Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikers with no insurance involved in fatal accident

• 28-06-2011 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

From highland radio website.
    "A 28-year-old motorcyclist found not guilty last October of dangerous driving causing the deaths of three people has now been convicted of having no insurance on the day of the accident.
    Three other motor-cyclists riding in convoy with him were also convicted at Carrick-on-Shannon District Court of having no insurance.
    Niall McGrath from Grahamstown, Ballintra, was fined €400 for being without insurance, driving licence or tax in the accident at Ballintra, on September 11, 2005.
    He avoided a driving ban when defence solicitor John McNulty told the court he sustained serious injuries in the accident and he needed his licence to travel for treatment.
    But the other three drivers were banned for 12 months each for having no insurance. They were Gary McGrath, 30, also of Grahamstown, Brian Hughes, Cashel, Rossnowlagh, 32, and Ciaran Timoney, 29, Drumholme, Ballintra.
    They also received fines from €100 to €300.
    The court heard the four motorbikers were travelling towards Donegal Town from Ballyshannon having attended a bikers' rally in Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan, earlier that day.
    They were filtering through traffic when a multi-vehicle collision occurred..
    Nora McGee, 74, from Gortahork in Donegal, was in one car and Damien and Teresa Quigg, both 49, who were a married couple from Dungiven, Co Derry, were in another. All three died in the crash.
    At a separate trial of Niall McGrath last October for dangerous driving causing the three deaths a jury found him not guilty."

They didn't 'cause' death by their riding but they contributed to it and they should never have been on the road in the first place. One had no licence, tax or insurance and gets off with a fine of €400. No ban!!

Some deterrent huh?

Twats like that give us all a bad name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Crappy little fine for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Scumbags the lot of them...wish they could see these comments but i doubt they can read.......inbreeds....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Heres an idea, how about letting go without treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I wonder was it the fabled no restriction = no insurance situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cbrlover

This sort of thing is closer than most think. How many times have you been out with someone with out of date tax or on yellow plates. There is no excuse I have never ridden a bike without tax and I have parked up bikes bought in the UK until they were reregistered.

A couple of us stopped going out with a group of lads that have been friends for years because they don’t mind and invite people to join us without knowing much about them. The last time I was out with them there were 4 lads I didn’t know 2 with no TAX (out by at least 6 months) and one on yellow plates and he had owned the bike for 4 months. If people are so blatant about what we can see (tax and yellow plates) what about insurance.

Just ask people who they are insured with and how much it costs and you will see all sorts of looks and stutters from them. Ask a month later and get a different answer.

Just be careful out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

tax is meant to pay for the upkeep of the roads, how many potholes can i count from my house to work (13km) in town that would possibly knock a motorcycle off if the driver doesnt see it? at least 6 or 7. and thats the malahide rd. the howth rd is the same.

so wheres all the tax we pay going? lining people in governments pockets? fookin looks like it.

(i always have tax paid and displayed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

copeyhagen wrote: »
    tax is meant to pay for the upkeep of the roads, how many potholes can i count from my house to work (13km) in town that would possibly knock a motorcycle off if the driver doesnt see it? at least 6 or 7. and thats the malahide rd. the howth rd is the same.

so wheres all the tax we pay going? lining people in governments pockets? fookin looks like it.

(i always have tax paid and displayed)

Tax is meant to be a income source. Road tax is put into a sequestered fund for local authoritaties. Pot holes are a issue because of a huge number of reasons, not including lack of funds from Tax evasion. All of this stems from voted representative's doing the wrong thing. We as a majority voted them in. Therefore we are to blame for potholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭gipi

The tax isn't called "road tax", it's "motor tax", and as cuddlesworth said, is nothing more than a revenue generating exercise for the government & local authorities.

gipi wrote: »
    The tax isn't called "road tax", it's "motor tax", and as cuddlesworth said, is nothing more than a revenue generating exercise for the government & local authorities.

I'm sorry....how did this thread start with the death's of innocent people end up with yet another tax debate...ffs lads:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I got a €500 EUR fine for a lot less than that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Street walking ehh? Knew the truth would come out about why you resigned as a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cantdecide wrote: »
    I wonder was it the fabled no restriction = no insurance situation?

No that's a civil issue not criminal. They just didn't have any, from reading the OP.

3rd party cover is still in place if ridding outside the terms of your licence, but the insurance company could come after someone for the amount paid out.

They must have been filtering at some speed to have killed 3 people in a car. Or did they cause the RTI that lead to the deaths? It's not clear from the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Incident happened in 2005 and it's coming to the courts now?

What were the courts and solicitors doing for the last six years?

mikemac wrote: »
    Incident happened in 2005 and it's coming to the courts now?

What were the courts and solicitors doing for the last six years?

Making up their bills............;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Ohhhhhh i wonder what that was for haha:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Street walking ehh? Knew the truth would come out about why you resigned as a mod.
    You know me! Desperate times call for desperate measures! :p
    Ohhhhhh i wonder what that was for haha:D
    Making a stupid mistake and having the proverbial book thrown at me proper! I'll tell you the story next time I see you. Probably the worst day of my life...

Advertisement