Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busking in Galway during Arts fest?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 2:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

Hey guys does anyone know whether you need a licence or permit to busk in Galway? I have a band from cork who are mad to go up and busk during the week of arts fest.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks
    www.facebook.com/PAPAZITAS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No permits needed. Just finish by 11pm, and move if the gardia tell ya to.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you can fit :)

races20050803.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

JustMary wrote: »

This was recently revised.
    No music on the street from 10pm to 10am

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JustMary wrote: »
    No, that's not how you do it, you have to stand up for your right to party and say things like "music free's the soul maan" then strip off and dance around naked using your lad as a make shift bongo drum stick, then possibly get arrested. It's all fun and games in a night out in Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 owensutton1986

Thanks lads for all the feedback. We will be on the streets then from 10 in the morning to 6. Anyone know a good spot for a big band? Any shop that would let us run power? Heres what we sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsFd0-Ld8Rw

Thanks lads, cant wait

www.facebook.com/PAPAZITAS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Any shop that would let us run power? Heres what we sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsFd0-Ld8Rw
    [/url]
    Oh sweet Jebus!
    I was against the ban on amplification...until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hamsterboy wrote: »
    This was recently revised.
    No music on the street from 10pm to 10am

HB

I thought it was 11pm in summer, 10pm in winter?

Id say there must be unreal competition for spots to busk. I can get some battery operated gear so maybe there wont be need for power but just incase if anyone knows any businesses or shops or places that i could access power then that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Id say there must be unreal competition for spots to busk. I can get some battery operated gear so maybe there wont be need for power but just incase if anyone knows any businesses or shops or places that i could access power then that would be great

nice sound :)
    yeah I'd say ye'll have to with battery amps.
    Surely ye won't do an 8 hour set??
    Just don't crank it up, take breaks, trade off with other bands and performers and have the craic!

A friend just rang from town, he's playing trad in a pub. He said town is currently SO loud with 3 different sets of music bleeding in to the pub!
    And so it begins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Wow.Just.WOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

We will be on the streets then from 10 in the morning to 6. Anyone know a good spot for a big band? "

Maybe rotate every hour or so to allow other buskers a chance,
    especially the ones who play most nights through all seasons.
    Also if you crank the amp up that means you wipe out anyone running acoustic a hundred yards either side which is a lot on the main street.
    Maybe try to get a feel for what others are doing before you start.

Enjoy Galway and happy busking for the Arts Festival.

I thought you weren't allowed to use amplification anymore?

I thought you weren't allowed to use amplification anymore?

Nope, they couldn't agree on it so it was tabled for the moment.
    They reduced the hours a bit more though I think.

Thanks Bonzodog for the compliments, also loser4boards thank u.

I will be in Galway on Monday and will suss out what the buskers have to say, we have no problem rotating and keeping it down, as i completely understand that its the regular local buskers who rule the Galway streets. I dont want to be invading anyones space etc. I just hope we can have some fun and cover our travel expenses from Cork and have enough to have a couple pints afterwards aswell. Really looking forward to it now.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Make sure yee pop down to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

They really should have gotten rid of the amps. There is a lady at the end on shop street outside the euro shop making an awful racket on a piano. Huge amp and keyboard/mic. Sounds like a concert was on but then alas, nobody listening... rubbish and too loud........ god I must be getting old

They really should have gotten rid of the amps. There is a lady at the end on shop street outside the euro shop making an awful racket on a piano. Huge amp and keyboard/mic. Sounds like a concert was on but then alas, nobody listening... rubbish and too loud........ god I must be getting old

I just passed her a while ago, her voice is so so but yeah, too loud. I dunno if it was just the one song I heard but it sounded like Christian praise the lord songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Sounded to me like show band/ jazzy hands music. In saying that, lots of good street performers around this week. Even the obligatory pan pipes were in yesterday

I think the guys dressed as pirates were some of the best!

Advertisement