Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Liam Run's Again

• 27-06-2011 11:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid I used to run cross country at school. Of course this was mainly to get out of playing soccer but still.

My Dad (Liam) has been a runner for many years having run a number of marathons and coached many more through the Couch to 5K program over at CoolRunning.

So what brings me to lace up those runners again? Myself and the partner are getting married in 2013 so of course she want's to lose weight. She started going out to the gym and working out a few times. This started to make me feel really lazy so I figure I'd bust out that pair of GT2130's I bought from Amphibian King on a failed New Year's Resolution and hit the road. That was just over 2 months ago and I wanted to see where the road will take me.

Looking back at the failed New Year's attempt the big thing that jumped out at me was the lack of races. So of course the first thing I did is sign up for the Men's Mini Marathon (10K). With just over two weeks of training I achieved my target of under 1 hour.

My Dad was due to visit from Argentina and found the Dunboyne BHAA 5 Mile Race. I signed up for it and even convinced the Sports & Social Club to let me set up a running club to enter the BHAA races. My Dad set the challenge of beating him, whilst he's an experienced runner time has taken it's toll and he's no longer at his peak of 29:32 for this distance. I ran strong for the first 5k and left him my dust after the 2 mile marker. It was a great day and I came home in a time of 40:35 beating my Dad who finished in 41:41. I guess youthful energy beat the experience in that one.

Next up was the Trinity Track races where my times in the 800m and the Mile were ok, nothing to write home about but it was the first time since school sports day's I'd run such short distances.

Onto the Docklands 8k, where I set my goal of breaking 40:00. The race was great fun with me starting a little too far down the field but then I didn't want to get in the way of "serious runners" though they turned out to be people who weren't to sure about starting line etiquette.

The initial weave caused me to run faster than I should but I kept the pace going for as long as I could and it wasn't long before my Garmin was telling my I was on for good time. As I came to the first water stop I was parched and really needed the drink. Despite the rain on the day my body still isn't quite used to running the pace I was at. I kept on almost to the end when just before the last corner a stitch snuck up and kicked me in the side. Fortunately there were some kids cheering at the side of the course. The line "come on mister, it's only round the corner" really picked up so I set back off down the finish straight. Once I saw the clock was at 39:00 I kicked off to finish in 39:17 and 38:26 on the chip.

Next up is the Phoenix Park 5K so we'll see how that goes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Sounds like you've got the beginnings of a plan there Liam.
    Good luck with it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Last nights run was good, I brought two guys from work bringing the Work BHAA team up to 3 members.

The weather was lovely for the race. We started at the side of the main road in the park before taking a cut across the grass and round the GAA pitches. There was a small hill at about 1.5k which was a real buzz kill.

The second lap was easier as I knew what to expect. I was running well and as I go to the cricket pitches I decided I'd try speeding up for the finish. Normally I leave it to the last 100m but after seeing my Garmin and that I only had 400m to go I figured why not.

I finished the race in 00:23:55 setting a new PB for 5K. I was targeting 23 mins but am happy enough with this time.

More training on the way. Next race is the DCC 5k on the 13th July.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Went out on Wednesday night and ran 7.3 k around the area. This was the first time I'd gone out training the night after race. I kept going without needing to stop so was pleased with my performance. I attempted to run with a bandage on to support my knee, but I won't make that mistake again as it really caused my calf to tense up.

The plan was to follow up on Thursday with an easy 5k. I got home but passed out and managed to sleep through till this morning. I guess I'll squeeze the 5k in tonight then.

Late last night, after a roast chicken dinner, I decided to hit attempting a mighty 15km Long Slow Run. For the first time I was actually able to set off at a slow enough speed to live up to the "Slow" part of LSR.

As someone who has only ever raced up to 10km distance I wasn't too sure what to expect. Along the main road I trundled and around the many Blanch industrial parks. On I ran ever putting that foot in front of the over.

I was running with my adidias water belt. I'd made a self pledge to only drink at 4, 8 and 12 and I managed to keep that pledge.

As I approached 11km it was nearing midnight. The only road on the route with no street lights. Listening to Geeks in Running Shoes talking about trail running seemed a little bit ironic. At this point I'm starting to worry, how come I haven't stopped for a walk yet.

Coming back over the Clonee bridge I thought to myself wow I might just be able to manage this distance lark. and so I did bringing home the 15km in 1:40:24. I was happy on the run and at the end even felt like there was more in these 25 year old legs. Roll on training I say, I beat the 15 and I liked it.

Ran 5k around the area last night. This was the first time I took the dog out for a run. She's a 3 month old Border Collie so as she gets older should be an ideal training partner.

This was a straightforward session though once again I left it late until I set out. I really should start doing my runs when I get home.

I misjudged my route and ended up 1.5k short as I approached home. Luckily a quick lap of the park was enough to build up the most of the distance and then an extra street into the estate to finish her off.

5k - 27:09

• Advertisement

Out last night ran 8k and followed it 5x100m Strides. Not sure if I was doing them right. Basically started running as fast I could and counting to 30. Once I ran them I'd drop back to my normal pace and count to 30. It felt good and I really enjoyed the feeling of running fast on tired legs.

I've been researching Yoga as a means to stay flexible and learn to stretch properly. There's a place in my village that does it so we'll see how that goes.

