Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 31/10/2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey tinguska how's the animal looking at the moment, is he going to do sth incredible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Woddle wrote: »
    Hey tinguska how's the animal looking at the moment, is he going to do sth incredible?

He's in great shape and gonna run an incredible marathon. Seriously a lot of people are gonna be shocked. Top bloke, he was more upset about my injury than me yesterday. If there was ever a man you'd want at your side going into battle its him.

He's a super bloke, can't wait to see him powering up Milltown next week with that I'm giving it fcuking everything type grin he wears well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

This is going to be my first marathon and I'm now dreading it. I sprained my ankle two weeks ago and I'm still in a lot of pain.

Whatever happens I'll be crossing the finish line. That's all I'm aiming for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    ergonomics wrote: »
    This is going to be my first marathon and I'm now dreading it. I sprained my ankle two weeks ago and I'm still in a lot of pain.

Whatever happens I'll be crossing the finish line. That's all I'm aiming for now!

I have a client who ran DCM for the first time last year, as I did. He pushed on with a knee injury and spent 6 months on crutches. There'll be other marathons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I have a client who ran DCM for the first time last year, as I did. He pushed on with a knee injury and spent 6 months on crutches. There'll be other marathons!

Thanks for the advice! I've spoken to my physio and to my doctor and they've given me the go ahead. I have another physio appointment on Thursday too to make sure I'm definitely ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slaphead_

Anyone know if there are shower facilities on the day? I'm living in West Dublin but plan to stick around for a bit of food and a few drinks with friends after the race but don't want to go home to have a shower and then come back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Slaphead_ wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are shower facilities on the day? I'm living in West Dublin but plan to stick around for a bit of food and a few drinks with friends after the race but don't want to go home to have a shower and then come back in.
    If the weather's like today, then there will be. Otherwise, not so much..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

3 stars (average)
    Ive watched that video i dunno how many times at this stage...

what i find funny is that the guy is on a motor bike and the video is in fast forward and it still takes them ages to get around!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Could be out of the game lads, strained my calve muscle this morning in what was to be the final session of the plan. Gutted. Florence marathon is looking likely now.

Not looking good for me either. Got a hamstring strain last week and haven’t run in 4 days. Touch and go if I’ll make it. Really peed of as I followed my program religiously and my girlfriend is doing it too.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

This time next week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

3 stars (average)
    Dundalk wrote: »
    This time next week.....

Can't wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    and here's a long-term (=worthless) weather forecast for you
    Some rain, no wind, not too cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

Totally agree. I haven't been able to run for the last 8 days due to a strained hamstring and if I can't run this day next week then I don't want a longer term issue trying to push it.
    I'd prefer to miss this one than miss training and racing for the next few months trying to fix what I made worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And from Yahoo, here is the forecast: http://uk.weather.com/weather/dailyDetails-Dublin-EIXX0014?dayNum=7

Basically it says dry and and a winds from the west at 31 kmph.
    20% chance of a shower!!

How many times will this change???

Just hope we dont get last nights weather!

3 stars (average)
    Weather like this morning would be perfect, flat calm and dry.

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    and here's a long-term (=worthless) weather forecast for you
    Some rain, no wind, not too cold
    That one's perfect. No wind from 6am-12pm, at which point you get a nice 8 m/s pushing everyone from UCD all the way back into town to the finish line. Let's stick with this one. :)

Just notice there is no bus from lucan till 905 on monday of the race.

They run using Sunday timetable!!!

Have to find another way in

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

3 stars (average)
    i'm drivin up from down the country and was planning on parking along the custom house keys near Jurys Inn. Would this be a good spot, i plan on being there for around 8:30 so i hope to miss traffic restrictions but i'm abit worried all the spaces will be gone. Is thios a good spot? alot of the car parks don't open till 10am

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    what about the red cow park and ride ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    Just notice there is no bus from lucan till 905 on monday of the race.

They run using Sunday timetable!!!

Have to find another way in

There's a 151 at 7.30am. Not from lucan village but from Ballyowen rd.

There's also one at 8am and 8:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

3 stars (average)
    i would prefer to drive in rather than using the park and ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Will Hi5 be selling gels at the expo?

4 stars (good)
    itsalltrue wrote: »
    i would prefer to drive in rather than using the park and ride

Are you planning to drive out again too? That could be tough.

average_runner, have you checked the trains?

4 stars (good)
    Expo website

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Are you planning to drive out again too? That could be tough.

average_runner, have you checked the trains?

Trains only go as far as heuston, 151 is a much better option as it brings him close to the start line. (ok, st patrick's cathedral, but about a 15 minute walk away).

menoscemo wrote: »
    There's a 151 at 7.30am. Not from lucan village but from Ballyowen rd.

There's also one at 8am and 8:30am.

151 is grand for me, 10 min walk to that stop. I get the 8 one i should be in for 9 which be grand.

Rail station is a good bit of way Raycun. They built it in the middle of nowhere and the other new one they havent opened:rolleyes:

3 stars (average)
    151 is grand for me, 10 min walk to that stop. I get the 8 one i should be in for 9 which be grand.

