Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car safety - What do you think ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I will not condemn a mother who has a child unbelted in the car, far from super gluing the seat belt sometimes there is not much that can be done (having to stop ever 50 meters to do up a seat belt).

I have to disagree with you here. I'm young enough to have grown up with child seats and booster seats. When my younger brother was 3/4 he went through a phase of getting out of his straps (he couldn't unbuckle them but he would take them off his shoulders). Whenever this happened my mum or dad would pull in and not drive off again until he was properly in his seat. Yes, there were one or two extra long journeys but he stopped pretty quickly once he realised he wasn't going to get his own way.

Accidents can happen at anytime anywhere. when your card been called its been called.
    *suppose im one of these fate believers, if its gonna happen, its gonna happen.

Easy to say now. But believe me, when your kids get taken away from you, you don't think "oh well, their time was up" you think about every single thing you could have done to protect them and you will lead a very tough life knowing that you could have saved their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

But you take risks every day, every car trip is a risk. Understandably we should do everything to minimise these risks, wear seatbelts, don't speed etc. Personally I would not leave my child in the car at the shop but I have left him in the car while bringing grocereis in - our driveway is about 100 feet long so I think he is safe. In the terrible example Fittle had the outcome could have been the same if the mother was sitting in the car when the neighbour hit.

That's a good point, do the moms/dads here go over the speed limit? would they knowingly break the speed limit with the kids in the car yet condemn someone who has a child in the car with no seatbelt on.

I have to disagree with you here. I'm young enough to have grown up with child seats and booster seats. When my younger brother was 3/4 he went through a phase of getting out of his straps (he couldn't unbuckle them but he would take them off his shoulders). Whenever this happened my mum or dad would pull in and not drive off again until he was properly in his seat. Yes, there were one or two extra long journeys but he stopped pretty quickly once he realised he wasn't going to get his own way.

ANd if your on a motorway???

Every 50 meters as soon as they are belted in they release it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

That's a good point, do the moms/dads here go over the speed limit? would they knowingly break the speed limit with the kids in the car yet condemn someone who has a child in the car with no seatbelt on.

I can honestly say that I do not speed, whether or not my kids are with me. Stupid risks, and for what? A couple minutes?
    ANd if your on a motorway???

Every 50 meters as soon as they are belted in they release it again.

That's the joy (and responsibility) of being a PARENT! A parent who would rather be late to wherever, arriving with their child safely fastened in their seat then feeling too hassled to care!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I will not condemn a mother who has a child unbelted in the car, far from super gluing the seat belt sometimes there is not much that can be done (having to stop ever 50 meters to do up a seat belt). Must say my son is getting better and better at wearing his seat belt (thats down to his issues) i have to pull over less, as he takes it off less. I care more about him then i do my own life, yet i always wear my seat belt, not for safety reasons more like penalty point reasons and habit.

I had to read this twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things...

Can you explain why its 'his issue', sorry I dont understand that?:confused:

Easy to say now. But believe me, when your kids get taken away from you, you don't think "oh well, their time was up" you think about every single thing you could have done to protect them and you will lead a very tough life knowing that you could have saved their lives.

Thankfully that has not happened to me and hopefully it never will. what happens happens nothing you can do can change the past. all the what ifs. same goes for bouncy castles trampolines, smoke detectors, horse riding, if i only or i should have never.

You make the decision and have to live with the consequences.

same as if your speeding, is an extra 10 mile an hour going to matter even though they are strapped in? if you were going slower you could have avoided the accident....... all the what ifs..... never ending what ifs....

smoke detectors,

:eek:

You make the decision and have to live with the consequences.

easier said than done

Thankfully that has not happened to me and hopefully it never will. what happens happens nothing you can do can change the past.

No, but you can potentially change the outcome of a deadly situation by taking simple steps to do so.

Justask wrote: »
    I had to read this twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things...

Can you explain why its 'his issue', sorry I dont understand that?:confused:

My son does not understand language
    Can not follow instructions
    Cannot understand instructions
    is defiant,
    Has sensory issues
    His speech is disordered
    Comprehension is disordered
    Is hyperactive
    He has melt downs because he does not know what to do or what is expected of him, which you have to ignore when your driving other wise you will be stuck ont he side of the road for an our giving him sensory input to calm him down.

He does not understand he has to keep his seat belt on, you tell him he does not understand it, he wont obey it as he doesn't have a clue what your on about. you cant reason with him as he does not understand reasoning.

He is 4 and has great mobility and fine motor skills. he does not like waering the seatbelt. After 3 years he is now starting to ware his seat belf 99% of the time, he could undo his seat belt at 16 months.

My son does not understand language
    Can not follow instructions
    Cannot understand instructions
    is defiant,
    Has sensory issues
    His speech is disordered
    Comprehension is disordered
    Is hyperactive
    He has melt downs because he does not know what to do or what is expected of him, which you have to ignore when your driving other wise you will be stuck ont he side of the road for an our giving him sensory input to calm him down.

