Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just looking at the store there and Half Life 1 is showing as being available for Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i saw that too was just about to post.
    See the image. They are calling windows/ linux and windows windows/linux/mac "steam play"

240035.png

The only thing is I thought I was given a copy of HL1 when I got the HL2 GOTY edition. But it's not showing on my linux install. I'll have to reboot into windows to check but am too lazy right now

matrim wrote: »
    The only thing is I thought I was given a copy of HL1 when I got the HL2 GOTY edition. But it's not showing on my linux install. I'll have to reboot into windows to check but am too lazy right now

no , you got half life:source
    There is no difference in the game , but it is built on the source engine.

new feature on steam
    Featured linux games - with a handsome new penguin headshot :)
    240054.png

Valve says arch is ah okay to repackage to. Phoronix has the story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I figured out why my steam client was glitching on fullscreen. My docky was interfering with it.

Sorted now.

Played Closure. Damn addictive.

Save 66% on Unity of Command: Stalingrad Campaign!

steam daily deal

interesting news , to say the least. Spotted through the translations.
    There looks there is going to be a steam Linux sale. Which in team fortress 2 , there will be some tux item
    The date is the 20th of this month.
    I recall a release date officially of steam for Linux as February . just saying

http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/JMbLF/apparently-the-steam-linux-sale-is-coming/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

^ Pretty sweet. Might pick up afew. Just finished updating my OS to 12.10. Since i have an AMD card I was put off back in October. So far, I like it for a non LTS version. Not too shabby and performance is alot better then 12.04 was.

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    ^ Pretty sweet. Might pick up afew. Just finished updating my OS to 12.10. Since i have an AMD card I was put off back in October. So far, I like it for a non LTS version. Not too shabby and performance is alot better then 12.04 was.
    i done the oposite, i went back to the 12.04 lts ( which i had never done before) and im staying with that for a while. it just wasent stable ennough at the time for my hardware. especially the way steam were bringing out updates. just went back , may consider going to 12,10 or jumping during the summer to 13,04. Have 12.10 on the netbook though. I havent beeen on my desktop ubuntu due to needing 2 screen , which only work on windows

OMFG 241108.jpg

ALL LINUX TITLES SLASHED 50-75 % OFF ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

bpb101 wrote: »
    OMFG

ALL LINUX TITLES SLASHED 50-75 % OFF ALL

Any recommendations?

d31b0y wrote: »
    Any recommendations?

its old , but if you like a realistic 1st person , there nothing better than red orchestra.
    CS source is brill as well. so many mods for it. ( they auto install to.) most servers even have radios in them, actual radio stations.

dont know how it works but garrys mod is coming to linux , im sure that will please a lot of people

Also to note. Ubuntu 12.04.2 was released on the same day. If you are on the LTS I would suggest you make sure you have no pending updates. .2 also comes with kernel 3.5 which is carried over from 12.10 but wont be installed by default unless you are installing a fresh build of 12.04.2

In order to enable it. just jump into terminal and put in this request

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal xserver-xorg-lts-quantal

More info here.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop

i done the oposite, i went back to the 12.04 lts ( which i had never done before) and im staying with that for a while. it just wasent stable ennough at the time for my hardware. especially the way steam were bringing out updates. just went back , may consider going to 12,10 or jumping during the summer to 13,04. Have 12.10 on the netbook though. I havent beeen on my desktop ubuntu due to needing 2 screen , which only work on windows

I actually take it back. I went back to 12.04.2

Im going to get around to putting 13.04 on my macbook when it is released but since 12.04.2 made the jump to Kernel 3.5 ive been happier. That was my main reason to try 12.10. My wireless adapter worked fine on 12.04.0 but the increment update to the kernel in .1 did something that caused it to crash every now and again. So far, nothing. 12.04.2 seems to be very snappy too compared to before.

• Advertisement

Also to note. Ubuntu 12.04.2 was released on the same day. If you are on the LTS I would suggest you make sure you have no pending updates. .2 also comes with kernel 3.5 which is carried over from 12.10 but wont be installed by default unless you are installing a fresh build of 12.04.2

In order to enable it. just jump into terminal and put in this request

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal xserver-xorg-lts-quantal

More info here.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop
    Thanks for the tip , will do the update later

Note , People have to go in to tf2 IN LINUX to get the most awesomest penguin

I seriously want to know one thing..

WHERE MY L4D2? Cmon Valve <3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Just after upgrading Linux so I could get steam working.... a few hiccups later I'm just after buying crusader kings!

I feel like a kid at Christmas! :)

I would be buying games but I must hide steam til after I finish a college project. But I think we should keep our Boards.ie Linux group active on Steam and get some games on! Im going to guess alot of us have Source based games (that are not just TF2).

I would be buying games but I must hide steam til after I finish a college project. But I think we should keep our Boards.ie Linux group active on Steam and get some games on! Im going to guess alot of us have Source based games (that are not just TF2).
    i have CS source
    what about half life 2 ? - did i say half life 2 ?- i did

Maybe
    why would they mentioned a bug fix for HL2 on linux as well as day of defeat if it aint on linux?
    241538.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

why would they mentioned a bug fix for HL2 on linux as well as day of defeat if it aint on linux?

May be just part of their bug reporting system. I would be very pleased if HL2 came to linux (as I already own it :)).

I upgraded to 12.04.02 at the weekend and as part of it I uninstalled the steam package I had and was going to install from the Ubuntu repos.

I now can't install from the repos because of a dependency error. It looks like the workaround is to manually install the 32bit deb you can download directly from steam, but think I'll give it a week to see if they fix the 64 bit dependency error before doing that as I'm too busy at the moment to play anything

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    I upgraded to 12.04.02 at the weekend and as part of it I uninstalled the steam package I had and was going to install from the Ubuntu repos.

I now can't install from the repos because of a dependency error. It looks like the workaround is to manually install the 32bit deb you can download directly from steam, but think I'll give it a week to see if they fix the 64 bit dependency error before doing that as I'm too busy at the moment to play anything
    i done that and had zero problems.
    edit: however i havent done the update to 12.04.02 yet

Advertisement