Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of payment proof of licence?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hey, my .223 licence just came through (after 6 and a bit weeks, not bad!) but my local dealer isn't open today. I was wondering if proof that I have actually paid the €80 to the post office would do to collect my rifle or do I have to wait for the actual card to arrive in the post?

Thanks!!

(and yes, I am very impatient :P )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

That will depend on your dealer, some will, some won't. I'd wait until you get the license to be fully legal and above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You waited six and a half weeks for the licence; the two or three days to receive the card itself won't kill you now. And no, the grant letter won't suffice as proof of licensing. I certainly wouldn't like to be caught with a rifle and just the grant letter, personally. How many Gardai are likely to understand that it means you have a licence when you don't actually have it in your pocket? Just wait, would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

You should have it before the week is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

wasn't a prob for me. I collected my 2 guns with just the grant letter. The dealer said it was ok because the cert number was on it

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

when you pay for it you should get a reciept in the post office. their is a cert number on the grant letter. and it will state ur name and cert number on the reciept. so the dealer should take it. my 2 local dealers have taken them from me like that. happy shooting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Nice one, wasn't sure if it would count.

I understand what ye mean about not wanting to get pulled without the actual card physically on your person but my dealer has erratic opening hours and I'm off all this week.

Ill be headn down to him in the morning I guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Contests. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

The grant letter should do you. I picked up a couple of rifles with the letter alone.

Well wear and happy hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

When the change over happened from the Old System to the new, all I had was grant letters for all my toys.

Receipt of payment from the Post office is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Picked up my shotgun last Friday with a grant letter from dealer.

Grant letter arrived Friday, licence arrived today. Two working days later so its not long to wait if you need to.

Heh, Poulo when I am able to shoot it without embarrassing myself I'll give you a shout :)

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Arcto wrote: »
    Heh, Poulo when I am able to shoot it without embarrassing myself I'll give you a shout :)

Thanks!

We are all learning all the time. So don't be shy if you want some company for a bit of target practice.
    Those fields of silage might be cut by now so we will be able to see what we are shooting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

............Receipt of payment from the Post office is all you need.

It is if the dealer agrees it is. If he doesn't you'll have to wait.

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

my first .22 i went with the receipt and they wouldnt give it to me. when i got my shot gun i collected it with my receipt so really depends on the dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

........... so really depends on the dealer

Exactly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

i have got my gun and a friend did also with the proof of payment at the post office

Picked mine up with just the post office form and receipt Wednesday. Licence came Friday, with a magical S on it :D

Cheers for the info again guys, as usual spot on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Arcto wrote: »
    Picked mine up with just the post office form and receipt Wednesday. Licence came Friday, with a magical S on it :D

Cheers for the info again guys, as usual spot on :)

Happy Hunting :D

Advertisement