Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 2:50 DCM '11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice to get the redemption run in today- good result.

So, toronto it is then?

Was running part of the course there this morning-There was a significant wind in the face as we were going eastwards - hopefully there'll be no sign of it on race day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

STWM it is then, booked my flights and have entry confirmed....hope i dont get injured or sick in the next 2weeks..

early weather reports looking good but no news on wind yet.

took the day off today after my efforts yesterday but will do a few miles early tomorrow morning before the work trip and probably 2days off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great running seany. good confidence booster. Who cares about tempo splits when you can do that?

mon: 5m easy

tues: rest (work trip)

wed: rest (work trip)

thurs: 12m, 1:27:24mins @7:17m/m HR 161/178
    27-24degs late afternoon

2x Tempo Splits:
    18mins @ 6:20m/m (173/178)
    15mins @ 6:30m/m (170/176)

another disaster of a mid week Q session, but i did manage to keep it under PMP on the second one...lol.

will do another 12miler at the weekend with tempo miles, hope it goes better as ill be deciding on a pace early next week.

total weekly mileage: 17m

fri: 5m Easy

sat: 12m, 1:33:29mins @7:47m/m HR 155/181
    14degs overcast windy

12min + 1m Tempo:
    6:04(174/181)
    6:04(172/178)

did the tempo intervals a little faster than usual on purpose, and worked out well i suppose, although i was tired after them, was good to get the HR up a bit, there was 3min recovery between the two reps.

will tale a rest day tomorrow and a few miles next week, about 15-18m pre-race.

cant believe the race is next week....will be getting panic-y(?) soon id say, dont want a repeat of edinburgh!!!

total weekly mileage: 34m

• Advertisement

tues: 8.0m, 58:48mins @7:21m/m HR 155/177
    20-18degs late afternoon

4x 0.75m Tempo Splits:
    5:59(169/175)
    6:07(170/174)
    6:04(171/176)
    6:02(172/177)

tempo splits were a bit faster than normal again, wasnt feeling extra fresh but as the reps were short i wanted to push the pace a little, kind of regret that now and hope it doesnt have lingering effects towards the end of the week.

last years session went like this:
    8m, 58:13mins @7:16m/m HR162/179

4x 0.75m Tempo Splits:
    6:06(174/177)
    6:10(175/179)
    6:07(175/179)
    6:08(174/178)

so was moving a bit faster and HR was a bit lower, should be a good sign, lets hope i can maintain 170bpm on race day at PMP...if i can i might just have a chance.

better write a figure down for sunday at this stage....not fully decided but i think ill have a go at sub2:50, but if i dont and decide to play a little safe ill shoot for 2:52 or there abouts...with the ultimate goal of a PB sub2:56:25mins! (ill be going out at a pace faster than 2:56 but if im struggling then i have something to aim for)

total weekly mileage: 13m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

seanynova wrote: »

tues: 8.0m, 58:48mins @7:21m/m HR 155/177
    20-18degs late afternoon

4x 0.75m Tempo Splits:
    5:59(169/175)
    6:07(170/174)
    6:04(171/176)
    6:02(172/177)

tempo splits were a bit faster than normal again, wasnt feeling extra fresh but as the reps were short i wanted to push the pace a little, kind of regret that now and hope it doesnt have lingering effects towards the end of the week.

last years session went like this:
    8m, 58:13mins @7:16m/m HR162/179

4x 0.75m Tempo Splits:
    6:06(174/177)
    6:10(175/179)
    6:07(175/179)
    6:08(174/178)

so was moving a bit faster and HR was a bit lower, should be a good sign, lets hope i can maintain 170bpm on race day at PMP...if i can i might just have a chance.

better write a figure down for sunday at this stage....not fully decided but i think ill have a go at sub2:50, but if i dont and decide to play a little safe ill shoot for 2:52 or there abouts...with the ultimate goal of a PB sub2:56:25mins! (ill be going out at a pace faster than 2:56 but if im struggling then i have something to aim for)

total weekly mileage: 13m

Good running seany - they are only 1200m reps, and far from flat out. They wont be in the legs on sunday.

