Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Smart phone should I buy???? HELP PLEASE!

Options
  • 27-06-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi, i'm a newbie but was delighted to find these boards. I'm looking for a smart phone and am going to throw out there the spec that I want. hopefully someone can suggest the right phone for me. I haven't gotten much help in the phone shops because I don't think I'm explaining myself. I'm a nokia fan, I've bought other brands over the years and always ended up disillusioned. Basically I want an android phone, with, predictive text nokia style preferably not like qwerty keyboard. I want at least a 5 mega pixal camera which takes decent photos, also easily accessable apps, usb connection, bluetooth, mp3 player, radio, WIFI, nice ammount of memory and this is the clincher.. I don't know what the technical terms are but my current nokia has a touch screen that is light sensitive as opposed to heat sensitive (If that wasn't in there I'd be the owner of an i phone I believe!) I don't like slider phones. In a nutshell something exactly like an iphone but with a differant type of touch screen and keyboard, page. I'm giving myself a month. I'm currently with meteor and want to stay with them. I want to get a postpay phone and my price range is under the hundred but would prefer to get one for way less and I want to only pay out around €40 a month. I'm not very tuned into technical lingo so if anyone is replying to this thread please explain in english. thanks:D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Hi, i'm a newbie but was delighted to find these boards. I'm looking for a smart phone and am going to throw out there the spec that I want. hopefully someone can suggest the right phone for me. I haven't gotten much help in the phone shops because I don't think I'm explaining myself. I'm a nokia fan, I've bought other brands over the years and always ended up disillusioned. Basically I want an android phone, with, predictive text nokia style preferably not like qwerty keyboard. I want at least a 5 mega pixal camera which takes decent photos, also easily accessable apps, usb connection, bluetooth, mp3 player, radio, WIFI, nice ammount of memory and this is the clincher.. I don't know what the technical terms are but my current nokia has a touch screen that is light sensitive as opposed to heat sensitive (If that wasn't in there I'd be the owner of an i phone I believe!) I don't like slider phones. In a nutshell something exactly like an iphone but with a differant type of touch screen and keyboard, page. I'm giving myself a month. I'm currently with meteor and want to stay with them. I want to get a postpay phone and my price range is under the hundred but would prefer to get one for way less and I want to only pay out around €40 a month. I'm not very tuned into technical lingo so if anyone is replying to this thread please explain in english. thanks:D.

Hi this superb phone will fulfill all your needs :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263837

http://cgi.ebay.de/LG-E900-OPTIMUS-7-WINDOWS-PHONE-7-BLACK-5M-KAMERA-HANDY-/140557800149?pt=DE_Handy_s&hash=item20b9e5d2d5#ht_3242wt_1139

€173 and its unlocked to any network (its running windows phone 7 though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i honestly don't know what you mean here. Afaik there are 2 types of screen i.e. resistive and capacitive. Capacitive is the much better technology and is found on all mid to high-end touchscreen phones today

you can change the keyboard to a predictive phone keypad (as opposed to qwerty) on all android phones so that's not an issue

i would suggest the desire/desire s or the galaxy s (possibly the galaxy ace also) - which ever falls into your price bracket

smart 35 plan - 200 mins, 200 texts, 1 gb data, free m2m calls&texts (12 month promo). 12 months = €35pm, 18 months = €30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Hi, thanks for the reply. I explained the touch screen thing wrong. Basically. I like the one you can use with a stylus as I tend to text with my nails. lol I had a samsung touch screen one that need to kind of feel the heat of my finger before it responded. I'll definately look those up anyway. A bit of a downer is that If I want to go on any of those smart plans I loose my m to m free talk and text because I'm curreently on a "light bill plan". I went and asked about it and they said only if I was a new customer would I get these. However it was suggested to me that I move to a ready to go plan first and then I could move onto a smart plan. So I randg and gave them notice the other day and I'll be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Hi, thanks for the reply. I explained the touch screen thing wrong. Basically. I like the one you can use with a stylus as I tend to text with my nails. lol I had a samsung touch screen one that need to kind of feel the heat of my finger before it responded. I'll definately look those up anyway. A bit of a downer is that If I want to go on any of those smart plans I loose my m to m free talk and text because I'm curreently on a "light bill plan". I went and asked about it and they said only if I was a new customer would I get these. However it was suggested to me that I move to a ready to go plan first and then I could move onto a smart plan. So I randg and gave them notice the other day and I'll be doing that.
    You probably want resistive then but it's the poorest of the 2 types. It'll make it easier to text but might make the whole phone less responsive when moving through menus(my past phones were resistive and they were horrible to use, not smartphone though )

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I'm lookin at getting the Galaxy Ace. it looks like a good phone. I'm impressed by the spec. Anyone know is it up there with the good ones? it would suit my pocket more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

upper mid range is how I'd describe the ace. if I was buying a payg android, its what I'd choose. its good but you'd notice the difference if you got the likes of a desire s

Advertisement