Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would make someone ineligible for a visa.

• 28-06-2011 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I've got this "friend" who had been in the states 6 years ago on a J1 visa, and was arrested and thrown in the drunk tank for the night. He was released without charge the next morning, no court proceedings etc.
    This person has been back in the states since then on holidays (visa waiver) but is now looking to study in the states and will require a visa.

How is the arrest going to affect this and should he even reply yes to the "have you ever been arrested / convicted question.

From the embassy website http://dublin.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas/criminal-convictions.html it seems they aren't concerned unless there was a conviction so would bringing it up at all be a mistake.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Never every lie to immigration, that could lead to a lifetime ban. But, also don't volunteer info. If indeed he was arrested, he needs to indicate that. A one time arrest for public drunkenness is not going to affect his visa, unless there was drugs involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

silja wrote: »
    Never every lie to immigration, that could lead to a lifetime ban. But, also don't volunteer info. If indeed he was arrested, he needs to indicate that. A one time arrest for public drunkenness is not going to affect his visa, unless there was drugs involved.

Spot on Silja. The only issue I can see is if he answered no to the 'have you ever been arrested' question when completing his ESTA for using the visa wavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Padlock69

Spot on Silja. The only issue I can see is if he answered no to the 'have you ever been arrested' question when completing his ESTA for using the visa wavier.

Except its not for a visa waiver form, its for a student visa, he was in the states again 2 years ago for a holiday, answered no to all the questions and there was no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Padlock69 wrote: »
    Except its not for a visa waiver form, its for a student visa, he was in the states again 2 years ago for a holiday, answered no to all the questions and there was no problem.

I know he's looking for a student visa now. I was just speculating that they might have a problem with him saying no on the vwp form 2 years ago when he should have said yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Padlock69

I know he's looking for a student visa now. I was just speculating that they might have a problem with him saying no on the vwp form 2 years ago when he should have said yes.

oh I see what you mean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement