Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ju jitsu newbbb

• 28-06-2011 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Really interested in giving bjj a go. Have boxed for a long time but want to learn a ground game. Thinking of going to SBG. But its pricey, anyone recommend a good club thats cheap. Im living in tallaght...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bagels90

if you live in tallaght i would reccommend going to spartan martial arts academy ....great coaches there and they held an excellent competition over the weekend. they are situated in the glen abbey estate on the belgard road. they teach jiujitsu wrestling and striking and you would be in good hands. btw this topic is probably more for the self defence/martial arts forum just to let ya know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bagels90 wrote: »
    btw this topic is probably more for the self defence/martial arts forum just to let ya know :)

I suppose that depends on weather or not he wants to learn BJJ as a whole or he is choosing to including BJJ as grappling training for his MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

rocco. wrote: »
    Really interested in giving bjj a go. Have boxed for a long time but want to learn a ground game. Thinking of going to SBG. But its pricey, anyone recommend a good club thats cheap. Im living in tallaght...

€79 a month is not that expensive for the amount of classes that are on offer. Monthly mat fees will vary from around €60 - €80 or €10 - €15 for drop in rates depending on where you go but if you decide that you want to train regularly in BJJ (which you will after you've experienced your first few rolls :D) the montlhy fee will be the best money you spend each month I guarantee you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Just to echo the last post; you get out of it what you put into it. If you, like most others who start training, get hooked, then you'll end up coming out very well as regards value for money. The 79 covers all classes, a pretty extensive timetable. If just BJJ is what you want then you'll pretty much be able to train every day, twice a day.

At the minute I average about 10 hours mat time a week (more or less depending on my work shifts) so that's about 5 classes. So if you break it down to a per class basis, I'm paying about 4 euro per class. I don't do any of the striking or wrestling on offer either nor the MMA classes. It's a pretty good deal all told. However the Tallaght place may be closer to you. But the mat fees will be in and around the same for any decent gym.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Jesus lads the man just said he can't afford it!

Spartan are in Tallaght as stated, and there's BJJ in Walkinstown in Chupasart Gym. I know Chupasart have a pay per class system which might make it more affordable and I don't know how much or what way Spartan do their fees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

+1 on that one.

He didn't say he couldn't afford it, he just said it seems pricey.

Richy06 wrote: »
    He didn't say he couldn't afford it, he just said it seems pricey.

+1 on that one

I was only pointing out that it would be €10 for a drop in class and if you were to train twice a week the monthly fee is not that dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

In fairness he said that it was expensive rather than that he couldn't afford it. I don't think the price vs value discussion is off the wall, particularly given the OP is coming from a boxing background, which is far cheaper across the board.

OP there's Spartan in Tallaght, two SBG's on the luas line and Dylan Costigan's club in Clondalkin (does anyone know if that's still in operation)? Give them a go and see which matches up best location, price and atmosphere-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Tallaght Martial Arts Academy

Hi as some of the people on here have said there is our club Spartan... we are located on the belgard road near the jacobs factory.. we have classes on nearly every night and will be starting day time classes soon...

You are more than welcome to come down and try a class... If you need anymore details u can pm

• Advertisement

Clive wrote: »
    In fairness he said that it was expensive rather than that he couldn't afford it.
    After reading back you're correct. However the guy asked for a club other than SBG. I know the guys are enthusiastic... I'm just sayin.

Dylan Costigan still runs Next generation Clondalkin (formerly Three Castles) in Clondalkin as well. I'm just not the best at Southside geography so I didn't know how close that was to Tallaght. Good club there and Dylan is a good guy.

I train in Coolmine BJJ but didn't offer any suggestions over the southside as I don't know all the clubs/prices.

I was actually talking about your place Barry on the €60 month (4a student)/€65 great value in my opinion :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Spartan are in Tallaght as stated, and there's BJJ in Walkinstown in Chupasart Gym. I know Chupasart have a pay per class system which might make it more affordable and I don't know how much or what way Spartan do their fees.