Rail station is a good bit of way Raycun. They built it in the middle of nowhere and the other new one they havent opened:rolleyes:

I'll likely be on the 7:30 am one as we have a pacer meeeting in the Conrad before the race. Migth just get a taxi though.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

4 stars (good)
    For anyone travelling up from Cork/Munster area.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=1219

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

3 stars (average)
    itsalltrue wrote: »
    i'm drivin up from down the country and was planning on parking along the custom house keys near Jurys Inn. Would this be a good spot, i plan on being there for around 8:30 so i hope to miss traffic restrictions but i'm abit worried all the spaces will be gone. Is thios a good spot? alot of the car parks don't open till 10am

just drive in, but head along canal towards Lower/Upper Mount Street area, there is normally lots of parking available earlyish on race morning.

4 stars (good)
    20% off Wagamama, when you show your DCM acceptance slip until the 31st October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

How many times will this change???
    As many times as there are days left.

Just hope we dont get last nights weather!

And if we do, we'll still run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Slaphead_ wrote: »

? Why would you want to shower away achievement? I proudly walked around town after the Half-Marathon with salty sweat lines scarred across my body like a tribal warrior for all to see. And the smell? The odor of success can not be purchased in any bottle.*

*the above post may be overly dramatic for effect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)

Ain't no mountain high enough.....;)

• Advertisement

Ain't no mountain high enough.....;)

Well if the weather is like it is today we can swim!!

But more importantly we be drench in the pub and cold :(

I want my BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER:mad:

4 stars (good)
    Put a change of clothes in the waterproof gear bag (with maybe a second plastic bag inside if the weather is like today).
    You should have a change of clothes for afterwards anyway :)

Im all for toughing out races but wasting 4 or 5 months of quality marathon training on a windy day........not a chance. Personally I'd knock it on the head and run florence in a few weeks time instead. Pointless wasting all that hard work on a bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

There are going to be some large tents available to change in if the weather turns bad, I think they may be heated also..
    Im all for toughing out races but wasting 4 or 5 months of quality marathon training on a windy day........not a chance. Personally I'd knock it on the head and run florence in a few weeks time instead. Pointless wasting all that hard work on a bad day.

Eh I have my sponsers to keep happy... all 80 euros of them.. ;)

3 stars (average)

not an option for alot of us unfortunately (although a bit of sun would be great) plus i couldnt hack another two weeks of this taper business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I dare say you would very much be the exception.

In a big city marathon, a windy day can be to your advantage if you know the course - tuck into a group when against the wind, and when with the wind try to bridge to the next group. Course knowledge would really be essential to ensure you don't get caught between groups when hitting into the wind but you could gain a lot more time when with the wind than what you lose against the wind if you run smart.

For the time Tunguska is targetting, in Dublin there won't be so many groups of runners to shelter behind so yeah, might be better off going for an alternative race but for anyone slower than 2:45 I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunituy to shelter behind other runners.

If theres any type of southerly wind on the day, people running in pace groups are going to be really advantaged as they basically will have the shelter of the pace group for first 20 miles and will then have the wind with them for the last 6 miles if they want to push on home.

In the Cork marathon, running with the sub 3 pace group, my HR was if anything lower on the toughest mile where we ran head on into the wind - this was because knowing the wind was at its straongest and directly against us, I tucked in tight the group, tighter than at any other stage in the race, so that I was probably running easier then than when there was no wind and I wasn't making much of an effort to draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

i'll be tucking in behind gringo

Gringo78 wrote: »
    In a big city marathon, a windy day can be to your advantage if you know the course - tuck into a group when against the wind, and when with the wind try to bridge to the next group. Course knowledge would really be essential to ensure you don't get caught between groups when hitting into the wind but you could gain a lot more time when with the wind than what you lose against the wind if you run smart.

For the time Tunguska is targetting, in Dublin there won't be so many groups of runners to shelter behind so yeah, might be better off going for an alternative race but for anyone slower than 2:45 I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunituy to shelter behind other runners.

If theres any type of southerly wind on the day, people running in pace groups are going to be really advantaged as they basically will have the shelter of the pace group for first 20 miles and will then have the wind with them for the last 6 miles if they want to push on home.

I see where you're coming from Gringo but I got the bike out yesterday and cycled the marathon route and let me tell you if its in any way windy it'll be a nightmare. There were so many stretches of the route that were very exposed. And that last 10k goes on forever.

I see where you're coming from Gringo but I got the bike out yesterday and cycled the marathon route and let me tell you if its in any way windy it'll be a nightmare. There were so many stretches of the route that were very exposed. And that last 10k goes on forever.

Ha ha you've just got rusty bike legs!

How's the calf?

Ha ha you've just got rusty bike legs!

How's the calf?

Its a lot better thanks. I'll make the start line alright(weather permitting). Just wanna get it done at this stage.
    How you fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

20% off at Wagamama this week if you show a DCM acceptance slip, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

In the Cork marathon, running with the sub 3 pace group, my HR was if anything lower on the toughest mile where we ran head on into the wind - this was because knowing the wind was at its straongest and directly against us, I tucked in tight the group, tighter than at any other stage in the race, so that I was probably running easier then than when there was no wind and I wasn't making much of an effort to draft.

And you still call that a PB???:rolleyes:

eliwallach wrote: »
    And you still call that a PB???:rolleyes:

Hey....good enough for Haile, good enough for me.

Its a lot better thanks. I'll make the start line alright(weather permitting). Just wanna get it done at this stage.
    How you fixed?

Itching to go....really looking forward to it (whatever the weather)

• Advertisement
Advertisement