Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't Three like me?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭

AKA: people on Three can't ring my Meteor phone.

OK, having a somewhat unusual problem (I think). Some time ago (good few months to a year) my brother (who is on Three) noticed that any time he rang my (Meteor) phone he just got a 'person can not be reached' message. Strange, but never thought too much about it, presuming it was a problem with his phone. Now, a friend of mine has moved to Three (on the free iPhone deal) - and is having exactly the same issue! So it seems that everyone can ring me, as long as they're not on Three! Same applies to texts. Also got my friend to try my 'real' Meteor SIM number (i.e. the actual 085 number, as opposed to 'my' 087 number) with the same result.

HAs anyone any idea what the problem is? I suspect that it may be related to a brief move I myself made to Three about a year ago. I moved to them (from Meteor) when the iPhone 4 came out but went back to Meteor within days as their network was rubbish. Is it possible the Three network 'thinks' my 087 number is still on Three and this is causing the issue? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Three need to update their routing. Basically, Three think that you're still on Three and need to update to the fact that you are on Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Walkman wrote: »
    Found that yestreday afternoon and asked. Looks like thye only want ot deal with Three cusotmers though!
    chrislad wrote: »
    Three need to update their routing. Basically, Three think that you're still on Three and need to update to the fact that you are on Meteor.

This is what I think but I have no idea of how to go about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is what I think but I have no idea of how to go about it!

It's you need to call meteor not 3, if nobody can ring you from 3 it's a fault on your meteor routing. Call meteor tech support.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

my 'real' Meteor SIM number (i.e. the actual 085 number, as opposed to 'my' 087 number) with the same result.

That 085 number is gone now. It's not your "real" number. Meteor are free to reallocate that number should they wish to, so someone else could eventually have that number.

Also it might be a good idea to get one of your friends to ring three tech support. That is, if they can actually get to a stage beyond being told to restart their phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Adro947 wrote: »
    That 085 number is gone now. It's not your "real" number. Meteor are free to reallocate that number should they wish to, so someone else could eventually have that number.

Also it might be a good idea to get one of your friends to ring three tech support. That is, if they can actually get to a stage beyond being told to restart their phones.

But does my old 087 number not 'map' to an 085 number on the Meteor SIM? My phone's settings list my phone number as an 085 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

But does my old 087 number not 'map' to an 085 number on the Meteor SIM? My phone's settings list my phone number as an 085 number.

Nope. That's just reading from the "own number" on the SIM card. It becomes incorrect if you port (switch networks). The SIM has a SIM number. That's what's used to identify the SIM, the phone number is irrelevant as far as the SIM is concerned. So the number maps to the SIM, replacing the other number, rather than the number mapping to another number...

Also some phones allow you to change the "own number" setting. So you can make your phone say it's number is pretty much anything you want really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's you need to call meteor not 3, if nobody can ring you from 3 it's a fault on your meteor routing. Call meteor tech support.

No, it's the other way around. 3 think that his 087 number is still on 3, when it's back on Meteor. Either way, you can still ring Meteor customer care and they will raise it with 3.

Advertisement