Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free things to do in County Cavan?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi Guys, looking for a bit of help here! I want to do something different tomorrow around county Cavan but I can't seem to find much info and the tourist office isn't great IMO. Basically, there's going to be four adults and a young child leaving from Cavan Town. Looking for something like Killykeen, but not Killykeen because I've been there thousands of times and there's not much to do once you've done the walk around and the fishing/swimming bit! Was also looking at Ballyjamesduff Museum? Anyone know of prices etc cant find anything re prices on the net. My third option is Dun a Rí forest park in Kingscourt, looks decent enough, bit of a change of scenery and Cabra castle is nearby which looks nice too. I'm just wondering if it would be worth the drive to Kingscourt? I don't want to be dragging a child all that way for nothing :D
    Sorry for the million questions and drawn out post!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

havent a clue re prices, i presume the museum is free, id also go for a spin and check out.. kilmore cathedral with the mad doorway taken from the crannog on lougfh oughter and nearby bishop bedells grave with the mad skull and crossbones on it, and across the road in the older part of the cemetry theres some mad tombs there also.. maybe sure spin to ballyconnell and drive up the quarry road to the windmills for the absolute fantastic view of most of county cavan, (also have a quick look on this forum for the picture geussing game thread, might give a few ideas on places to visit), flemings folly in ballinagh another great visit, the shannon pot near glan, hmmm close to cavan..... finn macools fingers up shantemon.. a nice walk and view!! redhills to see where they filmed "the playboys then rent the dvd afterwards and try to pick out the spots,
    i recommend a hike to flemings folly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

also, if ye were actually plannin on travelling as far as kingscourt then why not go see the cairns in lough crew near oldcastle (meath/cavan border) ye can get the key to get into the main cairn from the house near the gate.. its like a mini newgrange!! and free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree flanum
    i believe there are guides up there in the summer
    went last year and was impressed enough
    free also but tipped the guide as he was very good with the 2 kids
    if there, visit nearby loughcrew gardens and nice coffee shop
    you can have coffee without paying entrance fee to gardens
    visit deerpark forest park in virginia for nice walks to stream and lough ramor
    nice playground for kids beside gaa pitch in virginia out dublin road

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

thanks guys for the replies we ended up going to Killykeen and got rained off!:D made the most of it anyway and done a good walk around the park lots of fishermen about! Followed it up with a trip to the playground on the Cathedral road in town and safe to say I am shattered!All that walking and running around after a four year is extremely tiring!
    My next day trip plan is Dun a Rí forest park and I didnt even know there was a park near Lough Ramor, was actually heading up that way until the rain appeared!
    Flemmings Folly is also great, my grandad used to bring me up there as a child and I loved it, never even thought of it either!Thanks for reminding me of it!

On a side note; does anyone know what the story is with Killykeen? Is Coillte looking after it anymore? A lot of the trees have been cut down and the road leading to the lake is in need of desperate repair, I nearly lost a tyre going down it! There's quite a few signs around saying that it's unsafe to swim or paddle in! I've also heard the chalets are closed this summer aswell? I'd love to see it back to it's former glory, the days of the big restaurant and crowds of people up there. There was always something to do up there, now it's either fishing or walking!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

markievicz wrote: »
    On a side note; does anyone know what the story is with Killykeen? Is Coillte looking after it anymore? A lot of the trees have been cut down and the road leading to the lake is in need of desperate repair, I nearly lost a tyre going down it! There's quite a few signs around saying that it's unsafe to swim or paddle in! I've also heard the chalets are closed this summer aswell? I'd love to see it back to it's former glory, the days of the big restaurant and crowds of people up there. There was always something to do up there, now it's either fishing or walking!
    There are plans for Killykeen and a few hundred thousand had been allocated for projects in the dying days of the last government.
    Who knows though what will happen there though.
    (theres a different thread with links to the annonucment somewhere)

Coillte has an official policy of being a forestry company nr 1 and they will do the minimum for amenity development BUT cooperate fully with local authorities to implement projects on their lands if they take the initiative.
    So...
    Really its up to Cavan county council to get the finger out and sort out the forest park.

Dun a Ri from what i hear is being looked after much better, but thats to do with the local community more than Coillte if I understand it right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement