Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which form to fill in when applying for Free Fees/Student Service Charge only?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hiya,

Just wondering which form do you fill out when you are applying for free fees and the Student services charge only?

Ive checked studentfinance.ie and I can only see the student grant form. I s that the form you use?

Im not applying for the student grant as ill be getting BTEA.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yerraya

fonzy157 wrote: »
    Hiya,

Just wondering which form do you fill out when you are applying for free fees and the Student services charge only?

Ive checked studentfinance.ie and I can only see the student grant form. I s that the form you use?

Many Thanks

Hey as far as I remember from last year you use the same student grant form as everyone else and there is a box to tick to say that you will be receiving BTEA. It is automatically assumed then that you're just looking for fees to be covered. I'm sure thats how mine was done last year....didnt realise they were out already so must go and have a look now and start filling it out myself!....a word of warning be prepared for it to be a long and drawn out process with the grant office they can be a nightmare unfortunately:( my only advice is perseverance!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Oh, cheers for that!
    I thought that there might of been a seperate form etc
    Have heard the horror stories about the grant process, not looking forward to it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

Sorry to hijack the thread, but no point in starting a new one!!

I am just wondering if anyone knows exactly whats covered when applying for ''free fees''.

Im a mature student starting in dit this september, and there is a ''capitation fee'' of €2000, im just wondering will this be covered? I am eligible for BTEA so will be applying for that and not the grant!!

Any info would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

rob w wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but no point in starting a new one!!

I am just wondering if anyone knows exactly whats covered when applying for ''free fees''.

Im a mature student starting in dit this september, and there is a ''capitation fee'' of €2000, im just wondering will this be covered? I am eligible for BTEA so will be applying for that and not the grant!!

Any info would be great

If you get BTEA, you then apply on the form at studentfinance.ie for the fee grant. This covers the 2K capitation fee

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

heya ya as said by JohnnyMcg you're fees will be covered so the grant office will pay the €2000 capitation fee. Usually a college will leave you part register you until the grant office covers the fees. There is also a student levy which needs to be paid by students on registration its usually in and around the €90 mark. Best of luck with your studies! I'm aslo a mature....best thing I ever did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

Thanks for the info!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I didn't want to start a new thread as it's a similar question!

I'm going to be getting the BTEA and will be a mature student but living at home with parents. My father is self employed and my mother works part time, what are my chances of getting the registration fees of 2000euro covered?
    I can't see it being easy to get some of the information from my parents so I'd rather know if it's worth my while to even bother applying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

*Lees* wrote: »
    I didn't want to start a new thread as it's a similar question!

I'm going to be getting the BTEA and will be a mature student but living at home with parents. My father is self employed and my mother works part time, what are my chances of getting the registration fees of 2000euro covered?
    I can't see it being easy to get some of the information from my parents so I'd rather know if it's worth my while to even bother applying! :)

It really depends of what your parents income is -

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

yerraya wrote: »
    heya ya as said by JohnnyMcg you're fees will be covered so the grant office will pay the €2000 capitation fee. Usually a college will leave you part register you until the grant office covers the fees. There is also a student levy which needs to be paid by students on registration its usually in and around the €90 mark. Best of luck with your studies! I'm aslo a mature....best thing I ever did :)

can you tell me a bit more about the piece in bold please. thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

fonzy157 wrote: »
    Hiya,

Many Thanks

I thought you had to apply for the student grant first to enable you to apply for the course fees and student services charge! I was going to apply for BTEA but I've not been out of education for two years

• Advertisement

I dont think it makes a difference which one you apply for first so long as you apply for both thats why on the grants form its asks "are you or will you be receiving BTEA."

hdowney wrote: »
    can you tell me a bit more about the piece in bold please. thank you

This levy normally covers extras provided by the college such as clubs and societies, student unions, sports facilities etc. I believe the cost may differ depending on which college you are attending. By paying this levy yourself the college can then part register you until the grant office sends you notification that they will be covering your fees. when you receive this notification (which could be some time after you initially register) you inform the registration office and then you can be fully registered. Maybe its done differently in other colleges but this is how I registered last year in NUIM. If you check out the fees section on the college website it should give you more info there or else contact the fees and grants office they should be able to give you the full details. Hope that helps!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

yerraya wrote: »
    This levy normally covers extras provided by the college such as clubs and societies, student unions, sports facilities etc. I believe the cost may differ depending on which college you are attending. By paying this levy yourself the college can then part register you until the grant office sends you notification that they will be covering your fees. when you receive this notification (which could be some time after you initially register) you inform the registration office and then you can be fully registered. Maybe its done differently in other colleges but this is how I registered last year in NUIM. If you check out the fees section on the college website it should give you more info there or else contact the fees and grants office they should be able to give you the full details. Hope that helps!:)

cheers :D one more q! so this 90 or whatever the college in question charges is on top of the 2000 fees. like when the grants office confirm your grant and therefore you get fully registered you won't be seeing this 90 back? ah well i'd sooner pay 90 and be part registered and be able to get on with it than not pay anything but not be registered and have to wait on the grants office. you don't need that kinda stress as a new student at all.

As far as I remember (you'd swear it was years ago and not just last year!!!) its not covered by the grant though I could be wrong! ya its way easier to be registered partly as you could be waiting for some time for the grant to come through. Plus you need to be registered to get your student number and password so you can access blackboard/moodle where lecture notes and assignments are posted online.

Advertisement