Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Paste going off?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've all my bits assembled for my next build but I, of course, forgot something: thermal paste.

Now I have the stock CM stuff that came with the Hyper 212+ and in addition I have old (2-3 year) tubes of Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Cooling MX-1.

I plan to overclock my cpu (i5 2500k) so am wondering does anyone here have thoughts on:
    1. The quality of the stock paste that came with the Hyper 212+
    2. Whether the other pastes I have would have gone off?
    3. Any problems in using and old gen paste like MX-1?

I'd be interested to see what you guys n' gals think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think it would take longer than that to go off. The main worry would be that it would solidify in the tubes.

I wouldn't worry about any of the choices - you'd probably see only a couple of degrees between all three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

I think when it goes off it solidifies yeah.
    I think it only usually happens when it has been exposed to a lot of heat for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

cheers, lads, I was gonna order some mx-4 or pick up some mx-3 in PC world but i may hold off on that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

You should pick up some IC7 Diamond.

Other than exotic full metal solutions, IC7 is pretty much the best you can do, it can make 4 or 5 degrees difference, which for overclocking can mean a massive amount.

http://innovationcooling.com/thermal.htm

I personally get mine of eBay (I won't link as I don't want to be accused of Shilling as I have been in the past D: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddylieback

Thermal pads are available too, i have a bit at work, leme know if you need some, i'll send it to you

cheers

Rich

• Advertisement
Advertisement