Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoT CW - Deciding who's joining the battle

Options
  • 28-06-2011 10:34am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭

With our current CW thread closing in on 500 pages (would people be willing to sign up to a non boards hosted forum instead? If so I'll look at arranging one) I thought a new thread is more suitable to discuss who's joining the fights.

Here are our current premises as I see it:
    • We have 2 Fights a night (starting after 7pm but only known exact time after 7pm)
    • 15+ people relatively regularly (we had 18 and 20 last night for example)
    • Fights may be at the same time / close to each other
    • We can find out # per tier and type in any clan we’re going up against (i.e. gauge chance of winning from no way in hell to might stand a chance)
    • TS is available but not everyone on it to get orders / direction were to go/do when/where
    • Our tanks vary from tier 5 to 10 with a mix of everything (currently 4 Tier Xs on regularly with several tier 8/9s)
    Now I know some people suggest we simply take our highest tier tanks and throw them into the battle but I disagree for a few reasons:
    We need to plan what we need rather than just take the highest tiers
    This means we need to have a rough formation in mind:

I.e. as example for map X we need:
    • 5 Tier X tanks, at least 2 Maus
    • 3 Mediums
    • 3 Arties
    • 4 fillers (based on what’s available)
    Route is going to be heavies to go Y with support of 1 medium with 2 mediums scouting or similar

Secondly we also need to rotate people in; ok, perhaps a guy only has a tier 8 or 9 tank but he’s shown up every night; why should he not be allowed to participate in some fights? What about if someone can’t / don’t want to join the TS or follow orders? Etc. Also with new comers in the clan they should get an idea what CW means and why top tier tank (of which ever preference) is not a recommendation but a requirement for CW.

Hence my suggestion would be this:
    At least one fight a night against the “easiest” opponent (based on their clan tanks) is done with highest tiers available. If we got multiple fits in a tier rotate between them between nights. TS attendance for this is mandatory and a lower tank on TS get priority over someone not on TS in a higher tier. People don’t need a mic (unless they are a platoon commander) but they do need to be online to listen to the orders that are given.

The exact tanks chosen for the fight is decided by the battle commander (currently Ptegan or Dublin_Gunner). Platoon commanders are assigned as needed to take part of the force and lead them (i.e. heavies are assigned one person to lead and given an overall goal by DG, mediums are assigned one person and given a goal etc.)

One fight a night is for the people who were ready but could not attend & lower tiers/newer people to get an idea why they need to grind up for CW.; this is a “fun” fight more than a “anything goes to win fight”. TS is not required but recommended. This is to introduce people to the CW concept and give them a chance to feel they are part of the clan. Note that if someone participates in this battle as a replacement for the one battle listed above they would still get first spot the next night for the "serious" battle.

Later on we’ll need to consider training times to really work on our coordination but one step at the time :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Hey Nody.

All very relevant points.

I'll take last night as a case in point.

We tried to get our strongest team in the first battle (and I think we succeeded in that regard) and swap out players for the second battle for the guys who dropped out of the first / were excluded due to tier etc

Unfortunately, the second battle was a complete waste of time, as they rushed with 7 IS-7's.

While it would be great to get everyone together and give people a taste of the Clan matches, personally I think that Company Battles would be better for giving new guys / guys that don't get into clan battles a taste of what the high tier battles are about - but actually have a chance of winning.

Keeping our strongest teams for the high tier battles is done for 2 reasons that I can think of straight away 1) Give us potentially the best chance of winning and 2) Keep our strongest team playing together regularly which should make us a stronger team.

If we manage to win a province, and hold it, it will benefit the entire clan, by being able to distribute gold we earn from it among the members.

I would always hope that those on the periphery would keep striving to reach their high tier tanks to get more involved in the company battles.

I for instance, would most likely exclude myself from most battles only I drive a fairly high tier arty, and would consider myself fairly decent with it (and I'm usually 1 of 2/3 arty there for a match).

Another thing, we only need 2 more members, and we can arrange 3 battles per evening (we're just short of 45 players / tickets) which will hopefully give us more options going into battles in the evenings.

Clan structure

We are growing, and we're growing fast.

We are getting to a point where we really need to start putting a bit more organisation into the clan.

We have always had members that just want to have guys to game with, without getting too serious about it, and that's perfectly fine, but I think we're now at a stage that we have vastly MORE players that wish to compete.

In order to facilitate this, and help keep us more organised, I have the following proposals:

1. Teamspeak shall be a requirement. If you don't have it, you won't play in a clan battle. Communication is of utmost importance in matches.
    2. The clan shall be divided into platoons. I am going to take some time out maybe tonight to organise who goes where (mostly based on time in clan, tanks driven, & play style). Each platoon will have a mixture of veterans (one of which will be the platoon leader) and new members.
    3. Command structure. We don't want a clan where anyone is bossing anyone around or anything. But having someone there that others listen to in battle (right or wrong!) helps keep our direction and focus during games. I know I've been that guy for the most part (and made plenty of mistakes too!) but it's about time we had a few others step up to the plate in sub-command roles.
    4. Following on from that - we need platoon leaders. For each battle, we need a Heavy/Assault PL, a Medium/Assault PL, and an Arty/Scout PL. Arty and scout should be the one unit IMO.
    5. Web forum. This is something I was thinking of too. I think we've more than enough players to move away from Boards.ie and have our own forum. We'll have to ask the Boards mods (Spearman?) if there's any issue continuing with the B-IE name if we move to a different forum. There are plenty of free PHP-BB based forums afaik

Now all of this is out of my own head, and has not been discussed with anyone (not least Ponster) so everyone's input at this stage is very important so "we're all singing form the same hymn sheet" so to speak.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

1. Web forum. This is something I was thinking of too. I think we've more than enough players to move away from Boards.ie and have our own forum. We'll have to ask the Boards mods (Spearman?) if there's any issue continuing with the B-IE name if we move to a different forum. There are plenty of free PHP-BB based forums afaik

We could just request a sub-forum of MMO's to use. If we intend to keep the B.IE name, we're still pretty much bound by the boards.ie rules. Plus it'd look a bit odd to have clan named after one site, but the to use another. Might as well make use of what's here. Plus we've got Dav in the clan, which may up the odds of a sub forum. I'll start the thread for the request if it's wanted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd happily pay for a private sub forum (reason for private is to avoid every map with our tactics would be made available for someone googling as boards.ie tends to be high in google's ranks).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Nody wrote: »
    I'd happily pay for a private sub forum (reason for private is to avoid every map with our tactics would be made available for someone googling as boards.ie tends to be high in google's ranks).

We could have a private subforum of a WoT forum for clan members only. Again we already have the needed tools here.

Just a little something I knocked together....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i dont think we have any chance of taking any province until were driving around with 10 tier 10s, like that clan we met last night.

pointless for now, theres too many high tier clans

Nody wrote: »

Boards.ie WoT Clan Page (test)

Can be kept, or deleted. I don't mind....

There are hidden forums there that only become visible when you're a registered member.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Did anyone put a formal Forum Request in for a WoT forum? Just saying that I might have a bit more clout in these things to make them happen :p If any of you don't realise, this is the personal account of this numpty ;)

If there's no proper forum requested, I can start a private clan forum for us, no problem.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Did anyone put a formal Forum Request in for a WoT forum? Just saying that I might have a bit more clout in these things to make them happen :p If any of you don't realise, this is the personal account of this numpty ;)

If there's no proper forum requested, I can start a private clan forum for us, no problem.

Go for it so Shim :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Shiminay wrote: »

Why yes there is, it has been there for weeks now I'm sure only the boards.ie software got the time stamp wrong or something :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement