Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mastodon song (and video!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

This augmented reality thingy that comes with the special edition just seems to be messing around with a webcam and putting yourself into the album artwork. Other than that, there doesn't seem like much else to the special edition to justify paying close to €50 on it.

I see that Play have a CD/DVD special edition for €11.49, which is a good price and the DVD is the only thing that I want from the special edition.

Anyone know if I pre-order the CD will it arrive on the day that the CD is actually released or do I have to wait the normal delivery time and then have it a couple of days after?

I know, the CD won't be released for another month, just curious...

I'd say it'll be a few days after. It'll be sent the day of release. The only CD I ever pre-ordered was Grinderman 2 and it was 2 weeks late so I don't really know. :P

I really like Curl of the Burl. I this album will be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

The first released song was great. Curl the burl is bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

The first released song was great. Curl the burl is bollocks.

It's totally out of whack for Mastodon alright, seems they're trying to get some air play with more radio friendly songs.
    Can't blame them for trying to make money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

What a band.

I like curl of the burl. Completely different and more straightforward than their other songs but good all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Another new song off the album and it's a shit kicker. This is shaping up to be one hell of an album. And with Scott Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Great song alright, I listened to it earlier.
    Gonna be an epic album, to be expected from Mastodon

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

I can't wait for this album now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Album has leaked, is deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

The full album for your listening pleasure.

• Advertisement

I will resist this. Not gonna listen till the CD is happily spinning in my hi-fi on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

There are a few "meh" tracks on there but it's mostly rockin'. Much better than Crack (of) the Ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

Big change for Mastodon, but luckily they pulled it off. There's a few hateful comments floating around online, but give it a month and everyone will love this album, that's the magic of Mastodon for ya.

Big change for Mastodon, but luckily they pulled it off. There's a few hateful comments floating around online, but give it a month and everyone will love this album, that's the magic of Mastodon for ya.

Well I still hate Crack the Skye so that theory goes out the window. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

chin_grin wrote: »
    Well I still hate Crack the Skye so that theory goes out the window. :pac:

FOOL! :P

As expected this album has met my expectations in every way and will take many listens to compare it to the others, it continues in the same proggy aspect as CtS but clearly sounds quite different. My god I f*cking love Mastodon.

Standout track for me so far is "Creature Lives", love Brann's vocals on it but seems to be one that's either going to be loved or hated! The whole album is amazing so far though!

FOOL! :P

As expected this album has met my expectations in every way and will take many listens to compare it to the others, it continues in the same proggy aspect as CtS but clearly sounds quite different. My god I f*cking love Mastodon.

:(

I did try to get in to it (gave it a few listens), but they were getting a little too proggy for me.

There are a few rocking tracks on their latest but mostly it's pretentious twiddly w*nk. Aw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I've only listened to "Curl Of The Burl" so far (don't want to "acquire" the album yet until I can get a physical copy) but I'm liking it. It's pretty different, but not in a bad way I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Mastadon are the pinnacle of metal as far as I'm concerned and the new album does not disappoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I was worried about this but I love it. They've gone a different direction but they've really mastered those clean vocals and each song is concise and well written. Love it.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Mastadon are the pinnacle of their genre of metal as far as I'm concerned and the new album does not disappoint

Sorry for being pedantic, but FYP. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I downloaded the leaked copy of this BAD BASTARD of an album three days ago.

By jaysus these fookers know how to write an album. It's not the sheer craziness of the Mastodon I know and love but it's still savage.

That said, I doubt the lads can pull the majority of it off live. Singings never been their strongpoint.

Video for Curl of the Burl:

*robot voice* beware of the Birchmen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Don't get me wrong, that's a great song and a very entertaining video but I'm confused. I started listening to Mastodon last week - got Blood Mountain, impressed; But it wasn't what I expected - I'd only heard Colony of Birchmen and I was expecting something a little less Prog Metal and more Stoner Rock. Basically, like the song in the post above. So at what point between 2006 and now did they become the Sons of Sons of Kyuss?

Edit : Must learn to read the whole thread before posting.... Just listened to Spectrelight - hooray, they haven't changed a bit :) Nice to see they've built the confidence to make the vocals audible over the music

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I wasnt really impressed with black tongue so I was kind of expecting the album to be a bit meh, but theres some brilliant songs on there. Blasteroid and Octopus Has No Friends are probally my two favourites. Its wouldnt be their best album, but its good to see them changing it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

With this album, pretty much. Best bet is to start with maybe Leviathan (which has more extreme metal bits and is a cracking record) and work your way forward. Blood Mountain is actually the worse of the last 4 records IMO.

Richy06 wrote: »
    With this album, pretty much. Best bet is to start with maybe Leviathan (which has more extreme metal bits and is a cracking record) and work your way forward. Blood Mountain is actually the worse of the last 4 records IMO.

Blasphemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Wow this is really great. You kind of expect them to make a false move before each album as they are always trying something new. The drums are excellent and the fills are slightly more subtle than usual.

I played the last few albums to death in the car so I'd imagine this will be the same.

They need to come back next year, would be interesting to see if they would
    fill the Olympia. They were great in vicar street.

The songs almost feel short which might be a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I seriously love this album. It just grabbed me from the first listen, unlike Crack the Skye which I had to let grow on me over time. Favourite track so far is Spectrelight.

I wish they'd thrown in Deathbound as a bonus track. Does anybody know if it was made available as a single, or just streamed on Adult Swim?

Advertisement