Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about cats in apartment complex

• 28-06-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hello all,

I’m looking for some advice on how to handle a situation in our apartment complex, it’s a bit complicated so I’ll try to sum it up neatly and respond to any questions…

We live in a rather residential apartment complex that still has around ½ owner occupiers, many have been there 5+ years now.

Over that time, some owners have adopted cats, some live indoors and others (as some apartments have own door access) have indoor/outdoor cats. And although in our lease it states that pets are at the discretion of the Management Agent or Company – not sure the exact one, there have been no problems until recently.

One of the owners who lives in an upper floor apartment, without own door – access is by communal lift or staircase as with most apartments – has adopted two cats which she states are outdoor only.

One of the cats is quite small and cries around the complex regularly for food the other is a really lovely cat who has been hanging around the other side of the complex, entering into people’s apartments by their balconies and sleeping outside doors. He is now getting fed somewhat regularly by another resident and pretty much lives inside this area but seems really desperate to belong somewhere/to someone.

The problem has arisen that the managements agent is now receiving complaints about the cats in the development, getting in the bins, entering people’s apartments and defecating in the communal areas – including the staircases and lifts. And because of this the agent is threatening a crackdown on the number of cats and implementing a ban, much to the worry of the other cat owners. I know that cat’s will be cats however the complaints have only started since these cats have been introduced and would be most problematic of the ones living there.

A call was made to the owner of these two cats last evening (one of the cats has the mobile number on their collar) who stated that they were theirs, that they did not come to their apartment (at night, to be fed or otherwise) and that although they haven’t seen the one living up at our end for over three weeks there was no concern and that people should not be letting him into their apartments.

I don’t understand how someone can be an owner of a cat that they don’t see, feed or care for?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this situation, we are worried as this is jeopardizing the cats that are being cared for in the development.

Thanks, addob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

If the cats are not being fed by the owner I think I woul remove them from the situation and contact the dspca. It's not fair on the cats nor the other residents and will eventually result in a no pet policy for all which would be unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

As an apartment owner (1st floor) and cat owner (2) i cant believe how inconsiderate your neighbour is being to be honest. Most of my neighbours are very tolerant of my 2 cats and i make sure they cause as little nuisance as possible.If they did complain id do my very best to amend what i could. Living in an apartment you have to be alot more considerate of your neighbours compared to a housing estate i think.

If i was told that i would be jeopardising other cat owners in the area id be mortified and rectifying it immediately, either by keeping them in more or rehoming them. I also dont understand whey they'd collar and tag the cat and let it roam around outside all day in an apartment complex by itself. Mine get out for a few hours in the evening and are kept in overnight and during the day until i get home again the following evening. I wouldnt dream of leaving them outside 24/7!

It doesnt sound like they've copped the severity of the situation at all, so i think a letter from the Mgt Co. outlining that these animals are being a nuisance and will be caught and rehomed if more care is not taken. Not everyone are cat lovers so she's lucky someone hasnt actually attempted to do something injurious to them by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

I notice the owner says they are outdoor cats only, that sounds like they're used to wandering around. I think it's a case of house training them, and the owner really should take proper responsibility of them and keep them in their own apartment. They seem to care enough about them to have put their number on the collar of at least one of the cats, I don't see why they wouldn't be happy to keep the cats in their apartment. Though it is odd that they said they hadn't seen one in over three weeks. Maybe the owner doesn't realise the extent of the problems the cats are causing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

How can someone have a pet that they don't see for 3 weeks, what's the point in even having a pet if that's the way your going to do things? :confused: Has this person even been leaving food and water out for the cats or have they provided anything in the lines of shelter for them? Tbh I would say if these cats were to 'disappear' would they even miss them? They sound like lovely cats and all they need is an actual home which obviously they are not getting now. Have you ever seen any evidence of this person actually spending any time with these cats?

Just to clarify that by 'disappear' I mean they are caught and given to someone who will actually care for them. There are all sorts of evil people out there who have a serious dislike of cats who would have no problem with laying poison, shooting them or maliciously hurting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Zapperzy wrote: »
    There are all sorts of evil people out there who have a serious dislike of cats who would have no problem with laying poison, shooting them or maliciously hurting them.
    +1

Zapperzy i totally agree! Its very different if you live in the country or even a suburban housing estate, where its "generally" tolerated to have your cat roaming around all day. An apartment complex is VERY different. Believe me i know!

What ive learned regarding dogs....people are lovers,haters or toleraters. With cats its either lover or hater!! The haters...really HATE and consider them vermin. Ive ended up in a row with a "country" friend of mine who agreed with her father putting out poison laced sausages to kill stray cats. :eek::confused:

OP, as an apartment dweller i would honestly appreciate if my neighbours told me their concerns (which you have done in fairness). Within reason (if i think its not overdramatisation) i would do my utmost to make sure everyone (incl the cats) were happy.

If this person has gone to the effort of collaring/tagging the cat(s) then i honestly dont believe she understands the severity of the situation at all yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

addob wrote: »
    Hello all,
    (one of the cats has the mobile number on their collar)
    cellphone_cat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

addob wrote: »
    has adopted two cats which she states are outdoor only.

:confused: So feral cats then? :p I know some cats like to explore etc but outdoor only? :\

If owners told they have not seen their cat in three weeks then to me, they clearly just do not care much about them. It's all fun adopting cats until you have to actually pay for them to some people.

"Ohh look, a free cat. yay. Ohh wait... nobody said I have to buy this thing food, vet care etc.."

Personally I would give the DSPCA a ring and tell them the situation. They will advise you on the best course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

naughty-memes-untitled25.jpg

Advertisement