Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 2:50 DCM '11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Hey good stuff seany, especially in 26C! Were at the same paces now - I think the reps early in the programme are starting to kick in now....

i like that about the plan A, get the faster stuff in early and when the tempos come on week in week out they are a lot more comfortable(?)....was one thing i struggled with when deciding on a programme.

i went with elite Q2 session though, wanted to mix up the tempo stuff with faster stuff later on and see how i react....next two weeks for me are tempo now and then intervals again..kindo of a 3week cycle....ill see how it goes

sat: 5m easy am; 5.5m easy pm (about 5hours apart)

sun: 21m, 2:48:28mins @8:01m/m HR 149/1XX 22deg sunny!

total weekly mileage 59m

had to cut a run short friday so to catch up on mileage i did a double session yesterday, but were in hot weather but ran easy.
    this mornings run was harder, was hot and sunny and i was just tired from lack of sleep. got through it anyway although i stopped a few times to take on extra water, and get hosed down by someone watering their garden lol

mon: 4m easy

tues: 5m easy

wed: 9m incl 4x 1m tempo, 1min rest, 5min rest and 2x 1m tempo again.

didnt go to plan, ran this earlier in the day for some stupid last min reason and was just after eating some crap food so really wasnt in the mood for this run, in fact dreading it all day...

did a 2mile warm up and after that took a break, wasnt feeling good, stomach was irritated, but after a bit got under way, as usual the 1st rep was easy, second started off too fast but i slowed it down but may have been my downfall, 3rd was hard but doable, and 4th was short by half mile ish, stoped at a water fountain and also to go to the jacks...took an extra recovery after that. convinced myself to do reps until i got to the highway, which was 1x 1mile and about 0.7m for the second....pace was way off again, cant get to grips with my tempo pace, i have no stats yet as my garmin wont upload but from memory they were 6:12-6:18ish, thats pretty slow for when i should be. it was 28degs though with a feels like factor of 34degs incl humidity...could the heat really be impeeding my runs? anybody with experience trying to do long hard sessions in the heat that much? is it worth 2, 4, 6, 8sec etc per mile?
    it was ok on the intervals session last week though.

anyway, im wrecked all week so will cut the mileage short a bit, its a recovery week so an extra few less wont hurt

total weekly mileage: 18m

just found this calculator, anyone with ideas or it? i entered 10m in 1hour at 16degs, equivalent time at 29degs is 62:15, which is around 13secs/mile slower. ok, im doing 6x 1mile and not 10 straight but you get the picture.
    http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I wouldnt be able to put a figure on it but its got to be worth a decent chunk of time alright. 28 deg with high humidity would wreck any session for me.

Why not get out early? Ive recently done intervals in the morning before breakfast. Its probably not ideal training-wise, but I found I was close enough to my usual pace on them. Might be an idea for quality sessions under 10 miles or so.

I wouldnt be able to put a figure on it but its got to be worth a decent chunk of time alright. 28 deg with high humidity would wreck any session for me.

Why not get out early? Ive recently done intervals in the morning before breakfast. Its probably not ideal training-wise, but I found I was close enough to my usual pace on them. Might be an idea for quality sessions under 10 miles or so.

couldnt get up that early mid week id say, work at 8 so by the time i shower etc id have to get up too early, although you are onto something, if i did it 1 day a week and shower at work then it might be worth it-ill think about it.
    until then i will get up early at the weekends for the long run.

thinking about the temp after, it would slow thing down alright but prob not much over the 6min intervals, HR was also closer to PMP that tempo pace....just have to keep plugging away i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey Sean, going well man. When does the temperature start to ease off there? Sounds like hard work.

Hey Sean, going well man. When does the temperature start to ease off there? Sounds like hard work.

its hard work alright, im getting negative about it now too but ill keep plugging away...

not sure when it starts to get cooler, sept is supposed to be cool(ave high 18deg). Aug is usually cooler than july, by 1deg statistically. july this year was hotter and dryer than usual too though....safe bet is to say end of aug/early sept and ill be in a more comfortable temp range id say...approx 9weeks training.

how are you getting on these days? you training?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

seanynova wrote: »

just found this calculator, anyone with ideas or it? i entered 10m in 1hour at 16degs, equivalent time at 29degs is 62:15, which is around 13secs/mile slower. ok, im doing 6x 1mile and not 10 straight but you get the picture.

