Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof Keyholder

Options
  • 28-06-2011 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Folks

I require a new Key Holder for when I am paddling. As I paddle away from Betty I like to know she is nice and safe with her alarm set sitting there quietly awaiting my return. At the moment, that's causing me issues as I have to use the Valet key because I "lost" my Waterproof keyholder.

"So get yourself onto I-Canoe or Great Outdoors and sort this mess out" I hear you say. Well it isnt that easy.

I-Canoe dont have them listed on their site (email sent) but quite unimpressed I had to ask them as apposed to just seeing one listed.

Great Outdoors have them but they suck. They look like those pouches my nephew gets to keep his Hang Sambos fresh.

Jackson Kayak and Bantry Bay want £15 / €20 respectively for a semi ok one and Surfdock only have something that would cause Ethan Hunt in Mission Impossible some serious issues when tucked under a Buoyancy aid or indeed, in one.

So my question to you good people of the Irish Paddling world of Boards.ie

Have you got any good solid cheap suggestions and preferably Irish for a waterproof keyholder? I can Ebay it or Amazon or UK it but I'd rather send my Euro's within the Emerald Isle.

</rant> :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Better option is to get the key cut and bring that paddling with you. I had one of those waterproof bags before and it didn't work, cost me €120 for a new key... Most alarms will take a few seconds to set fully, so you could lock the keys and alarm fob in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

While I know what your saying it's a massive risk. Insurer would state in your conditions that "The insured shall take all reasonable steps to secure and safe guard their vehicle at all time" and I dont think leaving the key with the vehicle could be seen as taking all reasonable care.

I like Betty... She wouldnt be happy with somebody else booting her around and feeding her washed Diesel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Truley wrote: »

I'll take two 2

Thanks Truley :) Perfect for what I need. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Happy to help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

They had small waterproof pouches for keys or phone in lidl a while ago, keep an eye out sometime and you might get lucky! They were very cheap IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Them aquapac pouches are the business being paddling last 3 years with one, I carry my phone and keys, and they've stayed bone dry, with all wicklow rivers have to throw at it.

In a lot of cases your better off ringing the outdoor shops as they're websites are bit out of sync with their shops.

Them aquapac pouches are the business being paddling last 3 years with one, I carry my phone and keys, and they've stayed bone dry, with all wicklow rivers have to throw at it.

In a lot of cases your better off ringing the outdoor shops as they're websites are bit out of sync with their shops.

I-Canoe's stock system is usually on the ball in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I use a door opening key. Cheap as has no chip. More versatile and less of a worry than drybags.

• Advertisement

ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    I use a door opening key. Cheap as has no chip. More versatile and less of a worry than drybags.

This is a decent idea, however if someone breaks into your car to steal contents and finds the car keys, it ain't so good!

ZuppyLurk wrote: »

Yeah, I have what they call a "Valet Key" Principle being for Valet parking. So you can lock the drivers door only and drive the vehicle. Problem is though that there is no boot control in the cockpit of my yoke and the Valet key wont open the boot. I store my boat in the boot so I dont have to rack up and de rack all the time
    This is a decent idea, however if someone breaks into your car to steal contents and finds the car keys, it ain't so good!

That was my other concern. In order to use the alarm, I have to use the remote on the key fob. So the valet key wouldnt set my alarm.

I actually went a bit bigger than the Drybox 5 that was posted up. Bought this instead and got it this morning. Nice a subtle and fits into my PFD quite nicely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I never take my keys with me when boating, they're useless without the car, and the car useless without the key. If I swim and get a trashing, and lose the keys, we're all boned. If I swim and lose consciousness, the lads may need to access the car, and with the keys stashed at it, they're sorted. If someone else swims and needs to walk out, he's happy knowing that he can get straight in to the car and change.
    So I find somewhere safe to stash them, and all's well. But yeah, ebay's full of the waterproof bags for electonic keys, I think Irish options are pretty thin on the ground.

Thats a hell of a risk WP

People generally watch from afar or search folage etc when you're gone.

If I'm taking a big risk, you're making an even bigger generalisation. People generally watch from afar? That's awful sensationalist.

wet-paint wrote: »
    If I'm taking a big risk, you're making an even bigger generalisation. People generally watch from afar? That's awful sensationalist.

Woah ! Cool the jets there Tonto !

It's a fact that Kayakers (especially around the high volume paddling spots) suffer the burden of theft.

It is noted that whilst people surf the wave at Stackallen on The Boyne, one individual stands and watches the Paddler whilst the other breaks into their car.

You are very naieve if you believe that somebody would not watch you from afar and I can only assume you have never suffered the misfortune of being a victim to crime and hope you never will either. The lenghts that people will go to in order to take possession of your property can be extreme !

Galway is not above criminal activity nor is any part of this fair Island of ours.

There is the second aspect of Insurance should you suffer loss as a consequence of your disregard for your vehicles keys.
    AXA wrote:
    You are also NOT covered for the following

Loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft if the keys (or keyless entry system) are left unsecured or left in or on an unattended car

The consequence of non compliance to this would be your claim is refuted, indemnity denied and your loss uncovered leaving you with no car and effectively uninsured for the same.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Woah ! Cool the jets there Tonto !

