Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7

Options
  • 28-06-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm toying with the idea to upgrading from Home Premium to Windows 7.

I'm not the most technically gifted person when it comes to such matters, so I'm looking for a little advice on the matter.

How straight forward is the process?

I've already backed up iTunes and other important documents and files, but is it necessary to uninstall wifi software and iTuens and the like.

I suppose I looking to hear the experiences of other before I go ahead and make the upgrade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

First of all, I wholeheartedly recommend Windows 7 over Vista.

I haven't done and upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, so I can't offer my personal experiences. However the Microsoft website has a guide that you can print out that'll help you through the upgrade process. More or less it seems pretty painless. But have a read through it and see what you think yourself. :)

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 - Microsoft

You won't need to uninstall drivers or software like iTunes. Backing up your personal and important documents is a good first step though! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I would hold off until you've tried the speed up tweaks untess there is some must have feature.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62403343&postcount=43 - from the sticky

also if you have less than 1GB of ram it's usually cheaper than a windows license

and if you upgrade an OEM (ie. preinstalled) copy of windows you can't move that license to another machine, ever.

and it's fair to say that no matter the OS if you have any problems then upgrading the OS will usually mean inheriting the problems.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I haven't tried a Vista > 7 in-place upgrade, but unless MS have completely overhauled the process in comparison to previous implementations, I'd take the hit and do a clean install instead. (As ever, back up data and make sure you've got installation media/software keys for any software you need to use once you've finished the new OS installation). You may not be able to activate your clean install at this point, but if you then do an in-place upgrade again, using the same media, you should be able to do so. I can't find the page right now but I'm pretty sure I've seen interviews with MS reps who mention that while they're not 100% happy about the double-install method, their main concern is that upgrade installs are used only by those who qualify for them.

My past experience of upgrade installs (both from 2k > XP and from XP > Vista) is that even if things run well to begin with, after about 6 months the wheels fall off and you pretty much have to start again. Not worth the hassle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I upgraded from 64 bit vista to 7 last Christmas no problems so far.(Quad core,8 gb ram)

Advertisement