Quite an interesting calculator alright, seany. Makes a lot of sense. I think i get a bit hard on myself here in toronto with the crazy heat and humidity. But i think training throught the stifling heat of summer pays dividends in an autumn marathon when things cool down by c.20 degrees in some cases.

Killerz wrote: »
    Quite an interesting calculator alright, seany. Makes a lot of sense. I think i get a bit hard on myself here in toronto with the crazy heat and humidity. But i think training throught the stifling heat of summer pays dividends in an autumn marathon when things cool down by c.20 degrees in some cases.

hey killerz, sorry dude, im very bad for checking out peoples logs, didnt know you were in TO. ill keep an eye on your log from now on. whats the plan for chicago? how are you finding the going in TO?
    i think the calculator is onto something alright but im wondering if it is accurate for training intervals like what i did..in saying that when like in TO is high 20s its fairly impossible to go as fast as you would in weather in the teens or something.

im *hoping* for a bit change in my training once the end of august comes around and the temps drop to los 20s and more....hopefully we will see better things when it comes to long runs and paced runs where dyhydration etc are big factors....live in hope.

hey, i actually got a message for a lad in TO doing the 10miler next week...ill pass on your details if you dont mind. he is training for the waterfront marathon i think in oct.

good luck with your training, as i say ill keep an eye on it.

wed:9.0m, 1:10:29mins @7:49m/m avHR161 28degs early evening!

4x 1m Tempo Splits:
    6:15(167/174)
    6:12(171/177)
    6:14(174/178)
    6:10(174/183) - 0.56m
    2x 1m Tempo Splits:
    6:25(175)
    6:18(???)

thurs: rest

fri: 5m easy
    sat: 3m easy - misty, im not obsessed but got this in between a wedding cermony and reception...lol. in my defence there was a 4hour break ;)

sun:16m, 1:59:41mins @7:28m/m HR 161/178
    25degs evening

5x 6min Tempo(HR):
    6:10(169/173)
    6:10(170/175)
    6:09(172/176)
    6:11(173/177)
    6:13(174/178)
    3min Tempo:
    6:08(171/178)

total weekly mileage: 42m
    phase 2 complete - 6weeks ave mileage 49/wk.

todays long run was the day after a wedding, and to point out it was a chineese wedding cermony with a 12course meal, it was unreal! anyway, long story short, there was no way i was getting up early to do this run today so left it off until the evening..which wasnt so bad luckily. temp was at 25degs but prob dropped to 22degs by the end of the run. tempo pace seems so hard without the HR backing it up....my HR stats for DCM last year were averaging 177/178 ish for training tempos at 6min tempos so in that sense i should have more in the tank, but i dont!
    cut the last 6min tempo short as i stopped at the water fountain, was gasping and my mouth was really dry, had ran 8miles at that stage and 33min at tempo pace so a drop of water was well needed.

back to higher mileage next week but going away for the weekend so not sure what ill end up doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

its hard work alright, im getting negative about it now too but ill keep plugging away...

not sure when it starts to get cooler, sept is supposed to be cool(ave high 18deg). Aug is usually cooler than july, by 1deg statistically. july this year was hotter and dryer than usual too though....safe bet is to say end of aug/early sept and ill be in a more comfortable temp range id say...approx 9weeks training.

how are you getting on these days? you training?

Not obsessed at all Sean ;) That chinese wedding sounds interesting, well fuelled for the next days run I suppose.
    Yeah I'm training. Had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday after weeks of not feeling it. 18m with last 5m in 32.30. I was listening to Led Zeppelin for the last 5m, hence the faster than marathon pace effort. I'd been struggling to finish 16m easy. Its funny how one run can totally change your attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

i have no stats yet as my garmin wont upload but from memory they were 6:12-6:18ish, thats pretty slow for when i should be. it was 28degs though with a feels like factor of 34degs incl humidity...could the heat really be impeeding my runs? anybody with experience trying to do long hard sessions in the heat that much? is it worth 2, 4, 6, 8sec etc per mile?
    it was ok on the intervals session last week though.

anyway, im wrecked all week so will cut the mileage short a bit, its a recovery week so an extra few less wont hurt

total weekly mileage: 18m

In Daniels Running Formula 1st Edition he had a table which suggested a slowdown of 1sec/mile/deg above 16degC. He did not include this in current 2nd edition of book but that would back up the calculator above you quoted which says 13sec/mile difference over 16-29degC temperature rise.