He does not understand he has to keep his seat belt on, you tell him he does not understand it, he wont obey it as he doesn't have a clue what your on about. you cant reason with him as he does not understand reasoning.

He is 4 and has great mobility and fine motor skills. he does not like waering the seatbelt. After 3 years he is now starting to ware his seat belf 99% of the time, he could undo his seat belt at 16 months.

So your little dude has special needs ??:confused:

So kids with special needs dont need to wear seat belts in a car :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

After 3 years he is now starting to ware his seat belf 99% of the time, he could undo his seat belt at 16 months.

I would have changed car seats.

:eek:

No, but you can potentially change the outcome of a deadly situation by taking simple steps to do so.

Oh yes dont buy a car, dont get into a car, while your at it dont buy a trampoline/bouncy castle/slide/swings or go horse riding, buy a nice little padded cell ;) thats should be safe.........

Oh yes dont buy a car, dont get into a car, while your at it dont buy a trampoline/bouncy castle/slide/swings or go horse riding, buy a nice little padded cell ;) thats should be safe.........

Those things you are talking about are normal every day things that everyone does at some point. Taking steps to reduce the risk of harm from those every day things is a parent's responsibility.

Trampoline: Buy a surround
    Bouncy castle/swings: make sure it's anchored down properly
    Horse riding: Make sure you have protective equipment, e.g. helmet
    Car: Ensure your child is strapped in.

It's not rocket science. It's parenting.

I would have changed car seats.

Well i did 3 of them, he could undo baby seat belts and the proper car seat belt! or i could have tied his hand behind his back. Prehaps i should have sedated him?

Easier said then done if you havent experienced it before.

Early intervention team ran out of ideas.

Prehaps i should have sedated him?

perhaps!

Those things you are talking about are normal every day things that everyone does at some point. Taking steps to reduce the risk of harm from those every day things is a parent's responsibility.

Trampoline: Buy a surround
    Bouncy castle/swings: make sure it's anchored down properly
    Horse riding: Make sure you have protective equipment, e.g. helmet
    Car: Ensure your child is strapped in.

It's not rocket science. It's parenting.

So was driving around with no seat belts, that was the norm for years.

Trampoline - just becasue you have a surround does not stop you from landing and breaking your neck!

Protective equipment does not prevent death you can be loaded to high heaven with protective equipment and still die.

Many kids are still killed in their car seats does not guarantee you child will live if they are in one, they may be safer but really depends on the crash and the speed what the crash happened at.

Why didn't you mention anything about speeding? Dont you know speed is the number 1 killer. Why not say slow down!

All im saying is not to condemn a mother who drives with the child out of the seat belt (you dont know or car about the reasons they are not in the seat) those who speed are just as bad, I suppose a lot here would be hypocrites if they condemn the mother of an unbelted child and yet speed/break the speed limit........

perhaps!

perhaps i would be done for child cruelty!

His alive and learning each day so much so that his seat belt is on most of the time.

Prehaps people should stop being so judgemental and look after thier own kids and let other people worry about their own.

So was driving around with no seat belts, that was the norm for years.

Smoking was the norm for years. Now we know it kills

Trampoline - just becasue you have a surround does not stop you from landing and breaking your neck!

But you have taken steps to minimise the risk
    Protective equipment does not prevent death you can be loaded to high heaven with protective equipment and still die.

See above!
    Many kids are still killed in their car seats does not guarantee you child will live if they are in one, they may be safer but really depends on the crash and the speed what the crash happened at.

Yep, my two were killed while strapped into their car seats. A truck hit them, they hadn't much chance. But you know something? I can live with myself because I know for a fact that I took steps to protect them to the best of my ability.
    Why didn't you mention anything about speeding? Dont you know speed is the number 1 killer. Why not say slow down!

The thread is about seatbelts! Start a thread about slowing down and I will gladly back you up.
    All im saying is not to condemn a mother who drives with the child out of the seat belt (you dont know or car about the reasons they are not in the seat) those who speed are just as bad, I suppose a lot here would be hypocrites if they condemn the mother of an unbelted child and yet speed/break the speed limit........

I will condemn parents who drive with their children unbelted. There is NO excuse for it. End of.

Ayla wrote: »
    That's great, but you're not going to try and say the risks now are the same as when they were when you were a kid, are you? There are tons more cars on the roads now, people drive much more carelessly (automatically) and at much greater speed. My husband also drove on the top of hay bales when he was a kid, but what was once a small Donegal road has become the main stretch now. I used to ride in the back of pick up trucks, but it's simply not the same now.

That's just plain lazy. My kids have never *once* touched their belts. If they did they'd get a serious talking to. And if they tried it again, by god I would tape/glue/seal the bloody thing until they get the point!

