Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen rewire

Options
  • 27-06-2011 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hey all
    Getting the kitchen rewired, gonna have fridge, washing machine and dishwasher under the counter.
    Is it true that I have to have a switched spur above each of these for isolation or can I just use a 20 amp dp switch to isolate all the under counter sockets? i really don t want a load of switches running along the kitchen wall ,
    Anyway suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

separate dp switches as kitchens are wired radial these days

and you'll need sockets generally underneath for moulded plugs on appliances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Thanks for clearing that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its a double pole switch for any socket circuits under the counter i thought, not needed for each appliance, although each appliance might end up on a different circuit in which case it would have its own DP switch.

So if I have three single sockets for my three appliances all on a dedicated circuit can I get away with one switch or do I need one for each socket?

It probably is a DP switch for each appliance, my understanding was its a DP switch for each circuits sockets under the counter, so M cebee will have to clear it up ,,,,again.

But thinking about it now, its probably a DP switch to isolate each appliance with hard to get at sockets.

• Advertisement

Ah well, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

kramer1 wrote: »
    Ah well, thanks anyway
    It's a double pole switch for each non accessible socket including extractor fan microwave fridge washing machine dishwasher etc
    So if you have 5 appliances that you cannot get to sockets you need 5 double pole switches
    Also if you are rewiring kitchen you need seperate circuit for freezer on it's own rcbo or spur outlet if not rcd protected

i'd say 1 isolating switch per appliance

-you'd use switched spurs if you were cutting off the plugs underneath on old appliances in kitchens

-or in other rooms wired in rings as unfused spurs are no longer allowed

I always put them DP switches on circuits going out to lights etc out in gardens as well because they make fault finding, or isolating problem items easier.

Its not a bad idea that rule in my opinion anyway for the kitchen appliances, even if its a DP for each appliance. It would make fault finding easier with RCD tripping problems in kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

personal opinion but i think there should be a seperate radial socket circuit altogether supplying sockets under the counter top for appliances which is controlled by ONE dp switch above the counter. i think that one dp switch for each under counter socket is OTT.

• Advertisement

evosteo wrote: »
    personal opinion but i think there should be a seperate radial socket circuit altogether supplying sockets under the counter top for appliances which is controlled by ONE dp switch above the counter. i think that one dp switch for each under counter socket is OTT.

I think one per circuit is enough myself too.

don't think so

separate isolating switch per appliance is my take on it

don't have rules handy but if i recall

they say inaccessible sockets need accessible isolation

but they also say each appliance should have an isolating switch

Im not saying what the rule is, just that one DP switch per socket outlet seems overkill for some situations. Putting tripple sockets under the counter might be the answer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Im not saying what the rule is, just that one DP switch per socket outlet seems overkill for some situations. Putting tripple sockets under the counter might be the answer:D

think a written letter to the ETCI is in order robbie:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

i wonder should they eventually go the commercial route and put an emergency stop button to isolate all electrical appliances in the kitchen(cooker included)

evosteo wrote: »
    think a written letter to the ETCI is in order robbie:P
    :D
    meercat wrote: »
    i wonder should they eventually go the commercial route and put an emergency stop button to isolate all electrical appliances in the kitchen(cooker included)

Would need a contactor setup in the DB for it anyway.

Advertisement