Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact lenses uncomfortable?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

This may be the stooopidest question ever but is there any earthly reason being pregnant would affect contact lenses??!!

I can barely wear mine these days, they're just so uncomfortable even when I put drops in every few hours. This literally happened in the last few weeks and the only thing I can think of is the pregnancy.

I use monthly lenses and I opened a new set in the last week- no improvement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I actually read that before in my pregnancy book! I can't remember the exact why's and why nots, because I don't use contact lenses but I remember reading it and thinking, oh that's interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I have the pregnancy app on my android phone & on week 22 it said that the shape of your eyeballs can change during pregnancy due to fluid retention, or you may suffer from dry eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

It's very common to have to switch to glasses rather than contacts during pregnancy. Like the others said, it's due to increased fluid levels in the pregnant body and swelling in the eye causing it to change shape. You can either switch to wearing glasses or get new contacts to fit the new shape. It's likely your eyes will change shape again after the birth - your old contacts may suit again then - so the cheaper option may be the one to go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Thanks for the replies, off to the opticians with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yes definitely. All the water retention can affect this as well as your prescription. I had a lot of problems with vision from the late second trimester onwards. The optician told me no point in a new prescription because fluid levels change and so will your vision.

Nothing you can do about it im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crankypanda

Yikes! I'm petrified of this happening to me because I'm absolutely reliant on my rgp contact lenses. Unfortunately because of a problem with my eyes, glasses do nothing to correct my vision and without my lenses in, I'm pretty much confined to bed for my own safety. Driving, working and reading would be impossible. Keeping my fingers crossed I avoid this one.

Advertisement