I ran in the past in Carribean & hottest part of south eastern turkey (>40degC) and the heat definetly takes it out of you but it'll stand to you. Just make sure you don't get dehydrated as I left myself drift a bit too close to the edge in the past and its not a good idea - you seem to be doing good so far though.

Hey seany, ya, i'm pretty bad at following logs myself.... Try to catch up on them when i'm not too crazy busy. I didnt catch exactly where in canada you're based?

Hoping to get down to just under the 3 hour mark in chicago all going well. I trained through the lovely toronto summer last year for the waterfront marathon, where i got my BQ, then trained through the winter here for Boston and a 3:01 odd here in toronto in horrendous wind and rain. So, a solid few weeks now and a decent day in chicago is what i'm hoping for.

The guy doing the 10 miler got in touch alright- seems to be located quite close to me here downtown toronto.

Not obsessed at all Sean ;) That chinese wedding sounds interesting, well fuelled for the next days run I suppose.
    Yeah I'm training. Had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday after weeks of not feeling it. 18m with last 5m in 32.30. I was listening to Led Zeppelin for the last 5m, hence the faster than marathon pace effort. I'd been struggling to finish 16m easy. Its funny how one run can totally change your attitude.

good stuff, that nice and lively for the last few miles....you doing much tempo stuff? 4x 10mins kind of thing? they work well for you last year.

the wedding was very good, when the vietnameese bride was walking upto the alter, the chineese groom was playing a little tune on his guitar.......falling slowly - glen hansard of all people!!!
    i had to be roled out of the venue from all the food after, kind of services buffet style with lasy susan table (rotating centre peice)...happy days!

Gringo78 wrote: »
    In Daniels Running Formula 1st Edition he had a table which suggested a slowdown of 1sec/mile/deg above 16degC. He did not include this in current 2nd edition of book but that would back up the calculator above you quoted which says 13sec/mile difference over 16-29degC temperature rise.

I ran in the past in Carribean & hottest part of south eastern turkey (>40degC) and the heat definetly takes it out of you but it'll stand to you. Just make sure you don't get dehydrated as I left myself drift a bit too close to the edge in the past and its not a good idea - you seem to be doing good so far though.

if defo costs something but hard to know how much on the shorter intervals....to be honest it could be me more that the weather as it wasn't 'too' warm sunday night and i was still struggling....although, i was getting a little dehyrdated (thirsty!)

you will be trying to avoid the carribean and trukey this summer i take it! be a nice break in november all the same!!

how is you training going? any good sessions completed lately? how is your tempo pace looking these days? i recokon for myself i need to be at least as low as 6:06m/m to be in with a shot of 2:50 marathon, differrent for other people though.

Hey seany, ya, i'm pretty bad at following logs myself.... Try to catch up on them when i'm not too crazy busy. I didnt catch exactly where in canada you're based?

Hoping to get down to just under the 3 hour mark in chicago all going well. I trained through the lovely toronto summer last year for the waterfront marathon, where i got my BQ, then trained through the winter here for Boston and a 3:01 odd here in toronto in horrendous wind and rain. So, a solid few weeks now and a decent day in chicago is what i'm hoping for.

The guy doing the 10 miler got in touch alright- seems to be located quite close to me here downtown toronto.

if i told you where i am in canada you might not have heard of it lol....na, im in the peg, its not exactly top of the list for many people but when your dating a canadian girl, sometimes you just dont have a choice...lol.
    have you been? the sun here is VERY strong, strongest i felt in canada, its not known for humidity but this year has been a bit humid, not much rain and like TO temps regularly in the 30s (40s with humidex).
    i also ran a lot in montreal, a lot more hmid there but sun not as strong, even with same temps if you know what i mean.

ive been to TO a few times too, good spot, used to run along king/queen st out to the park, small kind of loop.
    seems like you are well prepared for an assault on sub3, obviously been close and with a good day weather wise you should be ok.

how are you finding paces compared to your winter paces?

mon: had a cool day with a drizzle of rain....murphys law though as it came on a recovery run....lol

6.0m, 48:32mins @8:05m/m HR 143/156
    19degs wet!

to compare, HR for last year for similar pace...9 weeks out from marathon(above is 12 weeks out)
    5m, 40:15mins @8:03m/m avHR149 18degs ish.

so looking ok on the aerobic capacity side of things if thats the right way to put it, although i kind of knew that as all my runs are ran with low HR, im just running lazy, maybe i should run faster on easy runs?

got a new pair of shoes today, after putting 400m+ on my waveriders, which may have been a bad idea as i prob should be wearing support shoes(?), i got a pair of brooks ravenna2....for a staggering $170!!! be cheaper to ship them from home! but that folks is the going rate here in the land of oppertunity! but the shoes feel good and a feel a lot better than the old mizuno's...1st impression good.

total weekly mileage: 6m

if defo costs something but hard to know how much on the shorter intervals....to be honest it could be me more that the weather as it wasn't 'too' warm sunday night and i was still struggling....although, i was getting a little dehyrdated (thirsty!)

you will be trying to avoid the carribean and trukey this summer i take it! be a nice break in november all the same!!

how is you training going? any good sessions completed lately? how is your tempo pace looking these days? i recokon for myself i need to be at least as low as 6:06m/m to be in with a shot of 2:50 marathon, differrent for other people though.

Training was going good but stomach problems took me out for a few weeks and only back into things in the last few days but I'm still in good shape and am a lot better prepared further out than I have been in other years so not too worried about 2 poor weeks training with 12 weeks still to go.

I'm doing things in reverse to you - training in the cold and then racing a half marathon in september in southern Spain in what is likely to be 30degC.

2 sessions a week is all I'm doing - one 18 miler with reps of PMP miles thrown in ( like 5,4,3,2,1 or 4x3miles) and one 14-16miler with tempo miles (last one was 14min-12min-10min-8min). Their B*stardised Daniels sessions which I find great. I have a concern that I am changing the way I trained before which was long runs slow & then PMP miles in seperate sessions but due to fitting everything in I am forced to go this way so hopefully it works out - I'm getting lots more miles in though and generally have seen dramatic improvement when I have a sustained few weeks of >40mpw.

Pace wise I am training to HR so the paces do vary week to week but I am hitting around 2:47 pace for PMP miles and average 6:00 pace for tempo minutes around now although to be honest they are dropping fast with improvement week by week so they haven't plateaued yet which is a good sign.

Havent had the pleasure of visiting the peg yet i'm afraid! Liking toronto a lot- plenty to do, and plenty to distract me from running!

I would say my paces in training are at their best from march-may and in sep and oct, which are perfect running months usually. While the humidity does slow me down, its more vs springtime than winter, as i have to change my running style in winter so as to cope with snow.

Training was going good but stomach problems took me out for a few weeks and only back into things in the last few days but I'm still in good shape and am a lot better prepared further out than I have been in other years so not too worried about 2 poor weeks training with 12 weeks still to go.

I'm doing things in reverse to you - training in the cold and then racing a half marathon in september in southern Spain in what is likely to be 30degC.

2 sessions a week is all I'm doing - one 18 miler with reps of PMP miles thrown in ( like 5,4,3,2,1 or 4x3miles) and one 14-16miler with tempo miles (last one was 14min-12min-10min-8min). Their B*stardised Daniels sessions which I find great. I have a concern that I am changing the way I trained before which was long runs slow & then PMP miles in seperate sessions but due to fitting everything in I am forced to go this way so hopefully it works out - I'm getting lots more miles in though and generally have seen dramatic improvement when I have a sustained few weeks of >40mpw.

Pace wise I am training to HR so the paces do vary week to week but I am hitting around 2:47 pace for PMP miles and average 6:00 pace for tempo minutes around now although to be honest they are dropping fast with improvement week by week so they haven't plateaued yet which is a good sign.

good going gringo, paces are well above where you need to be at this stage, looking good for the race. your right not to worry about the missed training this far out as 12 weeks training on top of a good build up seams to be enough for most people....are you going to race any other race in the build up? hope you get good conditions and will give you a good indicator at least of where your are race pace wise. but if you know your on HR/paces then you should have a fair idea of PMP anwyay.
    with regards to your session, i have recently being referred to renato canavo, the long sessions apparantly have a lot of PMP stuff....

anyway, keep it going gringo...check in with an update in a few weeks or something

• Advertisement

Havent had the pleasure of visiting the peg yet i'm afraid! Liking toronto a lot- plenty to do, and plenty to distract me from running!

I would say my paces in training are at their best from march-may and in sep and oct, which are perfect running months usually. While the humidity does slow me down, its more vs springtime than winter, as i have to change my running style in winter so as to cope with snow.

good to know that autumn is a good time for trianing anway, ill have to take up cross country skiing or ice skating etc to keep me going throughout the winter...

not much in the peg anyway so not much to come here for...ive been to there a few times, its has grown on me the more i visit there. how long you living there? planning on staying?

tues: rest(unplanned)

wed: 14.5m easy

thurs: 2.5m easy...stupid lunch run, prob wont do that again...too hot and not worth the effort for time.

fri: rest (travel day)

sat: 15m; 7m warm up easy; 10k PMP/tempo and 2m cool down.

sun: 6m easy

total weekly mileage: 44m

the 10k(as part of a tri) was a mixed bag, was going to do it as a PMP session, but my HR was riding high and decided after 2m to change to a long tempo.
    mile splits were
    6:30(171/177)
    6:25 (177/183)
    6:21 (175/183)
    6:19 (178/184)
    6:24 (176/186)
    6:10 (177/185)
    ave 6:20m/m

ran this all on my own, we were a team for the triathalon so by the time the run came round i was bang in the middle of the field, against people who weree after competing the whole olympic tri or whatever so was passing people the whole way, at 5k i was in no-mans land but drove on and finished with a sprint finish.

all in all, its a poor week running wise but got a couple of longer runs in and a tempo effort.

hopefuly will get a better week done this week but it not looking good for tonight

mon: rest

tues: 10.5m, 1:27:04mins @8:17m/m HR 150/180
    22degs, cool/v windy!!

6x 0.62m Splits(maxHR)-pace:
    3:39(176)-5:54
    3:25(180)-5:31
    3:37(177)-5:50
    3:30(178)-5:39
    3:37(179)-5:50
    3:29(179)-5:38

was another poor effort pity as it was cool(afternoon 22degs is cooler that morning 22degs for some reason (!!???!!), was very windy and the run was; 0.62m facing the wind, and 0.62m with the wind, splits reflect this...HR however does not, these should be hitting 184bpm ish, again to put into context, my average half marathon HR is 180bpm....sick of saying that now but it seams to be the story of my running this year....

total weekly mileage: 10.5m

HR however does not, these should be hitting 184bpm ish, again to put into context, my average half marathon HR is 180bpm....sick of saying that now but it seams to be the story of my running this year....

total weekly mileage: 10.5m

Have the same problem myself - not sure why this is but I have a theory that its something to do with not having the specific training to push into the faster paces required i.e back when I ran 3:26 for a marathon, (MP 7:52) I could still push the pace out to 5:15-5:30 on strides which would drive my HR right up - in fact, HR/anaerobic capacity was my limiter, I could sprint and drive the HR up close to max. Since I've got fitter, 5:30 is more like 5k pace so thats not going to elevate the HR up to previous levels, and certainly not over the course of a 1k rep. To try to hit max HR I have to push paces into the 4:xx zone and thats where I fall down - I don't train at those paces ( I never do any strides - something I need to introduce) so find it hared to hit them, legs/muscles being the limiters now, not HR.

I've been doing the odd track session with a club and in a group situation, trailing much faster runners, I can find an extra gear and get the HR up, but I can't seem to do it on my own.

Last 2 interval sessions I did on my own were 5x1km & 8x1km - was hitting 5:55 pace approx on both and I thought I was giving it socks. Last club session interval: 6 x 1.1k at 5:20 pace and I was getting the HR right up.

I would say for marathon training, it doesn't matter that you're not getting the HR up but if you were training for a 5k race then you'd be in trouble - I found over the last 6 months that my 3k/5k race times were significantly better after periods of high attendance at the club sessions. When I had to do the interval sessions on my own, my 5k times suffered.

Have the same problem myself - not sure why this is but I have a theory that its something to do with not having the specific training to push into the faster paces required i.e back when I ran 3:26 for a marathon, (MP 7:52) I could still push the pace out to 5:15-5:30 on strides which would drive my HR right up - in fact, HR/anaerobic capacity was my limiter, I could sprint and drive the HR up close to max. Since I've got fitter, 5:30 is more like 5k pace so thats not going to elevate the HR up to previous levels, and certainly not over the course of a 1k rep. To try to hit max HR I have to push paces into the 4:xx zone and thats where I fall down - I don't train at those paces ( I never do any strides - something I need to introduce) so find it hared to hit them, legs/muscles being the limiters now, not HR.

I've been doing the odd track session with a club and in a group situation, trailing much faster runners, I can find an extra gear and get the HR up, but I can't seem to do it on my own.

Last 2 interval sessions I did on my own were 5x1km & 8x1km - was hitting 5:55 pace approx on both and I thought I was giving it socks. Last club session interval: 6 x 1.1k at 5:20 pace and I was getting the HR right up.