I'm about 90% certain Chupasart is 7 euro per class for BJJ and MT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

After reading back you're correct. However the guy asked for a club other than SBG.

he didnt. in fact he said he was 'thinking of going' the only problem being that's 'its pricey'. the lads were just pointing out when you actually work it out its pretty reasonable, probably about same price as the other gyms and probably has same number of bjj/submission/mma champions training daily as the rest of dublins gyms combined.

i dont care one way or the other tbh, gym is doing fine...but just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

he didnt. in fact he said he was 'thinking of going' the only problem being that's 'its pricey'. the lads were just pointing out when you actually work it out its pretty reasonable, probably about same price as the other gyms and probably has same number of bjj/submission/mma champions training daily as the rest of dublins gyms combined.

Apologies SBG! With the quality of fighters, coaches and number of classes it is a fair price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

rocco. wrote: »
    Apologies SBG! With the quality of fighters, coaches and number of classes it is a fair price.

no worries, and good luck with your training wherever you end up :)

john kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Well said Barry.oglesby

79 euro for a normal lad is not cheap at all

Thats 948 euro for 12 months training, add to that paying into BJJ competitions and MMA leagues and i cant see the working class lad affording that.

Spartan are good lads worth a look at either way.

I think it's good value too, but a lot of people are struggling to meet the costs of eating and living these days so I can understand how 60/70/80 euro upfront payment would be difficult for them regardless of the value. I don't think it's fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

you do realize there is over 120 classes in that month, With experienced coaches teaching.

If you were to attend all of those classes it would workout as 65 cent per class.

Thats pretty cheap

da-bres wrote: »
    you do realize there is over 120 classes in that month, With experienced coaches teaching.

If you were to attend all of those classes it would workout as 65 cent per class.

Thats pretty cheap

I agree, excellent value, as are most of the Dublin full time clubs. As per usual the internet has swallowed my original point though, which is that people might not be able to afford a blanket monthly payment regardless of value in these times, so to me it's a little insensitive when someone asks for something cheaper to keep telling them about the more expensive option.

Just sayin. A lot of people are hurting really badly and a lot of those guys want to train. As it happens this time it appears as though this lad just needed the pricing structure explained to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

The cost of a gym doesn't bother me at all.

I think the people that are meant to train in a certain gym will train in a certain gym and the people that aren't meant to train in that certain gym will train somewhere else. And all will be right with the universe.

I am ridiculously reasonable when it comes to mat fee's if you ask any of my guys, if they want to pay at a particular time, in particular amounts, lost their job and need some support all of that is really no problem and I take it on a person to person basis. However people that complain about the price being to expensive before even stepping on the mat and trying out a class, making new friends and seeing the benefits of training... they're the kind of people I don't want in my gym and I'd gladly pay them to send them somewhere else.

Personally I spare no expense when it comes to my training and equipment, martial arts permeates my entire being and I find only other "lifer's" understand. You can't put a price on the health benefits, the buzz and the lifelong friendships I've made all through martial arts. It really is priceless.

Just sayin. A lot of people are hurting really badly and a lot of those guys want to train.

Absolutely Barry. And in instances like that it should come down to the Coaches discretion. :)

OP best of luck wherever your training takes you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Well said Barry.oglesby

Thats 948 euro for 12 months training, add to that paying into BJJ competitions and MMA leagues and i cant see the working class lad affording that.

Spartan is 65 per month, is that within the means of a working class lad in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm getting you Barry, and Luke too.

For a lot of people these days, regardless what the money is going on - be it martial arts training, a few pints with the missus or coke & hookers :p something else has to make way to accommodate it.

Without the kind generosity of some people (I'll not name them here) my training in the last few months would have been pedestrian at best - and even at that sometimes I'm finding I'm making a decision on using my diesel for practice or work next morning.

So I'd thank Barry for the sensitivity shown on the issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'm getting you Barry, and Luke too.

For a lot of people these days, regardless what the money is going on - be it martial arts training, a few pints with the missus or coke & hookers :p something else has to make way to accommodate it.

Without the kind generosity of some people (I'll not name them here) my training in the last few months would have been pedestrian at best - and even at that sometimes I'm finding I'm making a decision on using my diesel for practice or work next morning.

