Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox 360 usb harddrive partition question

• 28-06-2011 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

I have a usb harddrive that I use to download demos on my xbox 360.
    The drive is fully formatted in fat32.
    I was wondering if I created an NTFS partition on this usb harddrive would the harddrive still be usable and recognised by the xbox 360.
    Or does the whole harddrive have to be fat32 in order for it to be used by the xbox 360 for demos and also playing movies and stuff?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I was wondering if I created an NTFS partition on this usb harddrive would the harddrive still be usable and recognised by the xbox 360.
    Or does the whole harddrive have to be fat32 in order for it to be used by the xbox 360 for demos and also playing movies and stuff?
    Thanks.

Has to be fat32, you can create an ntfs partition if you like for use in windows but the xbox won't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Cool so if I created an NTFS partition on the drive it wouldn't suddenly stop the xbox from recognising the already existing fat32 partition then?

Could I do that?
    Anyone know how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    You can't load XBox demos onto an external HDD for use on the XBox (unless there's some Giggery-Pokery that I don't know how to do).

If you're using it for Movies or Music, it would have to be formatted FAT32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yup, xbox only recognises FAT32, any other format wont be picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

You can't load XBox demos onto an external HDD for use on the XBox (unless there's some Giggery-Pokery that I don't know how to do).

If you're using it for Movies or Music, it would have to be formatted FAT32.

Yes you can copy demos over to an external usb harddrive.
    I currently do that but the entire drive is formatted in FAT32.
    I'd like to partition the hard drive because of the file size restriction of fat32 so that I'd have one partition that is FAT32 and the other partition would be NTFS.
    If I did that would the FAT32 partition still be recognised by the xbox 360 or does the entire drive have to be one big FAT32 partition?

Can what I'm thinking of doing even be done?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Yes it can be done. Just plug the hard drive into a PC, go to Disk Management, right click on your external HD and slect "Shrink Volume" to free up whatever amount of space you need for the NTFS partition. Just format the unallocated space to NTFS after that. The FAT32 partition will still be recognised by the Xbox.

Advertisement