Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merger: i102-104 + i105-107 = iRadio

• 25-06-2011 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

is this show gone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Not just the show, but most of i105107's presenters, as the two stations are effectively merging as 'iRadio' from July 4th.

According to a thread on another forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Which 2 stations?

I thought there was just the 1! all a bit to happy with themselves and their dancy music for my liking...

i102104 - North West, and i105107, midlands and north-east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

alinton wrote: »
    Not just the show, but most of i105107's presenters, as the two stations are effectively merging as 'iRadio' from July 4th.

According to a thread on another forum.

Link please. I don't listen too the iradio much anymore. I prefer 2fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

iTalk gone is a disgrace, the 2 presenters really livened up the evening, it was by far the best show on the station.. other shows have got a bit bland lately but italk always had something different every night. It'll be very disappointing if the 2 stations merge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Yeah very disappointing to see this happen. But Mary and Pete won't be long without work. Nor will the presenters on i105107 who've lost their jobs. The presenters left must be really struggling to come on air and sound like everything is normal, and credit to them. They are all sounding great. Hopefully when the dust settles this time things can find some sort of normality and consistancy across the station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I was going to post recently about Bernard & Keith, and how I enjoyed listening to them. Don't know why I didn't in the end.. But they were sounding well I thought.

Reading the other forum across the road and it seems to be true. Most of 105 107 cleared out and to merged (apart from a couple of programmes) from July.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

Anyone know if this means Peter G will be returning to iGo Home? Himself and Ferg worked very well together and IMO he's been a big lose since he moved to iTalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭juma

Apparently from the 4th July i102104 and i105107 will be merged to form iRadio. A number of staff have already been let go, mainly those working for i105107.

From what I've heard (open to correction here) the iRadio line up will be:
    iWake Up with Dave O'Connor
    iWork with Mark Cunning and Simon Murdoch
    iGo Home with Fergal D'Arcy
    Ar Éileamh with Barbara NicDhonnacha
    iTalk with Chris Green

Best of luck in the future to all those let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Sad news. I live in the Midlands and had access and listened to both stations. It seems some very good presenters have been let go. IMO it’s a huge mistake letting Bernard and Keith go and holding onto Dave O'Connor. I cant believe anyone would think he'd be the better option for the Breakfast Show. Pity we've lost 2 very funny and talented men and now are stuck with Dave, who to me is very one dimensional, lacks genuine comedic talent and relies far to often on using rehashed jokes/pranks. Poor decision. Looks like its TodayFM for me in the mornings from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

A very strange pair of radio stations, and absolutely torture to listen to.

Breakfast with B&K is atrocious. They seem to want to shock people into submission. Some of their stuff borders on obscene, most of it banal and some of it just turgid.

A successful radio station is one which gets good advertising revenue. iRadio are targeting teenagers and young people, people with little spending power. The consequence of this is an inability to get good advertising income.

Mary and Pete getting shafted is a disgrace, more entertaining than Chris Greene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Gophur wrote: »
    A very strange pair of radio stations, and absolutely torture to listen to.

Breakfast with B&K is atrocious. They seem to want to shock people into submission. Some of their stuff borders on obscene, most of it banal and some of it just turgid.

A successful radio station is one which gets good advertising revenue. iRadio are targeting teenagers and young people, people with little spending power. The consequence of this is an inability to get good advertising income.

100% agree with this - specially the last point. The only ones with money in this economy are those over 50. And they're either listening to Radio 1 or to local radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

danh789 wrote: »
    IMO it’s a huge mistake letting Bernard and Keith go and holding onto Dave O'Connor. I cant believe anyone would think he'd be the better option for the Breakfast Show. Pity we've lost 2 very funny and talented men and now are stuck with Dave, who to me is very one dimensional, lacks genuine comedic talent and relies far to often on using rehashed jokes/pranks. Poor decision. Looks like its TodayFM for me in the mornings from now on.

It was probably a economical decision rather than an ecumenical matter. One wage is cheaper than two. Anyway I think that Bernard and Keith are probably heading for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Realt11 wrote: »
    Mary and Pete getting shafted is a disgrace, more entertaining than Chris Greene.

What time will this Chris Greene guy be on from? Was he on the old i105107 station? I was listening to IRadio tonight and it was someone entirely different that was on. I thought her name was Áine Brady (although I am open to correction on this)

Kojak wrote: »
    What time will this Chris Greene guy be on from? Was he on the old i105107 station? I was listening to IRadio tonight and it was someone entirely different that was on. I thought her name was Áine Brady (although I am open to correction on this)