I grew up in one of the busiest parts of the UK, even more busier than Ireland is now......

Talking too? what if a child does not understand? how are you going to talk to a child that doesnt have a clue what you are saying, that god your kids can understand, try talking to one that cant.....

also what if the car crashed into water the car seat secured so well that the child drowns, you cant undo the bloody thing under the water, you would be a murderer. Thats why ive never sealed his seatbelt.

Ok, really, calm yourself down. Yes speed is a massive killer, as is driving while intoxicated. Neither of those occurrences tend to happen when a child is in the car (not saying that it doesn't happen, just that the statistics show those involved in these accidents tend to be of other age groups).

There is a reason why LAWS are in place to keep children in their seats. Same as why driving while using mobile phones is banned. Same as why proper driving instruction and supervision is required before getting behind the wheel. It is so people arrive to their destination safely.

People do judge those who don't buckle their kids in, and they should - it is irresponsible and mainly due to negligence. It is also ILLEGAL, and for good cause.

• Advertisement

Yep, my two were killed while strapped into their car seats. A truck hit them, they hadn't much chance. But you know something? I can live with myself because I know for a fact that I took steps to protect them to the best of my ability..

I am so so sorry to hear that...:(:(:(

See above!

Yep, my two were killed while strapped into their car seats. A truck hit them, they hadn't much chance. But you know something? I can live with myself because I know for a fact that I took steps to protect them to the best of my ability.

The thread is about seatbelts! Start a thread about slowing down and I will gladly back you up.

I will condemn parents who drive with their children unbelted. There is NO excuse for it. End of.

You could live with it, sorry to hear that if it were me i would be with them. awful, again thankfully its never happened to me.

Hypothetically!

what about if it was your actions that made the truck crash into you? kid just undid his seat belt you turn to tell him to put it back on loose concentration on the road for milliseconds and your child's dead.

Easier said then done.

Have you not seen the allianze ad. dont let kids distract you.

You could live with it, what about if it was your actions that made the truck crash into you? kid just undid his seatblet you turn r tell him to put it back on loose concentration on the road for milliseconds and your child's dead.

Then I would never forgive myself. But what I would have done was stopped safely and then sort out the seatbelt. Again, it's not rocket science.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have to agree,if my girls were not strapped in to their car seats and we were in an accident I would have to live with the what ifs.
    Both my girls are in rear facing isofix car seats because after a lot of research they appeared to be the best car seats for their ages and isofix because there are no questions as to whether they are fitted properly or not.
    We protect our kids as best we can,that is all we can do.
    Lets not forget that it is also a legal requirement.

1 millions of people still smoke some get cancer some dont, depends on what card your delt.

2 minimizing risk does not mean all will end well. every jump is a risk.

Every time you step in the car you take a risk. you never know whos around the corner.

Also to say that my cousin was in a crash a few years back with no seatbelt and it saved his life if he wore it he would have been dead. Depends on the accident, of course we dont have the power of hindsight.

Grindelwald. You can make all the excuses in the world but as far as I'm concerned someone who does not have their child strapped into a height/weight appropriate car seat whilst in a moving car is a bad parent.

... I care more about him then i do my own life, yet i always wear my seat belt, not for safety reasons more like penalty point reasons and habit.

Wow, just imagine getting pulled over at any random checkpoint, then explaining to the guarda that you're buckled in b/c you don't want penalty points but that you allow your developmentally challenged son to remain unbuckled b/c it's too hard to keep him in his seat.

I'm sure the guarda officer would understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

1 millions of people still smoke some get cancer some dont, depends on what card your delt.
    No it doesn't, one in two smokers will die of a smoking related disease. We all have a baseline risk for cancer and other diseases but our lifestyles can substantially add to that risk.

Every time you step in the car you take a risk. you never know whos around the corner.
    But that's what we are all saying. Some risk is always present but we should be doing what we can to minimise this risk.

Then I would never forgive myself. But what I would have done was stopped safely and then sort out the seatbelt. Again, it's not rocket science.

Hopw far would you travel before you could stop safely? depends on the road and traffic condition's right! could be a mile, could be 15. or would you stop in the middle of a busy road in town and do up their seat belt? i doubt not, well that's where i live. I would be home before i found a safe place to pull over.

I ve spoken to a number of guards and all said if i ever got stopped to explain the situation each guard is different but they they themselves would be ok just as long as i re did the seat belt , if he were to take it off as soon as i set off then it would be ok (as long as it was fastened when they saw me drive off).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2 minimizing risk does not mean all will end well. every jump is a risk.

Also to say that my cousin was in a crash a few years back with no seatbelt and it saved his life if he wore it he would have been dead. Depends on the accident, of course we dont have the power of hindsight.

I am trying to work out if you are trolling or if you really are trying to make a point that you think that taking safety precautions with our kids is pointless?

Advertisement