8.7km - 49:35

Good week of running this week. I only got out for three sessions last week and two were races. Set myself two PB's in each race. My long run went a little wrong on Sunday with me accidently doing 24km in 2h45. I was running to the Phoenix Park and decided to run all the way to the end before turning back. I was only meant to run 20km with the plan being to turn round 2km into the park. The trail was so nice to run on that I just kept going. I really felt it on the way back and had to take a 15 minute walk break (full distance was more like 25.5km but I turned off the watch for the 15 mins)

Current PB's

Distance|Time|Pace|Event|Date
    800 m|2:55.22|3:29|BHAA Trinity Track 800m|16/06/2011
    1.00 mi|6:59|4:21|BHAA Trinity Track 1M|16/06/2011
    3.00 km|14:20.68|4:47|BHAA Trinity Track 3km|16/06/2011
    5.00 km|22:50.41|4:32|BHAA Dublin City Council 5km|13/07/2011
    5.00 mi|37:41.95|4:40|Irish Runner 5M|16/07/2011
    10.00 km|55:41|5:35|ARC Men's Mini Marathon|02/05/2011

Training
    4 Sessions completed this week.

7.27km - 40:30
    10.11km - 54:11
    6.71km - 37:35
    18.07km -2:04:44

Total distance 26.2 Miles in a time of 4:16:56 now to just stick that all together and run it once.

Equipment
    After the dog chewed one of the bottles from my Adidas running belt, I decided to replace it with a Camelbak. I ran with it on the long run and have to say I was very impressed. I only bought the 1.5l Hydrobak and I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Other Training
    Every night I take the dog for a walk, she's a Border Collie and gets a 3km walk. We took her for a hike in Ticknock on Sunday of 6.5km

This was the first week of Yoga. I signed up for a 6 week class pack at Purehealth in Ongar. Hopefully this will teach me to stretch properly.

having read Born to Run and talking to a guy called Andrew who I started the 5 Mile race next to in Phoneix Park, I decided to get a pair of FiveFingers I bought the KSO Treksport. I had my first proper run in them last night a steady 11km around the local area. The run went well though my calves where rock solid when I finished. 11km in 1 hour was a decent enough time

My second Yoga class was last night, not as good as the first as we did more lying down stretches. I still felt the benefit though.

I have entered the Dun Laoghaire 10k on Monday. I'm aiming to breach 50 Minutes for the first time at that distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

liamog wrote: »
    having read Born to Run and talking to a guy called Andrew who I started the 5 Mile race next to in Phoneix Park, I decided to get a pair of FiveFingers I bought the KSO Treksport. I had my first proper run in them last night a steady 11km around the local area. The run went well though my calves where rock solid when I finished. 11km in 1 hour was a decent enough time

My second Yoga class was last night, not as good as the first as we did more lying down stretches. I still felt the benefit though.

I have entered the Dun Laoghaire 10k on Monday. I'm aiming to breach 50 Minutes for the first time at that distance

Be careful in the KSO's. A first run of 11k in them is not the best idea to be honest. You should really start off quite slowly in them. You could definitely do your self some damage if you continue running the same distances as you did in your normal runners.

here's a good link to read before you do your next run in them.

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/please-slow-down

I do all my running in standard KSO's and I am hoping to do the DCM 2011 in them. I think it's worth the transition but just be careful in the beginning.

Best of Luck.

Rob

• Advertisement

BobMac104 wrote: »

Be careful in the KSO's. A first run of 11k in them is not the best idea to be honest. You should really start off quite slowly in them. You could definitely do your self some damage if you continue running the same distances as you did in your normal runners.

here's a good link to read before you do your next run in them.

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/please-slow-down

I do all my running in standard KSO's and I am hoping to do the DCM 2011 in them. I think it's worth the transition but just be careful in the beginning.

Best of Luck.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'm planning on taking it slower just wanted one longer run to start to see what they'd feel like. I'm now back to running in the GT2160's. Is there anywhere I can find VFF transistion plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

liamog wrote: »
    Thanks Rob, I'm planning on taking it slower just wanted one longer run to start to see what they'd feel like. I'm now back to running in the GT2160's. Is there anywhere I can find VFF transistion plans?

I dont really know of any plans really. but in gereral id say just try one short run a week in them and see how you are the day after. Do this for a couple of weeks then maybe do two short runs a week. I think some people adjust quickly while other end up with nasty injuries!

In general though the barefoot forum on runnersworld website has mountains of advice.

best of luck!

Just finished week 5 of the plan the long run hit 21km in just over 2 hours. I'm beginning to think I'm good at this running lark. Looking forward to the half in September am definitely on track to break the 2 hours. Following BobMac104's advice I have stayed off the KSO's. Just wearing them around the house and to walk the dog at the moment. I may squeeze short miles on rest days whilst wearing them just to work on form.

Yesterday saw me bust 8 minutes off my 10km time. The DLR Bay 10km was a great experience. The course wasn't easy with climbs from 3km to 6km really making me feel the run. The pen system at the start was great and should really be used at all big races (I'm looking at you race series). I entered the sub 55 pen with a goal of breaking 55 mins.

The run went well with me able to keep up a steady pace. I have a habit on runs of giving little pep talks / status checks at every kilometre mark. It's as simple as pace / time / distance left & a quick body check. I find it really motivates me. In this race with plenty of people around it even got people talking whilst out on the road. One couple I passed sounded like they were arguing about breaking 50 minutes. I checked my watch and I was on track for the high forties and it was down hill all the way. I gave the couple the info so hopefully they made it.

Coming down the finishing straight I was counting every 50m before I saw the clock. Clock time was 47:29 and Christina took an excellent photo. Chip time sent after the race was 47:04. I am really happy with this result and it shows the training is paying off.

Advertisement