So I'd thank Barry for the sensitivity shown on the issue here.

This sums up the difference between 14 euro a month to some people, if you have it the club might be worth it, but if your broke that 14 euro could be massive difference to some people-unless your in that position its too easy to say its cheap or value for money etc..

On that note any club mentioned will be good for you and if you join any then your on the way to learning a great sport and having many happy days.

PS, When i hear people say that stuff is too expensive and then they spend money on unneccesarry stuff it bugs me no end.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Well said Barry.oglesby

No I disagree with you. A "working class" lad would probably mean a labourer or the like yes? So about 15k per annum which means his health and fitness 5-6 days per week would cost about 1k per annum. 10 nights out would cost you that. Now there's more to life than training of course, but assuming the average industrial wage and the massive benefits you get out of training in terms of health, social life and just pure enjoyment, I think it's worth it. You can probably do the same with a free club, but free stuff tends not to last long since there's no one to pay for mats, insurance, full time coaches etc. etc. etc.

All I'm saying, and in fairness I slightly misinterpreted the original post, is that life is really hard for a lot of guys right now and that it can be a little embarrassing to have to come on the internet and explain why you can't afford a monthly fee. So I didn't like the responses although I would share some of the views expressed within them.

Actually blogged about this a week ago, but you probably haven't read it (not many people do :)) http://grapplerman.com/2011/06/21/budgeting-for-training-no-seriously/

But like everything on the internet and it seems, boards in particular, I've been just as misinterpreted as the OP :)

lukeyjudo wrote: »
    The cost of a gym doesn't bother me at all.
    I bet it would if you couldn't afford it! In a tight spot, literally a tenner can mean a lot.
    I think the people that are meant to train in a certain gym will train in a certain gym and the people that aren't meant to train in that certain gym will train somewhere else. And all will be right with the universe.
    Yes. I hate seeing the facebook rows between people saying "r gym is d best mn urs is ****e". Find somewhere you like and train. Too many people having pissing contests.
    I am ridiculously reasonable when it comes to mat fee's if you ask any of my guys, if they want to pay at a particular time, in particular amounts, lost their job and need some support all of that is really no problem and I take it on a person to person basis. However people that complain about the price being to expensive before even stepping on the mat and trying out a class, making new friends and seeing the benefits of training... they're the kind of people I don't want in my gym and I'd gladly pay them to send them somewhere else.
    That's very cool of you and that's similar to my own outlook.
    Personally I spare no expense when it comes to my training and equipment, martial arts permeates my entire being and I find only other "lifer's" understand. You can't put a price on the health benefits, the buzz and the lifelong friendships I've made all through martial arts. It really is priceless.
    I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I actually really liked your priorities for training Barry. There's some people who will put that money aside. I know from September i'll be one of them, I've the advantage ( or disadvantage ) of not drinking or going out. So i know I'll save the money on Drinks etc and invest it in training. Just from listening to my brother i know it can be hard when money gets tough and your living on your own. So anyone willing to help other people pursuit something they love but might not be able to afford is doing a good deed in my opinion.

Saying that i don't think good deeds pay rent, so there's a fine line between it.

I bet it would if you couldn't afford it! In a tight spot, literally a tenner can mean a lot.

No really. I'd find a way to train and pursue what I love doing. I have done in the past.

But in fairness I do see your point and enjoyed your blog.

Otherwise, terribly nice conversation we have had old chum. Same time next week? Good day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Im reading this and I feel I have to make a contribution as this was an issue for me when I decided to go back into training.

Like a lot of people I had to take a significant pay cut last year so money is tight. Also, I have to work quite long hours due to my department being stretched so I cannot train as regularly as I like... its not a choice if I want to keep my job!

When i went looking for a club there were lots of places with good monthly fee's but I would only get to train twice or possibly 3 times a week... sometimes only once - when you work that over a month, its quite expensive per class. My current club were extremely accommodating and I can pre-pay for classes in bulk (more I pay for cheaper it is) and work it down.. this suits me much better as I can go when I can and if I cant, im not paying the same as someone who goes 6 times a week.