The very best of luck - will be waiting for the result with baited breath! You have done the training, go out and get the reward

PS like the pace strategy too, sounds sensible....

enjoy!

thurs: 5m easy

5.0m, 35:38mins @7:08m/m HR 156/169
    9 degs evening windy

max: 6:58m/m
    min: 7:20m/m

same run last year was:
    5m, 38:05mins @7:37m/m avHR163

min: 7:46m/m
    max: 7:26m/m

thats a rap for this marathon, rest until sunday. nice improovment there with lower HR, will find out of sunday if im fitter i suppose....

total weekly mileage 18m

guns are out for sunday now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

All the best Sean. Have a cracking run on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

thurs: 5m easy

5.0m, 35:38mins @7:08m/m HR 156/169
    9 degs evening windy

max: 6:58m/m
    min: 7:20m/m

same run last year was:
    5m, 38:05mins @7:37m/m avHR163

min: 7:46m/m
    max: 7:26m/m

thats a rap for this marathon, rest until sunday. nice improovment there with lower HR, will find out of sunday if im fitter i suppose....

total weekly mileage 18m

guns are out for sunday now...

Best of luck Sunday. Any particular reason no more running until then? I'd feel very stale after a 2 day layoff, I like to do 2-3 miles day before marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Besof luck Seany...i look forward to reading the report.....enjoy the day and i hope you get what you want out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of lucky Sean. Have a great race, and bring back tales of great victories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Go for it Seany! Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

All the best for the weekend, Seany. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Best of luck Seany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

No doubt you're going to knock it out of the park

First up, thanks for the well wishes… Very much appreciated!

Gringo, no real reason for taking two days off other than I did that last year and it worked out ok, I also couldn’t run on Friday with work/flight and I suppose I could do 2miles on Saturday but I’m happy enough to just take it easy as I’ll be walking around the expo for a while anyway prob.

So looking back over the training plan, it’s been rough and the posts from me probably weren’t the most inspiring but I found it hard to come to terms with the conditions I was faced with, also I was frustrated as I couldn’t get back to my pre-injury form.

So it all started back in April/May when I was finally able to run post a 4-month injury, these runs were typically runs of 4x 30sec, 5x 1min type of thing so I took it very easy starting back, but I was always watchful of the date and my build up to the start of the plan. I got there eventually and was able to complete longer consistent runs, recovery complete!

Began the 18week plan with a view to running DCM ’11 obviously and although I knew I’d be in Canada for the entire plan I thought it would be good to run Dublin on my birthday, circumstances changed and decided to run Toronto marathon but this meant cutting my plan short mid plan, and I lost out on 2 big weeks, still though a 16week plan should be good enough, was good enough last year for me anyway.

So to recap on the plan, 3 phases,
    Phase 1 was 6 weeks with average weekly mileage 49m per week.
    Phase 2 was 6 weeks with average weekly mileage 57m per week.
    Phase 3 was 4 weeks with average weekly mileage 41m per week.

A total of 800m for the 16 weeks and an average of 50m per week.
    This is an increase of 72miles on last year and an increase of 4.5m per week.

But the big difference in the mileage is found in the last 6weeks of the plan:
    Last year I completed 194 miles in the final 6weeks,
    This year I completed 291 miles in the final 6weeks, almost 100m more in the final 6weeks!, hopefully that will help on Sunday.

I complained a lot about my fitness and pace especially during the tempo runs, it’s a cause of concern than I cannot get the HR up even when I can’t run any faster, a lower HR typically means being fitter but with my HR levels lower, I am in unknown territory again regarding what I can sustain for the marathon. If it was the same as last year (170ave), I’m ok, I know where I stand, but since my half marathon HR is lower by 5bpm, will my marathon HR be lower by 2-5bpm? Time will tell.

Another comparison from last year is that although I was injured leading up to the marathon I had completed a lot of important session and smashed the mcmillan equivalent for my goal time in a half marathon race. That’s not the case this year regarding the half marathon, I probably got the best result I could have hoped for even though I faded by 10sec per mile towards the end, I think I got my hydration/fueling wrong but my pace was still faster than what I was able to maintain in my tempo training runs. Mcmillan prediction is 2:52, and jack daniels predicts 2:50, am I walking a tightrope aiming for 2:50 or even 2:52?

