Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gaming Violence] US Supreme Court: "Games are Free Speech"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just to clarify - is the film age rating system in Ireland merely a suggested age or a binding rule on the minimum age required to view films?

AFAIK The film one is in law the game one isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lionfish

TheDoc wrote: »
    ?
    The recent phone shows about video games has truely shown me Ireland is turning into a little State of cotton wool and that its a place for Morons : /

I entirely agree

Something to think about! :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when we refer to child gamers, do we all think of boys playing the games? My girlfriend's younger sister is a bit of a games fanatic and she plays GTA all the time. The question I'm trying to get across is, do you think the effect is the same with both genders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

lionfish wrote: »
    do you think the effect is the same with both genders?

Gender could make people see things differently, but same goes for every individual. A guy playing might make him think he's just having a laugh with a game - another guy with no role model might think that the huge muscular guy beating everyone up is the way he should strive to be (and let's face it, there's actually a lot of people out there that think they should be like that, but not solely from games.)

Then you have a girl who's playin' GTA: might think it's just a bit of craic... OR might have some superiority complex refined in her seeing that she has the control to make the male on screen do crazy things because of her that he wouldn't normally do (which is actually a fair representation of what she should expect in life). It can go all ways... the gender, person, the game, time and lifestyle all influence it too. There's no one thing that causes anything (except justin beiber causing hate)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

lionfish wrote: »
    Something to think about! :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when we refer to child gamers, do we all think of boys playing the games? My girlfriend's younger sister is a bit of a games fanatic and she plays GTA all the time. The question I'm trying to get across is, do you think the effect is the same with both genders?

What effect? games do not cause children to suddennly want to go out on a killing spree. The ruling even mentioned there is no credible evidence to prove games have any more of an influence over children than movies or books

• Advertisement

Gender could make people see things differently, but same goes for every individual. A guy playing might make him think he's just having a laugh with a game - another guy with no role model might think that the huge muscular guy beating everyone up is the way he should strive to be (and let's face it, there's actually a lot of people out there that think they should be like that, but not solely from games.)

Then you have a girl who's playin' GTA: might think it's just a bit of craic... OR might have some superiority complex refined in her seeing that she has the control to make the male on screen do crazy things because of her that he wouldn't normally do (which is actually a fair representation of what she should expect in life). It can go all ways... the gender, person, the game, time and lifestyle all influence it too. There's no one thing that causes anything (except justin beiber causing hate)

Good response :)

Advertisement