Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

max of 47bhp??

• 28-06-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

i heard a rumour about bikes being limited to 47bhp but idk if true...

anyone heard anything like that?

i think spain have summet and it might be coming to the UK in 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

There is a consultation document regarding licences and as far as I am aware they might bring in an A2 class which will be limited to 35kw.
    You can read it all here

Consultation on Changes to DL System.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/files/consultation/2_3_wheelers/results_report_en.pdf

Five of the eleven Public Authority respondents were in favour versus four which were not in favour of a mandatory power restriction. The great majority of the respondents who were against giving Member States the option of limiting the maximum power of motorcycles to 74 kW argued that there is no scientific evidence to support the linkage between high speed and accident risks .The respondents in favour referred to generic traffic safety considerations or to the liberty for Member States to limit engine power on a national basis. A number of alternative solutions and its support were shown in the next figure.

Might as well point out this is for a 100bhp limit on bikes which every country can do and which France is the only one to enact it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

so they want to restrict motorcycles to 100bhp maximum, and yet theres 19 year olds driving around on provisional licenses in 700 bhp toyota supras or nissan skylines..

copeyhagen wrote: »
    so they want to restrict motorcycles to 100bhp maximum, and yet theres 19 year olds driving around on provisional licenses in 700 bhp toyota supras or nissan skylines..

Incorrect. They can restrict motorcycles to 100bhp maximum(EU states) and France has. Other states cited no causal link to top limit power restriction and decreased crash risk and voted against the possibility of enforcing it across all EU member states, obviously using Frances stats on crashes. Others voted for it. Most were in favor of other measures. It would seem from the other link that they are moving towards staggered power ranges through the ages of 16-24 due to quite high crash statistics. And tbh, they are quite high. To manage over 50% of deaths within a age range and be less then 10% of the drivers is pretty damming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Roadskill wrote: »
    There is a consultation document regarding licences and as far as I am aware they might bring in an A2 class which will be limited to 35kw.
    You can read it all here

Consultation on Changes to DL System.pdf

I can't quote from the .pdf, but on page 8 there's the proof that they don't have a clue.

Now not only are they claiming that powerful bikes are dangerous, there's never been any study linking power to crashes. But heavy bikes are dangerous also for under 24 and that "downtuning" a bike to 25kw isn't safe.

So a bike which is naturally 35kw, or 70kw which is the proposed new limit for restrict-able bikes, is safer then a 100kw bike restricted to 35kw bike:confused: So a 300kg+ Harley restricted from 70kw(do they even go that high?:p) to 35kw is safer then a 200kg Bandit restricted from 80kw

Can they make up their mind. Is it power that's dangerous or weight? Will they bring in laws now that you need to be a certain weight before you can ride an AM class bike, then you need to gain 20kg before you can ride A1, etc till 130kg for an A.

Why is there no mention of a persons height? Surely this is a bigger safety factor the the weight of a bike.

Perhaps if they'd bothered to enforce the licence laws they would have found out that the vast majority of people who crashed weren't riding bikes that they where licenced for.

/Rant over

• Advertisement

To manage over 50% of deaths within a age range and be less then 10% of the drivers is pretty damming.

While every death is terrible you are incorrect.

From the RSA's own site 38% of deaths are under 25. If 50% of dead motorcyclists are under 24 then with our much lower numbers we are matched to the national average.

If you look at the .pdf for years 2008 and 2009 on tables 31 and 32 you'll see that motorcyclist are roughly matched to cars.

But the biggest and most important statistic that they don't have in any of these statistics is who/what caused the RTI which lead to the death. A lot of motorbike crashes are caused by car drivers inattention, yet we are the ones who suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Be funny if they did restrict them. I'd never sell me Gixxer then.

Del2005 wrote: »
    While every death is terrible you are incorrect.

From the RSA's own site 38% of deaths are under 25. If 50% of dead motorcyclists are under 24 then with our much lower numbers we are matched to the national average.

If you look at the .pdf for years 2008 and 2009 on tables 31 and 32 you'll see that motorcyclist are roughly matched to cars.

But the biggest and most important statistic that they don't have in any of these statistics is who/what caused the RTI which lead to the death. A lot of motorbike crashes are caused by car drivers inattention, yet we are the ones who suffer.

2009 shows roughly a 19% death rate for males on motorcycles but motorcycles account for less than 2% of the driving population. That's nine and a half times more likely to be killed. I quoted stats I read off a RSA pdf, but its still a ridiculous figure. And per kilometre driven, 21 times more likely to die.

I will say its interesting how the deaths are in the upper 20's to 40's. Would be interesting to see why the deaths are occurring so much later on.

Statistics can be made to say whether you want. The most important statistic is the who caused the RTI
    which lead to the death and that's not reported.

Born again bikers getting back on bikes years after they last rode, an RD350 or some oil leaking British machine, with no retraining.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭slapper2

Del2005 wrote: »
    Statistics can be made to say whether you want. The most important statistic is the who caused the RTI
    which lead to the death and that's not reported.

Born again bikers getting back on bikes years after they last rode, an RD350 or some oil leaking British machine, with no retraining.

and they attitude that they can drive and why ahould they need triaining of any form

morans if you ask me
    you are never to old to learn new skills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

seanybiker wrote: »
    Be funny if they did restrict them. I'd never sell me Gixxer then.

was just thinking that - they would probably come up with a requirement to retrospectively fit them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

slapper2 wrote: »
    morans if you ask me
    you are never to old to learn new skills
    Apologies, seeing that makes me think of this:
    morans-600x450.jpg

Advertisement