Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice required for rented room

Options
  • 28-06-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've been renting a room in a place for last 3 years and have decided to move. If I was to give notice tomorrow to my landlord to move out on the 31st of July

1. Is this fair in terms of notice since I've no contract with him but have been renting a room for the last 3 years from him?

2. I normally pay rent on the 25th of the month which pays up to the 25th of the next month. (unusual but that was the date I moved into the place and just what was agreed at the time.)

What would be a far compromise in terms of payment for the extra week I'm staying past the normal paid up to date. The rent is normal 275 a month so I would have said since I'm extending the stay by an extra 6 days that 275/4 would be more than fair.

I do get on well with the Landlord as hes treated me well to date so want to leave on good terms.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does your landlord live in the same house? If so it's a licensee situation (rent a room) and that is more than enough notice...there is no legally required period.

If the landlord doesn't...it's more complicated

If you've signed no lease, and the house is not owner occupied, then you're most likely in a part 4 tenancy, where the notice period increases depending on how long you have been there. For 3-4 years you'd need to give 12 weeks notice (84 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

athtrasna wrote: »
    Does your landlord live in the same house? If so it's a licensee situation (rent a room) and that is more than enough notice...there is no legally required period.

If the landlord doesn't...it's more complicated

The landlord lived in the house for the first year and a half but then got a job elsewhere and have to move out. His brother holds a room in the house now though I think that doesn't really matter to be honest.

found the new housemate just sleeping on the floor outside my room so just decided good time to move out :P I'm sure the landlord would kick him out if I asked but I'm in an area where he'll struggle to get someone else in and feel after being on my own for a while before this latest housemate that its just easier for me to move into somewhere new.

Be careful. The last place I lived in, I was in a part 4 and didn't know of it. Gave a month's notice and left. The landlord withheld my deposit (not for that reason) and Threshold wouldn't help me because I didn't give the required 56 days notice. So I lost the lot. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The landlord lived in the house for the first year and a half but then got a job elsewhere and have to move out. His brother holds a room in the house now though I think that doesn't really matter to be honest.

found the new housemate just sleeping on the floor outside my room so just decided good time to move out :P I'm sure the landlord would kick him out if I asked but I'm in an area where he'll struggle to get someone else in and feel after being on my own for a while before this latest housemate that its just easier for me to move into somewhere new.

"His brother holds a room" ... Does he live there? If he does, you are still a lodger (licensee as athtrasna has said) and you are only required to give "reasonable notice". A rent period is quite sufficient (a month) even two weeks would normally be enough under normal circumstances.
    2. I normally pay rent on the 25th of the month which pays up to the 25th of the next month.
    If rent is paid monthly on the 25th, it includes up to midnight of the 24th of the following month. It does not include the 25th of the following month which is "rent day" and the start of a new rent period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be useful to ask is a month OK.

Advertisement