He'll be on at 10pm, the same time iTalk used to be on. i just dont find him funny in comparison to the other two :( That was probably Lisa Brady who was on,shes not bad, she does be on i102-104 most weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Sad to hear Bernard & Keith have gone. I can see people have mixed opinions of them but I did enjoy listening to them on the way to work. I've never listened to i102104 so I've no idea what this new guy will be like. In relation to Chris Greene in the afternoons, he's quiet funny at times too, Ciara came across like she was trying too hard sometimes and when she was without Chris she was a disaster. So I'll probably miss Chris in the afternoons. Fergal D'arcy is sitting in this week for breakfast.. Still not sure about him, whats everyone's opinion on him? Any suggestion for a good morning/afternoon radio show? I used to listen to Rick O'Shea in the afternoons, got a bit bored of him. Been stuck in an office from 9-5 means I need good radio shows :).
    Sad to see alot of people been axed from i105 though, wish them the best of luck in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Sad to hear Bernard and Keith off i105107 Breakfast Show have been axed. Really enjoyed them in the mornings. Bit of light entertainment is needed in the mornings.
    Chris Greene's Third i afternoon show seems to have gone too with him getting a new nightly slot at 10pm which looks like his co-host on the afternoon show, Ciara King, has also been axed.
    Looks like serious cut backs in iRadio judging by an earlier thread I read.
    Anyone know where Bernard & Keith may be headed next? Surely Keith will stay in the radio business with him coming from Spin before iRadio.
    All the best to those who have lost their job with i recently. Never nice for anyone to be let go! Wish them all the best in the future :)

just to clarify, Ciara's not gone.

But yeah, lot of cut backs. Hopefully the last of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

lippy11 wrote: »
    Sad to hear Bernard & Keith have gone. I can see people have mixed opinions of them but I did enjoy listening to them on the way to work. I've never listened to i102104 so I've no idea what this new guy will be like. In relation to Chris Greene in the afternoons, he's quiet funny at times too, Ciara came across like she was trying too hard sometimes and when she was without Chris she was a disaster. So I'll probably miss Chris in the afternoons. Fergal D'arcy is sitting in this week for breakfast.. Still not sure about him, whats everyone's opinion on him? Any suggestion for a good morning/afternoon radio show? I used to listen to Rick O'Shea in the afternoons, got a bit bored of him. Been stuck in an office from 9-5 means I need good radio shows .

Sad to see alot of people been axed from i105 though, wish them the best of luck in the future

If you're looking for a good show then I couldnt advice you strongly enough to stay away from Dave O'Connor's Show. Car crash radio. No humour, no wit, rarely anything interesting covered/discussed and yet he claims its "the fun way to wake up":rolleyes:. And he's one of the most up-his-own arse people I've come across. He seems to have this attitude that a regional radio station is beneath his "talents" when in reality college radio would be too good for Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

No mary and pete??:O Thats kind of a shocker there!!! If they start makingh huge changes like that they will loose listeners!

swizzle123 wrote: »
    No mary and pete??:O Thats kind of a shocker there!!! If they start makingh huge changes like that they will loose listeners!

Pete should have been brought back to iGo Home. Ferg and himself were very good together.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

JohnP199 wrote: »
    Pete should have been brought back to iGo Home. Ferg and himself were very good together.

Yep for sure!!! Pete made that programme... Fergal can be a pain in the arse to listen to sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Realt11 wrote: »
    Only ever listened to i102-104 at the time when Greene was on. Always liked Pete but Mary was so boring.

Will be tuning in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

im very sorry for peter,hazel and mary (ALL of them actually) all are very enthusiastic & hard workers,its an awful pity.
    They wont be out of work for long.
    Looking forward to hearing Chris Greene again also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Melmar

What I wouldn't give to hear Joe and Keith in the morning again. Other Dublin breakkie shows just don't cut it the way they did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

I thought IRadio was doing really well, so their thank you adverts seem to impress after listener ratings came out there a while back. Well guess time will tell. Actually looking forward to Chris' night time show, used to listen to his show at night on I102-104 with Mary McGill.

Bye Bernard and Keith:(

Still waiting for link that poster was saying he was on a different site were they found out. I can't find anything out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

1 thread will do for discussion on the changes to iRadio - 3 threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,594 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In some ways this was inevitable and fairly obvious from the get go. 105107 puts its studio right at the edge of its franchise (actually, outside it!) but somewhere which would be centred in a merged franchise. Then 102104 moves studios.

The 105107 franchise area has its audience eaten in to on two fronts; Dublin and NI, so would be able to claim unviability unless merged with 102104...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

MYOB wrote: »
    In some ways this was inevitable and fairly obvious from the get go. 105107 puts its studio right at the edge of its franchise (actually, outside it!) but somewhere which would be centred in a merged franchise. Then 102104 moves studios.

The 105107 franchise area has its audience eaten in to on two fronts; Dublin and NI, so would be able to claim unviability unless merged with 102104...
    I'm not sure studio location is relevant.
    Also, regards the audience level, it was actually quite good and increasing each book, I think.
    The problem was attracting advertisers. There's only so much cash to go round and no matter how many "kids" listen to i radio, if they don't spend then the station won't get the ads.
    Running a station is expensive. Even without payroll, there are transmission costs. Each transmitter is probably costing the station the equivilent of 1 wage a year to run. Essentially, i radio is a college station on a grand scale. Mad to think it could ever work on a regional scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The BAI should not allow this sort of thing to happen. If the iRadio company can't afford to run two regions its quite simple, hand back the licence. To be honest their commitment to the North East was questionable when they broadcasted from the West Regional studios. That never sat with me. What's next Spin SW to Merge with Spin in Dublin?

