Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Contract of Employment

Options
  • 28-06-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

My partner works for a small company involved in media. She is the only full time paid employee, the rest are temps or volunteers. Day to day she runs the business, the four directors of the company attend on an ad hoc basis. My partner has been there for 18 months and was instrumental in setting the business up. She has never received a contract of employment despite asking in writing on numerous occasions. What are her options? she is getting increasingly worried by her employers evasiveness when the subject of contract is raised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would start looking for another job, even if she doesn't want to leave a job offer could give her some leverage to get the situation sorted. I think once she is there two years she has some sort of legal protection anyway but it won't be much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Under the Terms of Employment Acts of 1994 and 2001 every employee is entitled to request and be furnished with a written contract. Failure to do so by the employer is in direct contravention of the acts. Should she be dismissed for requesting it it will be clearly a case of wrongful dismissal.

I would not recommend that she threaten to leave or line up another job in order to get a written contract. There is no need as she is legally entitled to it anyway.

http://www.employment-matters.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=29

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0005/index.html

Advertisement