Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this creeper called?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

It's growing on some houses in my estate and I'd like to grow it on the front of our house. The leaves turn a lovely red colour. How would I grow it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Looks like Virginia Creeper - its very invasive & can cause damage if its not maintained. I'd have thought it would take easily from cuttings or self seeded plants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Andip wrote: »
    Looks like Virginia Creeper - its very invasive & can cause damage if its not maintained. I'd have thought it would take easily from cuttings or self seeded plants

Great, thanks! How do I grow it? At the moment the garden has a cement strip under the window. However we are shortly commencing renovations and the cement will be coming up. The rest of the garden has raised railway sleeper beds that are planted and pebble stones instead of grass (don't know the correct name :o). Do you plant directly into the ground? Scuse my ignorance but I'm a novice at this!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

It's Parthenocissus tricuspidata 'Veittchi'

Very easy to grow, but needs to go in the ground. It's a very quick grower, often growing 5 to 10 feet per year at maturity. Care should be taken to trim around windows and doors and under the eaveruns as damage can occur if the tendrils root in.

Another variety to look out for is Parthenocissus henryanna, purple leaf in summer changing to scarlet before falling in autumn

Advertisement