To be honest this is about flexibility, clubs need to understand that there are people out there who may not be able to afford a flat monthly fee or do not feel its worth it for the time they will be training. A lot of gyms have fallen because of their inability to deal with this. I think clubs need to cater for people either on a case by case basis if possible, or by increasing their payment options.

lukeyjudo wrote: »
    No really. I'd find a way to train and pursue what I love doing. I have done in the past.
    yeah but it'd bother you! I like to think I'd always find a way too but it can be an expensive little habit. Pretty cheap to train when you're committed though.
    But in fairness I do see your point and enjoyed your blog.
    Thanks, I enjoy writing it.
    Otherwise, terribly nice conversation we have had old chum. Same time next week? Good day!
    If only all internet conversations could be as polite. Life would be simply spiffing.

I totally emphasise on the money thing. I am in a similar situation myself. My job pays terribly and the government and rent et al don't help matters. I don't get out for a drink much anymore, I kinda use the money to train if I'm honest. My original post about the fees were misinterpreted though. I simply though the OP thought it was a bit pricey to be paying that much monthly on anything so I thought I'd shed some light on what you get for that money. It wasn't meant to be insensitive in any way as to his financial situation nor was it meant as a "come train at my club" diatribe.

Either way, hopefully wherever you end up you get on well OP.

PS
    Read the blog when you posted it Barry, really liked it and hope you keep posting them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

While we're on the topic of blogs, my own coach is traveling at the moment and i noticed he liked this on facebook. Been reading it for the past 20 minutes.

http://www.bjjglobetrotter.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

I'm about 90% certain Chupasart is 7 euro per class for BJJ and MT.

I've train there in the past and you're right.

Paddy Clint runs a Muay Thai Team down there and BJJ is taught by Rafael Sapo' black belt Cesar Morcegao.

I'm not affiliated with any club but from experience I would recommend that you choose a club yourself and maybe drop in to watch a class - you'll find out if the place is for you or not.

Don't go by price or location alone mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

I've train there in the past and you're right.

Paddy Clint runs a Muay Thai Team down there and BJJ is taught by Rafael Sapo' black belt Cesar Morcegao.

what days and time are the bjj classes in Chupasart?
    they only have the muay thai classes on their timetable on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

nino1 wrote: »
    what days and time are the bjj classes in Chupasart?
    they only have the muay thai classes on their timetable on their website.

Monday night and Saturday lunchtime for definite but for times best to ring them or facebook them perhaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

SDTimeout wrote: »
    While we're on the topic of blogs, my own coach is traveling at the moment and i noticed he liked this on facebook. Been reading it for the past 20 minutes.

http://www.bjjglobetrotter.com/

Serious website. Barry got me onto while he was planning so I've followed it from the start. Great read and very interesting.

On the training issue, I'm very fortunate that I'm not in the position that's being described, but I can understand the challenge for those that are, especially those that are out of work completely.

That being said, if you can find somewhere near you (within walking/jogging/cycling distance) and yo've nothing else to do, it'd be a great avenue to get you out of the house and focus on learning a new skill and doing something worthwhile. And that goes without mentioning the great relationships that are formed with a tight training group.

People show up in Barry's gym all the time early, and stay late after class just chatting and talking about shared interests. It's almost like being in the pub. But with less alcohol, more sweat, and a slightly more pleasant smell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

People show up in Barry's gym all the time early, and stay late after class just chatting and talking about shared interests. It's almost like being in the pub. But with less alcohol, more sweat, and a slightly more pleasant smell

This. I usually get to my club about 6, train for about 2 hours, have a sit down and chat, have a roll about, more chat, hit the bags, more chat and then home. Better than a boozer but the wifey is none too happy sometimes!

Not too sure about the smell being more pleasant... im on a Paleo diet at the moment so any bum coughs smell like a skunk crawled up my ass and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mmkay

chupasart in ballymount ind estate .
    tue and thu morning 10-11 and sat 1.30-3.30 teacher cesar morcegao
    black belt . 15 years experience . also teaches in raw every night beside portebello bridge.www.morcegaoteam.com

Advertisement