Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanora Taste Test..

Options
  • 28-06-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Please try do this taste test. Get back the yummy Tanora!:D

[HTML][/HTML]Shoppers to vote on drink with proud rebel history

By Catherine Shanahan - Tuesday, June 28, 2011

NOT quite iconic but definitely a staple at the Christmas table of every self-respecting Cork family, Tanora, as we knew it, is set for a re-appearance.

The tangerine-flavoured fizzy drink owned by Coca Cola but sold only in the Rebel County, had a recent taste change that proved unpalatable among seasoned drinkers.

The carbonated drink that legions of Rebel youngsters associate with being sick (only because the mammy boiled it to keep the ill and infirm hydrated) recently had its formula altered, for reasons unknown to anyone but the manufacturer.

However, now that fans have rejected the new product, Coca Cola has been forced to re-think its strategy and has launched a "taste test", the results of which will inform Tanora’s future flavour.

Yesterday, a vote opened on the Tanora Facebook page (facebook.com/TanoraACorkLegend) where Tanora’s loyal followers have been invited to cast their vote for either the original or new formulation.

The Tanora Ultimate Taste Test will also be facilitated in 80 convenience and petro-retail outlets as well as supermarkets in Cork city and county, where ballot boxes will be located across Centra, Costcutter, Gala, Dunnes, Tesco, Londis, Mace, Spar, Topaz, Day Today, Mace Maxol, Statoil and Supervalu stores from July 4.

Voting will close on July 31 and all in-store and online votes will be counted with the results announced via Facebook in August.

If the drinkers of Tanora rubberstamp the original recipe, it will be reintroduced to Cork shelves and shoppers at the end of August, marking another victory for the Rebel County.

The message for Tanora’s multinational manufacturers is that the citizens of Cork have a very refined taste that is resistant to change, especially without consultation (or unless there’s something in it for them). As the saying goes, "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it" and this is especially true for a drink with a proud rebel history.
    [HTML][/HTML]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Wasn't it altered due to it containing some dangerous E numbers and the like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Never knew Tanora was a cork-only thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

sok2005 wrote: »

Supposedly, but if they are willing to bring it back, its obviously not. Id say it was a cost thing myself. But it has cost them a lot more in the long run. Ha Im delighted.
    Needler wrote: »
    Never knew Tanora was a cork-only thing
    Poor you, :rolleyes::D Of course it is, we have the nicest things.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

had some a few weeks back and thought it was tastless:(

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Supposedly, but if they are willing to bring it back, its obviously not. Id say it was a cost thing myself. But it has cost them a lot more in the long run. Ha Im delighted.

Me too! I love the original Tanora! Great news, once it doesn't kill me or my family!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I heard they ran out of tangerines and had to use mandarins instead.

It should be called Manora now, really.

Needler wrote: »
    Which ones?

On further investigation it was a colouring, quinoline yellow I think that was removed and changed the taste!

On further investigation it was a colouring, quinoline yellow I think that was removed and changed the taste!

Really! I cant imagine how a colouring could change it to taste like yuck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

It's not just sold in Cork though..?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I used to work for Coca-Cola in Cork city. Sometimes during the summer they would cut back on Tanora production in order to concentrate on the bigger brands. The people of Cork didn't like it when the Tanora shelves in the supermarkets were empty. The complaints were neverending :D

I tasted the new Tanora recently and it tastes awful. I'm not surprised they're bringing back the old recipe. I bet sales have probably fallen since they introduced the new stuff.

nermal15 wrote: »
    It's not just sold in Cork though..?
    Where else is it sold?
    I used to work for Coca-Cola in Cork city. Sometimes during the summer they would cut back on Tanora production in order to concentrate on the bigger brands. The people of Cork didn't like it when the Tanora shelves in the supermarkets were empty. The complaints were neverending :D

I tasted the new Tanora recently and it tastes awful. I'm not surprised they're bringing back the old recipe. I bet sales have probably fallen since they introduced the new stuff.

I can imagine the complaints alright! I love the stuff. Nothing better on a summers day.
    That is my opinion too on the sales. Unless it was a marketing ploy..

Really! I cant imagine how a colouring could change it to taste like yuck!

I know, scary stuff! There is a huge difference in the taste! The new stuff tastes like sugared fizzy water tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I did have a bottle recently that I thought tasted manky, but I put it down to my hangover affecting my taste buds. Must have actually been the new recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Lads has everyone become extra naive in the last few weeks.

I'm not going to accuse the OP of working for a marketing company, and I've no idea who Catherine Shanahan is, but that post reads like a press release

I can't remember the last time I even looked at Tanora on the shelves and I'd say it's the same for a lot of people.
    But in the last few hours I've had requests to like the official page from friends on facebook and vote for the original ( can't be bothered though)

They're not really going to stick to the new flavor,
    It's just an excellent marketing ploy to get the product back into peoples heads by threatning to take it away or change it forever

* Then again maybe I'm wrong and once the people have spoke we can all 'mark another victory for the Rebel County' by bathing in it in the fountain outside the peace park :rolleyes:

Yes I copied that, from a link I was mailed. I have nothing to do with tanora or coca cola, only that I buy the thing!
    The reason you are getting the requests is that it was launched today, And it has been on the radio.

If you are not interested then don't bother voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I've no idea who Catherine Shanahan is, but that post reads like a press release

Journalist, Irish Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Lads has everyone become extra naive in the last few weeks.

I'm not going to accuse the OP of working for a marketing company, and I've no idea who Catherine Shanahan is, but that post reads like a press release

I can't remember the last time I even looked at Tanora on the shelves and I'd say it's the same for a lot of people.
    But in the last few hours I've had requests to like the official page from friends on facebook and vote for the original ( can't be bothered though)

They're not really going to stick to the new flavor,
    It's just an excellent marketing ploy to get the product back into peoples heads by threatning to take it away or change it forever

* Then again maybe I'm wrong and once the people have spoke we can all 'mark another victory for the Rebel County' by bathing in it in the fountain outside the peace park :rolleyes:

After the disastrous launch of New Coke back in the 1980's Coca Cola were accused of it all being a massive publicity stunt. The CEO of Coca Cola at the time said "We're not that clever and we're not that stupid".
    I doubt that this Tanora thing is some kind of marketing ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Yes!! Definitely gonna vote on this!

I actually have a stockpile of the original stuff at home, went panic buying as soon as I heard about the change, such is my love for this drink :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Can we bring back Sunkist too? Now that was a drink, caffeinated fanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Rule no1 with tanora is never drink it from the bottle, cans are much nicer bottle actually tastes more like red lemonade than tanora.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I don't understand what the fuss with Tanora is. It tastes of nothing. Just like watery Fanta. If it was actually tasty i could understand, but it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

For some reason the new stuff reminds me of childrens medicine, Calpol or something. Either way it doesn't just taste different, it tastes terrible. If this was a new stand alone drink, it would die a quick death...

Anyway, say some original (best) Tanora in Dunnes the other day, so natualy I bought 3 bottles of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Terry Lingwood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrmOt8dObf0
    Please try do this taste test. Get back the yummy Tanora!:D

[HTML][/HTML]Shoppers to vote on drink with proud rebel history

By Catherine Shanahan - Tuesday, June 28, 2011

NOT quite iconic but definitely a staple at the Christmas table of every self-respecting Cork family, Tanora, as we knew it, is set for a re-appearance.

The tangerine-flavoured fizzy drink owned by Coca Cola but sold only in the Rebel County, had a recent taste change that proved unpalatable among seasoned drinkers.

The carbonated drink that legions of Rebel youngsters associate with being sick (only because the mammy boiled it to keep the ill and infirm hydrated) recently had its formula altered, for reasons unknown to anyone but the manufacturer.

However, now that fans have rejected the new product, Coca Cola has been forced to re-think its strategy and has launched a "taste test", the results of which will inform Tanora’s future flavour.

Yesterday, a vote opened on the Tanora Facebook page (facebook.com/TanoraACorkLegend) where Tanora’s loyal followers have been invited to cast their vote for either the original or new formulation.

The Tanora Ultimate Taste Test will also be facilitated in 80 convenience and petro-retail outlets as well as supermarkets in Cork city and county, where ballot boxes will be located across Centra, Costcutter, Gala, Dunnes, Tesco, Londis, Mace, Spar, Topaz, Day Today, Mace Maxol, Statoil and Supervalu stores from July 4.

Voting will close on July 31 and all in-store and online votes will be counted with the results announced via Facebook in August.

If the drinkers of Tanora rubberstamp the original recipe, it will be reintroduced to Cork shelves and shoppers at the end of August, marking another victory for the Rebel County.

The message for Tanora’s multinational manufacturers is that the citizens of Cork have a very refined taste that is resistant to change, especially without consultation (or unless there’s something in it for them). As the saying goes, "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it" and this is especially true for a drink with a proud rebel history.
    [HTML][/HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Where else is it sold?

Bought it in Waterford several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I've got it Kerry and Tipp too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Used to be able to buy it in Dublin years ago. I'm gonna get a Football special, a blaa, some gur cake, some yellow man, and some Tanora and I'll be a happy man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The new taste ( and design logo) are crap. When I first tasted the new one ( I didn't know at the time it was new) I actually thought the bottle was gone off as the taste was so different and not in a good way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

The tangerine-flavoured fizzy drink owned by Coca Cola but sold only in the Rebel Coun

murphym7 wrote: »
    I've got it Kerry and Tipp too.

i've even bought it in kilkenny ;)

Advertisement