Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Feature

• 28-06-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I want to run a quick idea by you guys, like most people I have a bowl I fill with water for my dog which regularly needs refilling. Today I was walking through Woodies when I saw water features and I got the idea of maybe getting one of them for my fella to drink out of as he would have a constant flow of water. Is there any down side to this idea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im not so sure. Is it fresh water all the time in it or recycled water going around it all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

im not 100 percent certain i didnt look into them too much was just an idea i had, i would have thought that as the water gets drank would the feature not replenish itself whether by rainfall or a connected hose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt be happy using that as my dogs water supply. The dog wouldnt be drinking enough to be replacing it all so the water wouldnt be replaced fresh often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Im fairly sure u can get products specifically designed for this, cant for the life of me remember where but I saw one that uses rainwater and some kind of filter. Probably expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They have fountains on zooplus etc that hold a few litres of water so you're not refliing all the time http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_bowls_feeders/dog_feeders

• Advertisement

thanks for the suggestions i must have a look at the fountains on zooplus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I got a drinkwell fountain off zooplus for my cat, relatively quiet and you get used to the hum off it. I got it when it was on offer so not too expensive either. I presumed it needed filters (they say they have to be changed every month) so bought an extra pack of filters but when I read through the booklet it says the filters aren't necessary just an added thing so no real ongoing costs as such.

You have a newfie don't you? If you were to buy any pet fountain I'd say definitely buy the extra water container as with a newfie I would imagine he'd go through water quick and if it runs out of water the motor will burn out. And have a look at the size of the bowls that the water runs into, would your fella be happy with sticking his head into a small space to drink or does he prefer big deep bowls? They obviously can't be put outside either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

All of the water features need regular topping up as do most fountains etc. Some deluxe ones have a circulation pump & filter but it still the same old stale water going round & round.

You can buy or make a small trough with a ball valve at one end so that it refills itself but water bowls get food fragments, algae, insects, dirt etc in them so they need regular cleaning.

My favourite water bowls are made by taking a big rectangular plastic food container with a snap on lid. I then cut out the centre section of the lid leaving a wide lip which prevent spillage if the bowl is knocked. I have two & every couple of days I swap them & pop the bowl in the dishwasher.
    They hold far more water than a typical bowl & are unbreakable.

yea my guys a newfie, the size of the bowl would not bother him in the slightest he would try and stick his gob into anything to get a drink at times, ideally i would want one that can go outside cause he makes an awful mess of the place when he drinks with water running EVERYWHERE, I flick through zooplus and see have they any to suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

yea my guys a newfie, the size of the bowl would not bother him in the slightest he would try and stick his gob into anything to get a drink at times, ideally i would want one that can go outside cause he makes an awful mess of the place when he drinks with water running EVERYWHERE, I flick through zooplus and see have they any to suit

Please see my Newfie puppy thread if you know of a good source.

• Advertisement
Advertisement