My weight is not as low as id like it to be, I was eating well but very large quantities so I didn’t drop any weight during the plan and probably gained a little…pity.
    Having trouble with fueling for the race, no such thing as isotonic type gels here, don’t like the consistence of powerbars etc so bought cliff shots, not sure I’ll be able to eat them as I run and apparently they get stuck in your teeth also, but if I run out of shots, I can go routing in my teeth for that extra kick I need at the end lol…hope they don’t affect the stomach too 
    For the race itself, I’ll just have to trust my feeing on the day and except my pace for what it is, the wind I forecast to be at our backs for 20k of the race but it is also in our face for 20k typically but in 2x 10k stints. It’s also largely a flat race so the wind might dictate the pace a bit in certain areas. Pre race I’d take that over high temps any day.

So that’s a rap, will check in on Sunday night after the race while eating chocolate digestives and tim-tams!!!
    I’ll try and enjoy it anyway and the pace will be what it will be….shoot for 2:50 now but will be sensible on the day.

Cheers,
    Seany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck Seany. Looking at your sessions you seem to be going quite well and the fact yoou have had a long build up of consistent training you are in the shape to give the 2.50 a good go. See how you feel from 13 miles onwards and should have a good indication of how you are set for either 2.52 or 2.50.

Best of luck

Looking forward to hearing the report (hopefully a successful one) after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Best of luck Seany. You've given yourself every chance of hitting your goal with the mileage and quality sessions you've put in. Im a bit jelous that Im not doin a marathon this year. maybe next spring:rolleyes:

weather forcast predicts westerly winds of 35-40km/hr, with temps of 9-15degs will be fun...

1st 10k we run east into the wind, then run west with the wind for 20k and last 10k are east wards again back into the wind.
    the course layout has been physologically messing with my head since before i booked, with all the doubling back etc but the wind brings it to another level.

however, im feeling pretty good about the race(not with my lack of sleep), wearing 'flats', and wondering if i should...the nerves are taking over.... but more importantly, im excited and looking forward to it!

2:58 something, it was what it was.....a hard day at the office, will write a report later when on the plane.

hit halfway in 1:25:15, but was always going to be a tall order....almost ground to a halt near the end, but i kept going, and i made it!

Sooner or later, God will cut you down! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thats still a savage time under tricky weather conditions. Id take 2 58 right now! It takes a gutsy effort to finish without stopping aswell. \you'll deffo go sub 2 50 someday and that race will stand to ya..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

2:58 something, it was what it was.....a hard day at the office, will write a report later when on the plane.

hit halfway in 1:25:15, but was always going to be a tall order....almost ground to a halt near the end, but i kept going, and i made it!

Sooner or later, God will cut you down! :)

Well done for keeping going....I was seriously hoping you'd hit the target though cos your training was so much better than mine....way to dent my confidence. Only 8min off the target after blowing up? That's some effort. Onward & upward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

I can only dream of 2:58, good man Seany, great job, as I imagine the 2nd half was tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Well done Seany, great going in tough conditions. You can definitely go sub 2:50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounded really, really tough. Really bad luck. You'll kill it the next time.
    Small consolation, but another sub-3 in the bag, to piss off the grand-kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Seany,i didnt like the sound of the route and wind you were describing beforehand but well done for the effort it must have took to get you over the line,marathons are no joke,congrats for digging in !

• Advertisement

Before I start off on a rant of a report…thanks for the well wishes again and commiserations…

As always hindsight is a great thing, and I have a lot of avenues to explore for the what if’s and all that but to be fair I just wasn’t in the shape for sub2:50, I was however in the region of giving it a go but I don’t think I’d have got there even if all of today’s negatives were erased.

Was getting set up last night and pinning my number to my singlet and noticed I was down to start in the purple corral (last), small panic but printed out my entry which states 2:31-3:10 and another document with my confirmed number and put them with the kit to bring in the morning. Got to the start early, went to info and they drew RED over the purple with a marker….but there was actually a guy from Cork manning the red corral entry anyway so I think I’d have gotten in.
    Met up with Larry Brent and was just chatting away in the near empty corral, passed the time away but we were also right up the front behind the then 3(now 4) time winner and a few other elites/pacers….impressive looking, if that’s ok to say?

So the gun/horn went and Larry and I took it nice and handy being passed by tens of people all racing off, but the half also started with us…we joked about passing a lot of them afterwards, and we did pass a few but as I say a lot were half runners. My HR strap fell down and I was very close to chucking it but after I adjusted it for the 5th or 6th time it stayed in place, never really had that problem before. At this stage my pace was in the region of 6:2X high and Larry was gradually drifting ahead but I was running my race and he as running his. After a few kms we would turn into to wind and this is where my race may have turned, or at least catch up with me. I was running in a good pack of people presumable all chasing 2:50/1:25 but the wind was in our face, it wasn’t that strong but it was still enough to warrant a slower pace. I however stuck with the group and there was a few 6:25s in there, may have been a mistake. I should also point out that by mile 6, my feet were starting to hurt, the left more so.