Oh and now they have one station covering the Midlands, West, North West and North East. Have other applicants who applied for the licence at the initial start up got any come back?

That's not really the case, the NW studios were originally in Galway. The Midlands/NE studios were built in Athlone.

When it was decided to consolidate the two operations, Galway was closed and the NW station moved to Athlone.

So the midlands/NE station never broadcast from the 'West regional studios'.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

alinton wrote: »
    That's not really the case, the NW studios were originally in Galway. The Midlands/NE studios were built in Athlone.

When it was decided to consolidate the two operations, Galway was closed and the NW station moved to Athlone.

So the midlands/NE station never broadcast from the 'West regional studios'.

A.
    They can rename both stations Radio Athlone now!

I 105 have moved too newbridge awhile back. They no longer in athlone.

• Advertisement

juma wrote: »
    Apparently from the 4th July i102104 and i105107 will be merged to form iRadio. A number of staff have already been let go, mainly those working for i105107.

From what I've heard (open to correction here) the iRadio line up will be:
    iWake Up with Dave O'Connor
    iWork with Mark Cunning and Simon Murdoch
    iGo Home with Fergal D'Arcy
    Ar Éileamh with Barbara NicDhonnacha
    iTalk with Chris Green

Best of luck in the future to all those let go.

Dave O'Connor is definately the weak link in that line-up. He's going to be under huge pressure now, especially considering the backlash there appears to be from listeners over the decision to keep him rather than Bernard and Keith.

cena wrote: »

they have an outlying studio there, they have not moved.

yeah, nonsense tbf. they got another unit alright, but didn't move there permanently. main hq studio's are in athlone which is where the newly named iradio will broadcast from. The newbridge studios are to iradio what stephens green is to 98fm

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Starterbar

About two years ago, I made the switch from Today FM over to I 102-104,mainly to do with the music choice.We all listened to this in the office,but to be honest,the DJ's are terrible. Around a year ago (possibly more) we got a new radio and it was able to pick up I105-107 and to be honest the DJ s are alot more entertaining. If the new line up is correct, I think this could spell the end of I-radio. Firstly,waking up to the Dave O Connor instead of Bernard and Keith could result in a major listenership drop. Mark Cunning and Simon Murdoch merged might not be too bad as sometimes I think that Mark isnt suited to singlehandly anchoring a show. The afternoon show is where the real test will lie,because there is a major difference in Chris Greens personality and Fergal Darcys. To be honest I wouldnt be into Fergal Darcys immature rants and laughing at his own jokes,but if he could tone that down a good bit he may just survive. However Chris Green has a huge cult following and Fergal has big boots to fill. Having said all that,if I hear of Bernard and Keith landing a big job with another station,I will be switching over, along with my fellow i105-107 listeners.

I see they've taken down the two respective websites and are re-directing to iradio.ie - which suggests you choose a station with links back to the two respective web sites. Bit of a fail. I presume they're redesigning and it won't take long... Means I can't find the stream to tune in, in the meantime though. Oh well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭vinnielo

Bard wrote: »
    Means I can't find the stream to tune in, in the meantime though. Oh well...
    http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/irish.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Brian OD

Still waiting for link that poster was saying he was on a different site were they found out. I can't find anything out

Strange people are not willing to give credit to where the story broke (and running for a week before it hit this place)

http://www.radiowavesforum.com/rw/

Brian OD wrote: »
    Strange people are not willing to give credit to where the story broke (and running for a week before it hit this place)

http://www.radiowavesforum.com/rw/

Hardly that surprising that it wasn't mentioned when the site is technically a 'competitor' of this one... although that said there's certainly no rule against mentioning it or linking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Glad to hear Chris Greene is back. Gave up listening to iTalk when he left. To be honest I'm not mad on any of the other presenters, any time I have i on it's only for the music. Whenever I want an actual radio show it's, Ray D'Arcy, Ray Foley or Off The Ball :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnjoebrady

the merger has now happened and it really sucks! loved i105 loved bernard and keith loved i play with hazel fleming now its all ggone breakfast has been replaced by a twat and iplay has been replaced by chris and ciara which can be funny if you listened to the third i for ages!

the radio station has gone to sh**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

delighted to hear chris greene back!
    a genuinely funny presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 9Elliexx9

Is iLife with Paul Gill on Sunday nights gone, does anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnjoebrady

9Elliexx9 wrote: »
    Is iLife with Paul Gill on Sunday nights gone, does anybody know?

he's still there! dont panic! haha

Bard wrote: »
    Hardly that surprising that it wasn't mentioned when the site is technically a 'competitor' of this one... although that said there's certainly no rule against mentioning it or linking to it.

Whereas linking here over there gets you sent a snotty PM, generally...

he's still there! dont panic! haha

no he's gone too. Sad, That wasn't a bad show

• Advertisement
Advertisement