SWA and 2 joints it is so.

+2

would you usually use lug joints or connector blocks for 1.5, 2.5 & 6sq joints?????

iv only done a few on the largrer sized cables but i know you usually get a roll of braided earth and like a spring loaded sort of clip for the earth continuity of swa

must be the wholesalers cheap brand

cos i haven't seen the braided earth for the longest time

evosteo wrote: »
    +2

would you usually use lug joints or connector blocks for 1.5, 2.5 & 6sq joints?????

iv only done a few on the largrer sized cables but i know you usually get a roll of braided earth and like a spring loaded sort of clip for the earth continuity of swa

Yea they are the earth continuity clips i remember. Didnt fancy them much myself.

2011 wrote: »
    +1

I would do the armour joint differently. For this sized cable I would use one of these, they often come as part of the kit:

Compression-Spring.jpg

I suppose so, if they are with the joint. Not sure if they are them spring clip things in that photo that clip the braid to the SWA. But the armour on smaller cables being joined can be made to reach each other in the middle of the joint so they can be directly linked together.

Advertisement