Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Franscisco trying to ban all sales of animals as pets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Banning sale of animals in pet stores? Good.
    Encouraging adoption? Goooood.

Banning any sales of pets, even from responsible breeders? Don't think that's the way forward at all.
    Unless I'm missing something, it's not encouraging adoption, but rather that it'll be the only option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Seems a great idea! It takes away the incentive to create pure breeds and overproduction of fashion dogs. Also it means people who have pups or kittens will more easily be able to offload them I guess.

But there may be a problem of a more flippant approach to neutering/splaying the animals?

I think its an interesting move and if it goes ahead, i would like to see the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I think it's in theory a good idea but I can already see the loopholes and problems with it. The 'sale' of animals is banned but what about free to a good home type 'sales'? I also think it'l push things underground. What about more exotic pets that don't really crop up in shelters, if their not allowed to be sold by good breeders then I would fear that sort of thing would just be pushed underground.

Also I see no problem that if someone wants a certain breed they should be allowed to buy a dog so long as they source a reputable breeeder who health tests and shows/works their dogs.

Advertisement