Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunshine Coast Qld - Questions

Options
  • 28-06-2011 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Myself and my family have been living in Sydney for 5 years now.

A job opportunity has come up on the Sunshine Coast based out of Maroochydore. We went up for a bit of a fact-finding mission a couple of weeks ago and loved it. However, I do have a few questions and I'm hoping that there are some boards.ie people that may be able to give me a little guidance relating to the potential move.

1. There seemed to be a glut of property on the market. After doing a little digging, I understand that the property prices are falling up there. To coin a phrase, I don't want to catch a falling dagger and introduce a negative equity risk that would tie us to one place, as we would like to go home to Ireland when (and if it ever sorts itself out) What is going on up there, why are property prices falling? Will they fall much further, and how long is that piece of string :)

2. What is life like on the Sunshine Coast. It seemed like a very nice place to live and raise a family, but you can never really tell what a place is like from a weekend away. Can someone recommend some nice/affordable areas to live, or more importantly, can someone recommend places to avoid like the plague?

3. Is there much to do up there?

4. What are schools like?

5. Having lived in Sydney for 5 years, I'm no stranger to heat, however, how hot/humid does it get on the Sunny Coast?

I really appreciate any information that people can provide.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Property prices seem to be falling there. I wouldn't buy now. Rent and get a feel for the community. A pal of mine has places in Maroochy and Buderim and lives in Caloundra.
    Noosa/ Maroochy/ Mooloolaba seem to be the more expensive burbs. Obviously proximity to the beach and canal increases price.

It's a great place to bring up a family. Very very outdoorsy and family oriented place. Outside of family stuff, it can seem a bit quiet, but there's always bowls club and such to join.

I don't know about places to avoid, you'd probably get a fair idea from rental prices.

It's not exactly a cultural part of the world except for sport culture. But Brisbane is just over an hour south if you needed a fix. The public transport there is a bit hit and miss. Everyone drives.

No idea about schools, you could check out that national school review website and or look at what the catholic system has to offer.

It's more humid than Sydney, but the houses are pretty much built for it. If you're not near water, try look for something with elevation so you can catch a breeze. And avoid somewhere with tall trees that the rainbow lorokeets gather in at 6am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cupple

Myself and my family have been living in Sydney for 5 years now.

A job opportunity has come up on the Sunshine Coast based out of Maroochydore. We went up for a bit of a fact-finding mission a couple of weeks ago and loved it. However, I do have a few questions and I'm hoping that there are some boards.ie people that may be able to give me a little guidance relating to the potential move.

1. There seemed to be a glut of property on the market. After doing a little digging, I understand that the property prices are falling up there. To coin a phrase, I don't want to catch a falling dagger and introduce a negative equity risk that would tie us to one place, as we would like to go home to Ireland when (and if it ever sorts itself out) What is going on up there, why are property prices falling? Will they fall much further, and how long is that piece of string :)

2. What is life like on the Sunshine Coast. It seemed like a very nice place to live and raise a family, but you can never really tell what a place is like from a weekend away. Can someone recommend some nice/affordable areas to live, or more importantly, can someone recommend places to avoid like the plague?

3. Is there much to do up there?

4. What are schools like?

5. Having lived in Sydney for 5 years, I'm no stranger to heat, however, how hot/humid does it get on the Sunny Coast?

I really appreciate any information that people can provide.

Thanks
    Hi ,

Just saw your post and thought I'd give my view on it. I am currently living in Hervey Bay with my O.H . today he was offered a job in the Sunshine Coast and he is going to take it.
    I personally think there is loads to do in the Sunshine coast. Since i have come over from Ireland 2 and half months ago, we have gone up there for at least 4 weekends.
    I found Maroochydore/Mooloolaba quite exciting, then again Im living in Hervey bay. It does seem to have a nice restaraunt cafe scene and of course for the kids it has underwater world etc. Also Maroochydore has a good cinema complex too. This area does seem to be the main commercial area and whats nice is you can walk /cycle/skateboard from one to the other. It is huge for surfing also.

I was looking on realestate.co, today and i think you can rent a place for a month or 2 because you might find Noosa or Coolum might suit you better.

Regarding House prices its hard to work out, us Irish werent very good at it back home!!. The only thing is wander into a few selling agents, i have . more because im unsure whether to buy again. One realtor said to me house prices are dropping and if owners dropped them 20% from 2008 prices they would have a good chance of selling them.

Best of luck with your move, if you go ahead with it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MilionMilesAway

Thanks very much for your replies, all information is very much appreciated.
    I'm constantly amazed by how widespread Irish people (or even just users of this board) are.
    Looking like we will be moving in about two months, and were looking to move into rented accommodation for a while until we see if we like the place and were we would like to live long term.
    Heres hoping
    Thanks a million

Advertisement