Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predominance Rule for degree results

• 28-06-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.

Got results back today and got a first class honours in my degree, delighted, but when I added up my results, I was 68% - 2 percent of the first, but my results clearly said first class honours degree. so its not like I was bumped up to first class honours as the numbers clearly doesnt add up. my friend said it could be the predominance rule??? apparently where if the majority of results are a first or over, you are given that grade.

But my question therefore now is, will my official percentage be 70 so. because how do you explain that you have a first class degree, but 68 percent, as in if I was applying for something and you needed a minimum of 70, but I had 68, yet I technically have a first class degree.........

So Im confused, lol.

Any wisdom is appreciated. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bundaegi

Congrats on the first.

Are you sure you have calculated your overall percentage correctly? Each module typically has a number of ECTS credits assigned to it. So a 20 credit module would have twice the weighting of a 10 credit module. Also, depending on the programme, your performance in previous years may contribute to your final year grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

bundaegi wrote: »
    Congrats on the first.

Are you sure you have calculated your overall percentage correctly? Each module typically has a number of ECTS credits assigned to it. So a 20 credit module would have twice the weighting of a 10 credit module. Also, depending on the programme, your performance in previous years may contribute to your final year grade.

well we were marked out of a 1200 marks for this year, and so I calculated what I got out of that to match it, they gave us exactly what we got out of 1200. I did a joint honours in english and history in ucc, so Im not sure if second year has an effect on this or what.

its so mind boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from postgraduates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Tbh, no employeer is going to do the math on your grades, if you have a document from a college that states a first. Well done though on the hard work.

I'd say it's likely a weighting thing - for example do they take any % from third year? They dont really make mistakes on these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samueladams

Hey,

It's not a mistake or a weighting system. UCC has employed that system for a few years now. It started in the Science faculty and has transferred over to others as it was deemed unfair to apply it to only one faculty. It also applies to getting a 2.1 - you can get 58 and have half over 60.

If your wondering if the lecturer's bumped you up you can generally tell if one or more of the results giving you the first is exactly 70.

You offically got a first so it's not an issue jobwise. If they say 70 they mean a first but they rarely use the figure 70 as what makes up a first varies internationally (i.e. in America its >90%).

When applying for jobs you normally send a CV and cover letter in which case you state on your CV that you got a first or you fill in an online application form in which case you tick the box that says 1.1. I've received a 1.1 through the same system and it's never caused a problem.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samueladams

And in Arts second year is normally 20% of your final grade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Hey,

It's not a mistake or a weighting system. UCC has employed that system for a few years now. It started in the Science faculty and has transferred over to others as it was deemed unfair to apply it to only one faculty. It also applies to getting a 2.1 - you can get 58 and have half over 60.

If your wondering if the lecturer's bumped you up you can generally tell if one or more of the results giving you the first is exactly 70.

You offically got a first so it's not an issue jobwise. If they say 70 they mean a first but they rarely use the figure 70 as what makes up a first varies internationally (i.e. in America its >90%).

When applying for jobs you normally send a CV and cover letter in which case you state on your CV that you got a first or you fill in an online application form in which case you tick the box that says 1.1. I've received a 1.1 through the same system and it's never caused a problem.

Hope that helps

thats great, and just one more question. Does that mean therefore, my percentage will automatically be 70 now, instead of 68, because of this. I know most employers are more concentrated on the over all degree, but Im pursuing another degree, so the percentage matters to me. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eoghan101

Hey everyone, quick questions.

Which Irish universities have this "Predominance Rule" in place? Is it definitely in UCC??
    Does that mean that I'm eligible for an upgrade?

Just received my results in a taught business master in UCC..
    68.9% average, 70/70+ in 5 out of 7 exams.. Got screwed in the other two subjects! :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Eoghan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Always go straight to the head of your course or someone in the registry - be really nice when asking, and someone will guide you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Does that mean therefore, my percentage will automatically be 70 now, instead of 68, because of this.

No. It doesn't alter your actual exam grades. Your script is correct. 68.

• Advertisement
Advertisement