Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Chili

Options
  • 28-06-2011 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of chili and have been looking out for a great recipe for a while. Most of the time the ones I've made have been grand, but not quite as tasty as I want them to be. Stumbled upon this recipe recently and made it today - fekkin lovely. So nice that I thought I'd post it up here.

http://pickyeaterblog.com/2010/11/30/the-best-vegetarian-chili-ever/
    The Best Vegetarian Chili EVER!
    Posted on Nov 30, 2010
    Historically, my husband has always been a bit skeptical of vegetarian chilis. I think this is because he used to eat meat (he turned veggie at age 15) and probably never got used to the non-meat flavor in veggie chili. (I could probably ask him why he didn’t like it but it’s more fun for me to speculate on this blog hehe). Anyway – I recently came across a really flavorful veggie chili recipe on Kath Eats and convinced my husband to try it. It was a total SUCCESS! He LOVED the chili so much he went back for seconds I made a few modifications to Kath’s recipe – but overall stayed pretty true to it because it was so good! Thanks Kath for a great recipe!

Ingredients
    1 can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can Navy (or pinto) beans, drained and rinsed (I used pinto beans because I like them better)
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 cup frozen okra (I actually omitted this, and substituted 1 cup of chopped red pepper)
    1/2 cup frozen lima beans (or canned) (I omitted this too, and substituted 1/2 cup chopped red onion)
    1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
    1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth) To keep it veggie friendly, I used veggie broth of course
    3 garlic cloves (I probably used closer to 4-5 to up the flavor)
    1 heaping tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp coriander
    1 tsp Ghirardelli cocoa powder (unsweet) (This is totally the secret ingredient in the recipe! Makes the chili super smoky and gives it a wonderful flavor!)
    2 sprinkles garlic powder (This ended up being about 1/2 tsp for me)
    1 sprinkle cayenne pepper (This ended up being a little less than 1/4 tsp for me)
    3-4 glugs Worcestershire sauce (Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it, so I actually used soy sauce as a substitute and it worked great!)
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    A few grinds of black pepper

Directions
    Chop the garlic, onion, and red pepper. Saute lightly over medium high heat in 1-2 tsp olive oil
    Add everything else into the pot! Bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min or longer as needed
    Top with cheese, sour cream, and serve with tortilla chips!

I followed her recipe along with the omissions, i.e I used pepper and onion instead of Okra and Lima beans. Used 1xkidney, 1xpinto & 1xblack. Also added a red chili pepper. Recommended!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Wow - that looks great.

Where do you get 'Ghiradelli' cocoa powder though? I've never heard of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Trí wrote: »
    Wow - that looks great.

I couldnt find it either. Just used this:

cocoa-powder.jpg

Had it again today reheated with cheese, sour cream and tortillas. Even nicer than yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Cocoa powder?! Well I never. Definitely trying that though, lovely looking recipe, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

wow that's a lot of ingredients!

mmm cocoa powder, I've that a'plenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Looks great, trying this out tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Let me know how yea get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

That looks pretty cool, thanks for sharing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I have the same problem! All my chilli's have lacked a certain spark and I was going to give up... definitely trying this out soon!

Did anyone give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Tusky wrote: »
    Did anyone give it a go?

I didn't really make a chilli in the strictest sense of the word, but since I was making some sort of bean-based food and they were a bit spicy anyway, I put some cocoa powder into it to see what it would do. I really liked it I must say. I think I might do that more often. :)

• Advertisement

I didn't really make a chilli in the strictest sense of the word, but since I was making some sort of bean-based food and they were a bit spicy anyway, I put some cocoa powder into it to see what it would do. I really liked it I must say. I think I might do that more often. :)

Cocoa is traditionally used in Mexican chili's as far I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I've made this twice now and I absolutely love it! Its so tasty even just served with tortilla chips on their own! I'm going to make it again this week.

6386440143_69481806dd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wurly wrote: »
    Its from San Francisco, but any strong cocao should work.
    Cocoa is traditionally used in Mexican chili's as far I know.
    Well, Chili isn't actually a mexican dish. Plus its ingredients are often disputed, beans v no beans, tomatoes or not etc.

But Mole is a traditional mexican sauce made from chilli and chocolate/cocao. So its not uncommon in various varieties i'd say.

Mellor wrote: »
    Its from San Francisco, but any strong cocao should work.

Well, Chili isn't actually a mexican dish. Plus its ingredients are often disputed, beans v no beans, tomatoes or not etc.

But Mole is a traditional mexican sauce made from chilli and chocolate/cocao. So its not uncommon in various varieties i'd say.

Isnt it? Where is it from than - Southern America?
    I've made this twice now and I absolutely love it! Its so tasty even just served with tortilla chips on their own! I'm going to make it again this week.

6386440143_69481806dd.jpg

Glad to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Isnt it? Where is it from than - Southern America?
    Texas.

The original Tex-Mex dish.
    If there is any doubt about what the Mexicans think about chili, the Diccionario de Mejicanismos, published in 1959, defines chili con carne as (roughly translated):

“detestable food passing itself off as Mexican, sold in the U.S. from Texas to New York.”

Advertisement