It's a fact that Kayakers (especially around the high volume paddling spots) suffer the burden of theft.
    Aha, internet facts, fantastic! Have you any links supporting this point, or is it all word of mouth? You really need to reread your post that I replied to. It reads like something from a tabloid newspaper. You're creating a sense of fear and paranoia for something that is a relatively minor problem.
    I've been boating for about ten years, admittedly, most of it is this side of the Shannon, but no, I've never had **** stolen from a car while paddling. I do hear of increased crime levels around paddle spots up around Dublin, but you're making it sound like a crime riddled pastime that attracts every scumbag who can break a window.
    It is noted that whilst people surf the wave at Stackallen on The Boyne, one individual stands and watches the Paddler whilst the other breaks into their car.
    Again, this is terribly phrased, and makes one believe that you're 100% certain of having your **** stolen while boating there. Sensationalist tripe. And indeed if it's true, then it doesn't matter where your keys are, if people are simply breaking in.
    You are very naieve if you believe that somebody would not watch you from afar...
    Reread what I said. I didn't shoot down your point, only the way you said it.
    Admittedly, any time I was ever up at the Sluice, I'd hide the keys a bit better and further away from the car than if I'm anywhere this side of the country,

Obviously, each to their own points of view, but you haven't addressed my points on the benefits of having the keys stored at the car park spot. The risk I take, as you see it, is more than outweighed by the benefits of having each member of my group having access to my car and its contents. The only actual risk I see, is having criminals using my key to gain entry to the car. That's the only risk. It's still just as vulnerable to people breaking in a window, and stealing the car and its contents.
    As for your point on the insurance angle, that only stands if the keys are used to gain entry to the car, and I'd hazard a guess that occurs in an incredibly low amount of instances of paddling car related crime.
    If somebody ****s a brick through your window, it doesn't matter where you hid your keys.

You're trolling and I am bored in work and shall permit it
    Aha, internet facts, fantastic!
    Eh, Who said it was an internet fact ??
    Have you any links supporting this point, or is it all word of mouth?
    I am in work and unable to access Irish Freestyle but I am confident a troll such as yourself could find the topic using a quick search.
    You really need to reread your post that I replied to.
    No I dont, I wrote it.
    It reads like something from a tabloid newspaper.
    You're being niaeve again.
    You're creating a sense of fear and paranoia for something that is a relatively minor problem.
    €15k Car being stolen and no cover for the same ? Minor problem ? Ummm, Any chance of a loan in that case ?
    I've been boating for about ten years, admittedly, most of it is this side of the Shannon, but no, I've never had **** stolen from a car while paddling. I do hear of increased crime levels around paddle spots up around Dublin, but you're making it sound like a crime riddled pastime that attracts every scumbag who can break a window.
    Visit some Kitesurfing forums too re theft at Dollymount which is rife.
    Again, this is terribly phrased, and makes one believe that you're 100% certain of having your **** stolen while boating there.
    I never said you were 100% sure of suffering loss. If I did I apologise however the risk is quite large.
    Sensationalist tripe.
    You're entitled to your opinion, your opinion is wrong,
    And indeed if it's true,
    It is
    then it doesn't matter where your keys are, if people are simply breaking in.
    There is a bit of difference between losing a window and a stereo / phone than losing your entire car.
    Reread what I said. I didn't shoot down your point, only the way you said it.
    So you admit I was correct but did not like the way I said it, have we dated ?
    Admittedly, any time I was ever up at the Sluice, I'd hide the keys a bit better and further away from the car than if I'm anywhere this side of the country,
    Carry on doing that at the Sluice and you will suffer this fate.
    Obviously, each to their own points of view,
    Agreed
    but you haven't addressed my points on the benefits of having the keys stored at the car park spot. The risk I take, as you see it, is more than outweighed by the benefits of having each member of my group having access to my car and its contents.
    Only once in my 12 years of paddling (not all of them being a driver) have I ever had a walker off the river. In the same breath there is absolutely nothing stopping me from handing my keys to that person when they get off the river. They are with me, secure and safe and if I give them to a walker then they are with them, secure and safe
    The only actual risk I see, is having criminals using my key to gain entry to the car. That's the only risk.
    And then leaving with your car, dry clothes, Furry dice etc ?? Big risk !
    It's still just as vulnerable to people breaking in a window, and stealing the car and its contents.
    Bit difficult to steal a modern vehicle without it's keys. Not impossible but usually not worth the hassle it would pose. If one had the keys however, it makes for it being a lot easier.
    As for your point on the insurance angle, that only stands if the keys are used to gain entry to the car, and I'd hazard a guess that occurs in an incredibly low amount of instances of paddling car related crime.

As for your point on the insurance angle, that only stands if the keys are used to gain entry to the car,
    And then take your vehicle
    and I'd hazard a guess that occurs in an incredibly low amount of instances of paddling car related crime.
    Could happen pretty soon in Galway! :)
    If somebody ****s a brick through your window, it doesn't matter where you hid your keys.
    See last point of previous post.... It does.

Advertisement