Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 Cork to Midleton "Dual Carrigeway" question

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

The Cork-bound carriageway of that Mickey Mouse excuse for a dual-carriageway is unsafe.

Show me stats that suggests this? as a long time regular N71 commuter I can't recall any major incidents on the section in question in it's decade long existence.
    I don't think getting rid of a 1.9km section which has single-carriageway at either end is going to make a huge difference to that route.

Every morning and every evening without fail heavy congestion and tailbacks occur from the Bandon Rd. R/A to the dual-carriageway, your suggestion of eliminating one carriageway in its entirety would stretch these queues from the viaduct all the way back to the top of the hill!

Think about it a moment, you're suggesting reducing the capacity of a section that has an AADT of 30k!:eek:
    If the dual-carriageway exetended as far as the Bandon Road roundabout you might have a point.

Afair at the tale end of the celtic bubble Cork County council mooted plans to 2x2 this stretch a few years ago upon completion of the Bandon flyover.

But my point is still valid, eliminating a carriageway in its entirety will further add to gridlock already present.

getting rid of this pathetic excuse for a dual-carriageway is hardly going to make much of a difference.

Truly spoken like someone who doesn't have to use the road on a regular basis.
    Maybe you should complain to the NRA and Cork Co. Council - they might get their act together and replace it with a proper dual-carriageway.

Nah

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Afair at the tale end of the celtic bubble Cork County council mooted plans to 2x2 this stretch a few years ago upon completion of the Bandon flyover.

NRA propose to do more than 2+2 it, put in a full type 1 DC; and 2+2 from the opposite end to Halfway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

MYOB wrote: »
    NRA propose to do more than 2+2 it, put in a full type 1 DC; and 2+2 from the opposite end to Halfway.

Good to know, although things on the N71 close to the Bandon Road roundabout should be much better once the flyovers for the Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road roundabouts are finished, simply because there will be less traffic trying to get onto the Bandon Road flyover.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

MYOB wrote: »
    Nearly sure there's only three of that standard left on N roads in the entire country - N4, N25, N71 (and minimal anywhere else, there's a bit on the R445 for instance)

More than that. You've left out the biggest substantial strech which remains, the N11 Stillorgan Road between Donneybrook and Shankill is regular at grade D2AP, with loads of median crossings (and traffic lights to boot), private accesses a-plenty, and I think only 3 GSJs in this entire strech.

Some others although not on N-roads - the R113 Belgard Road, the R132 Swords bypass, I'm sure I could think of more. Regular D2APs are more common that the OP might think.

The N4 between Hueston and Leixlip and N7 between Crumlin and Naas were both of this standard until very reccent upgrade projects too. The N18 between Limerick and Shannon has been GSJed and had its median closed but there's still some private accesses.

As an aside to the OP - "dual carraigeway" refers to any road which has the two directions of traffic seperated by a barrier. It doesn't necessary need to have two lanes in each direction either (D1s do exist) and it is not a necessity that junctions be grade seperated and it is comparatively recent that we've been building dual carriageways that have all their junctions grade seperated and no private accesses (which TBH is very close to being a motorway at that stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

We shouldn't lose the plot when finding fault with the likes of the N71. It is a dual carriageway with a central reservation and some LILO junctions to private property or minor roads. This is infinitely safer than than the many single carriageway roads in the country, many of which are quite busy, especially other national secondary routes. Not every road can be a motorway, nor every junction grade separated, nor should it be.

The Stillorgan road is different as it is urban and speed restricted with a bus lane etc. That said they should have built a GSJ at Stillorgan where the levels would have suited and there is significant cross traffic at Stillorgan Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah I take your point and thanks everyone for sparking up what is quite an interesting debate. I suppose for me what was most striking about the N25 stretch was how it looked so obvious that it started out life as a single carriageway two way road and the council just built another road beside it with minimal work on any of the private or public accesses to the roads, it's nice to know that if anyone tried to propose something like that nowadays they'd be laughed out of the NRA office. I'd also presume that new developments along these routes would never see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

icdg wrote: »
    More than that. You've left out the biggest substantial strech which remains, the N11 Stillorgan Road between Donneybrook and Shankill is regular at grade D2AP, with loads of median crossings (and traffic lights to boot), private accesses a-plenty, and I think only 3 GSJs in this entire strech.

Some others although not on N-roads - the R113 Belgard Road, the R132 Swords bypass, I'm sure I could think of more. Regular D2APs are more common that the OP might think.

The N4 between Hueston and Leixlip and N7 between Crumlin and Naas were both of this standard until very reccent upgrade projects too. The N18 between Limerick and Shannon has been GSJed and had its median closed but there's still some private accesses.

These are urban and not likely to end up with high speed median crossing crashes. Hopefully. So its not quite the same thing as the rural old-style (or "British style"!) D2AP with no signal controlled junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miranda7

The only piece of the Cork to Midleton Road in the late 60's was about 2 miles from Tivoli to Little Island. All single carriageway apart from that. those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The mother in law lives in one of those houses with an entrance directly onto the dual carriage-way between Setrights and the sixmilebridge turn off om the Limerick-Shannon road. There are about 12 houses along that section next to one another. It is damn annoying and dangerous to get out of. And the really annoying thing is that all of them have very large gardens extending back to the road you take to get to Sixmilebridge if you are coming from Limerick but the council will NOT let then open an entrance onto that road even though it would be infinitely safer than coming directly onto a dual carraigeway :confused:

Advertisement