Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography or history as an arts subject?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Which is a better choice, just about to recheck the CAO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Geography by miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Personally I've found that while geography is easier to do well in, history is more useful in the long run, and also more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Take a look at the relevant schools' websites, see what areas are covered in each year, and then make up your mind. Doing what you like best is also a good idea, because at least then you will be less likely to absolutely hate what you're studying. The worst thing you can do is choose a subject because somebody told you it's easier, or better, etc. The number of people I know who did this and regret it is unbelieveable.

Sefirah wrote: »
    Personally I've found that while geography is easier to do well in, history is more useful in the long run, and also more interesting.

How is Geography less useful than History? Geography covers a wide breath of studies and inherently everything has a spatial aspect to it. You're able to chop and change between human and physical aspects, and in some cases integrate the two. No other subject can give you that option to switch between physical sciences and human sciences so easily. If you think Geography isn't interesting, then you must not be paying attention to climate change, a fairly important topic now in fairness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

I just feel that history gives one more advantages in the workplace, in terms of research and writing skills, whereas geography doesn't so much.

• Advertisement

Sefirah wrote: »
    I just feel that history gives one more advantages in the workplace, in terms of research and writing skills, whereas geography doesn't so much.

That's right, because GIS, statistics, report writing etc... are useless skills that geography offers. However, the best thing about geography isn't even the skills it endows, it's that whether you're a physical or human geographer fieldwork is absolutely paramount. Something that history doesn't offer. Oh and as research and writing skills go, I'm doing a PhD in sedimentology, research is research regardless of discipline, in my case with the added benefit of lab work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sedimentology...fun fun

AdamD wrote: »
    Sedimentology...fun fun

It is indeed, got a free trip to India out of it.;)

Advertisement