The next phase of running is the turnaround point, running east which is pretty much a 16km stretch with the wind including two south/north u-turn sections. But as always the wind didn’t feel like it was behind, even though it was. The thing is it didn’t make life any easier, the pace was the same and the effort was the same so as much as it was behind us, I wasn’t able to gain. The weather reports also say at 10am the wind was blowing at 19km/hr(same as 9am stats). Larry passed me on the turnaround points and both times I mentioned, ‘I’m out’, keeping the pace but knowing I wouldn’t sustain it, Larry said ‘keep going, you will come round again’ and I kind of did, I was able to keep the 6:40s pace, which I was happy with. But those turnaround points really mess with my head. And my left foot was killing me putting all of my 180deg turn weight on it.
    There was a few stretches in there that were totally drab and dull, a bit industrial and really not impressive; a very lonely run after the half runners broke off left, and shortly afterwards I stood on a small stone which didn’t have any long lasting effect but for that instant my face grimaced, it was painful!

Leading up to the final turn around is a stretch of rolling road that has you running out on one side while the return runners are on the other side, this went on for 1.5m ish, very hard to run against that at a very last stage in the race, but the distance is the distance. At this stage my pace was also into the 6:50s but I was quiet happy just to cruise along. I was running low and still 6-7miles to go. I eventually got to the turnaround point, only to do the same let’s put all my weight on my left foot cameo, but it was the last so got on with it. Now facing west again and with winds up to 30+km/hr, it was hard running into that, my pace dropped into the 7s which I was hoping to avoid but at the same time I couldn’t do anything about it….and so the home stretch arrived, something pre-race I was looking forward to, picking up the pace, passing people, running strong, looking and feeling great…but more importantly looking great ;) This time around it was a sorry affair, I was just going through the motions, keep running along, I wasn’t putting myself under pressure forcing the pace, I just ran what I ran, with 4km to go I got faced with a really strong gust of wind which almost ground me to a half and following that I got a bit light headed, woozy but was in no-man’s land at the time, so kept going saying, make it to the aid-station, which came but I kept going, then, make it to my gf’s sister(doctor) but she was at under 1km to go. I was watching the miles for the entire home stretch but that section of the race kind of passed me by and before I knew it I really was on the home stretch!
    Got a big cheers from the sisters and I may have actually picked up the pace a little. There were then signs for 500m to go…300m to go, and I could have picked up the pace but didn’t bother, until turning the corner and with 100m to I decided to try a pass someone on the home straight, which I did but as usual, I forgot to stop my watch when I crossed the line. Bent over and stopped dead in my tracks, not feeling the best, a bit delirious etc but ‘ok’….at least that’s what I told the medics.

Saw Larry in the finishing chute then, he ran a very credible 2:53, which can be seen on the big 8 challenge, fair play Larry….and we hobbled in the direction of the pub.

So to summaries, I am wondering if not taking and gels made a difference? I did take 3 cliff shot blocks, square ‘blocks’ of gel type stuff but wasn’t really up for eating them so didn’t have anymore. At every aid station they were handing out gaterade and water, in which I availed of mabye 2-4 cups each station but the cups were pretty empty and I obviously split a bit despite my best efforts of covering the cup. This wind also had a effect even more so on the final stretch but my time was gone then and didn’t matter. My feel were killing me for pretty much the whole time, note to self
    DON’T WEAR FLATS AGAIN FOR A MARATHON!!! (unless I actually train in them). Otherwise I was running within myself after the pace dropped, I took it handy, knew pushing it would end in disaster so didn’t quiet hit the wall or my race ended with a bang but I was happy to run slower when the going got tough, mile 14-16, that said, it still took a lot of effort keep chugging along.

Wont be doing a marathon for a while, ill be doing the kiwi_runner approach, short distance for a while, I’ve never actually run a 5k…lol.

Splits are:
    1 6:40
    2 6:27
    3 6:25
    4 6:25
    5 6:32
    6 6:38
    7 6:23
    8 6:23
    9 6:28
    10 6:32
    11 6:29