I would say for marathon training, it doesn't matter that you're not getting the HR up but if you were training for a 5k race then you'd be in trouble - I found over the last 6 months that my 3k/5k race times were significantly better after periods of high attendance at the club sessions. When I had to do the interval sessions on my own, my 5k times suffered.

thats a very good way of putting it, and i have a feeling your spot on regarding the limitations.
    i have been running very slowely on my easy runs, but maybe 'too' on some/most of them if they are not recovery...so when it comes to running faster stuff eg intervals and tempos, i find it hard to keep pace even though the HR is low.

seems to be a problem you have aswell, when training in groups its easier to keep pace...but just think of it when your racing the marathon, plenty of people to pace off so it 'should' feel easier....we live in hope anyway.

what i think ill do is introduce strides and pick up the pace of my easy runs, make sure the HR goes up a little higher but still in the easy zone....hopefully notice something in a few weeks!

cheers for the input.

wed: 8m easy

thurs: 13m easy

ran both of these with some slightly faster than normal easy miles....(talking 7:30/7:40) will recover the next two days before a big session on sunday....peak mileage week this week, pity i missed monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi Seany

Good running there. Good to see you increase the pace on the easy ones - 7:30 - 7:40 shouldnt take too much out of you.

I think you might be a week behind the schedule - I made the same mistake last year - his programme starts the first week with a Q1 session, not ends with it. it makes little difference now but will later on in the taper!

My peak week was last week.

Hi Seany

Good running there. Good to see you increase the pace on the easy ones - 7:30 - 7:40 shouldnt take too much out of you.

I think you might be a week behind the schedule - I made the same mistake last year - his programme starts the first week with a Q1 session, not ends with it. it makes little difference now but will later on in the taper!

My peak week was last week.

cheers,

i remember you posting that on speedys log last time, im aware of the error but when deciding on the plan i was happy enough to schedule a 12m run incl tempo miles 8days out from DCM like last year....instead of 90mins easy...ill be luck to stick to that plan as it is anyway, but almost half way there!

fri: 8m Easy

sat: 6m Easy

sun: 20m, 2:29:36mins @7:28m/m HR 156/175
    11-18degs cool/sunny

3m warm-up;
    4x 6min Tempo Splits:
    6:21(165/171)
    6:19(167/171)
    6:14(168/164)
    6:18(168/173)

60mins Easy @ 7:44m/m

4x 5min Tempo Splits:
    6:19(167/171)
    6:19(165/171)
    6:15(166/173)
    6:12(169/175)
    2m warm down

happy with this session, found it hard to push the pace on the first set of tempo reps, HR shows this, but at least i didnt drop off pace or found myself working too hard, each was pretty much the same effort wise...ran the 60mins a little faster than normal for easy but i want to do that from now on and the 2nd set of tempos was hard due to fatigue but pace was ok, actually found it easier to run a little faster....as in leg turnover...prob cos i was well awake at that stage.

weather was good nice and cold starting out, cold in the shade but the sun still give off heat, for most of the run it was just like a sunny day in ireland, so no complaints, the best weather ive had so far for a long run.

total weekly mileage: 66m

• Advertisement

mon: 6m easy

tues: 6m easy..did a few strides also and my legs felt like lead!!!

wed: 13m, 1:34:16mins @7:24m/m HR 160/189
    24/23degs evening

18/14/9/5min Tempo Splits(HR):
    6:10(172/178)
    6:10(170/179)
    6:14(169/179)
    6:10(177/189)

this session was a bit more like it, although i cut the intervals short a little on most reps, i was happy with what i did as there were a few drags on the loop. after yesterday i was dreading this and was worried id be able to run lively at all but i am happy enough with the splits....last two session have been a move in the right direction anyway...cooler temps perhaps?

signed up for a half marathon in 2weeks, was going to do this anyway as a PMP run but decided to race it as it fits the schedule the best....other options were 10miler and 10k but as i say, the half suits the best time wise. i am in big danger of breaking my PB streak...in fact id say im 95% sure i wont get a PB, not sure how competitive this race is so i could be running it solo for most of it...which means ill be lucky to break 1:25mins id say but ill give it a go anyway as its training....only thing in my favour is that there are no hills, just a few drags but equally as many downhill slopes so that should be worth a minute of my previous PB id say...heres hoping!

total weekly mileage: 25m

Advertisement