Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 31/10/2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

Had a not so glamorous LSR on Sat, started it with stomach issues and couldn't take in much fuel so crashed n burned essentially. Still, I soldiered on to get a tad over 33k...what doesn't kill us, eh?
    So during the marathon, what do folk take for fueling? Do you just rely on gels, or do you take solid food too (bananas, cereal bars etc)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Just gels. Solid food is harder to digest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

3 stars (average)
    I've been using bananas for all my LSRs as they are very easy to chew while running. My stomach doesn't react well to gels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

3 stars (average)
    I've been using bananas for all my LSRs as they are very easy to chew while running. My stomach doesn't react well to gels.

There wont be an ample supply of bananas for Dublin. More is the pity as I find solid food while hard to digest and more bulky to carry is far less likely to give me stomach issues during a marathon. You will have to try and get some sort of a gel sorted or else a nutrition belt loaded with bananas.

3 stars (average)
    ger664 wrote: »
    There wont be an ample supply of bananas for Dublin. More is the pity as I find solid food while hard to digest and more bulky to carry is far less likely to give me stomach issues during a marathon. You will have to try and get some sort of a gel sorted or else a nutrition belt loaded with bananas.

I plan to have family members organised to provide me with bananas along the route, but maybe it would be better to use my running bag which I've been wearing for nearly every run in the past 6 months. I don't trust my stomach enough to react the same way to a gel from one run to the next.

The half-marathon in the 70.3 Ironman in Galway had half-bananas at every nutrition station. Great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    Whatever works for you but given that bananas are complex carbs and slow release and that your digestive system is subject to reduced efficiency during a marathon I'd question are you getting the benefit you'd need from them?

3 stars (average)
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Whatever works for you but given that bananas are complex carbs and slow release and that your digestive system is subject to reduced efficiency during a marathon I'd question are you getting the benefit you'd need from them?

It seems to work for me, but I'm open to advice!

3 stars (average)
    It seems to work for me, but I'm open to advice!

I assume you've tried isogels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Isogels without the caffenine are very light on the stomach.

Taste better than most other gels.

Could also try luzaode sport ones? Needs water though.

I moved from sports to isogels because of the no need for water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

3 stars (average)
    ive only ever used the isogels and never had an issue. besides the fact that they are fecking huge to carry i think ill use just them in the marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I plan to have family members organised to provide me with bananas along the route, but maybe it would be better to use my running bag which I've been wearing for nearly every run in the past 6 months. I don't trust my stomach enough to react the same way to a gel from one run to the next.

The half-marathon in the 70.3 Ironman in Galway had half-bananas at every nutrition station. Great idea!

Or you could just get this lad to run with you. Sure he always has a good supply on him! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tiptopdel

Isogels without the caffenine are very light on the stomach.

Taste better than most other gels.

Could also try luzaode sport ones? Needs water though.

I moved from sports to isogels because of the no need for water

No need for water at all??
    Do the isogels quench the thirst as good as plain old water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Tiptopdel wrote: »
    No need for water at all??
    Do the isogels quench the thirst as good as plain old water?
    No. Average_runner means that you don't need to take water with the gel (as you do with non-isotonic gels) to speed the movement/digestion of the gel.

Re: Gels....

I was using Powerbar gels, and although I wasn't a fan of the taste, texture or consistency I did feel that they gave me a boost when my energy levels were starting to waver.

I went to buy some gels last weekend in a shop I don't usually use, and the only gels they had were Kinetica isogels. I decided to give them a go on last weekend's LSR... Jaysus they're lovely! tasted like a smoothie! and they seem to have worked too and given me the energy required... I'll be using them again in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

2 stars (poor)
    The new powerbar fruit gels are much better than the older ones - these new ones are fruit juice based, not "goop" based!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

3 stars (average)
    Elverys were giving out Kinecta gels at the half marathon, I took a couple for the race and found they were nice and were OK with my stomach.

The new powerbar fruit gels are much better than the older ones - these new ones are fruit juice based, not "goop" based!
    I tried the new ones at the H/M... didn't find them any different to the older ones TBH. Like I said, they gave me the energy I needed but I'm not a fan of the taste!

liamog wrote: »
    Elverys were giving out Kinecta gels at the half marathon, I took a couple for the race and found they were nice and were OK with my stomach.

The Dublin Half??? I didn't see anyone from Elverys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

The Dublin Half??? I didn't see anyone from Elverys!

There was definitely someone at the finish of the Dublin half handing out High5 gels, I got a couple of them. Didn't have the presence of mind at the time to find out who he was there for, could've been Elverys though. It was High5 gels, not Kinecta though - I've still got them!

mfdc wrote: »
    There was definitely someone at the finish of the Dublin half handing out High5 gels, I got a couple of them. Didn't have the presence of mind at the time to find out who he was there for, could've been Elverys though. It was High5 gels, not Kinecta though - I've still got them!
    Yea, I got a free High5 gel too, never tried them before, but I like Kinetica as they are more liquid than most, so easier to take in while running and a little less water needed to wash them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Hey guys just wondering what quantities of isogels people would use. I usually use just normal GU gels about 1/hr but was going to try isogels in my LSRs- was a bit put off by the 3/hr though. How many would be needed for DCM?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

mush500 wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering what quantities of isogels people would use. I usually use just normal GU gels about 1/hr but was going to try isogels in my LSRs- was a bit put off by the 3/hr though. How many would be needed for DCM?
    I usually use 3 to 4 Power gels taking the first at around the 6/7 mile and maybe the last around 20 mile mark - though when I am tired i tend to have to push msyself to take the last one or two.
    I will take bananas too sometimes but that varies with how i feel and how easy it is to take them from the passing station.

3 stars (average)
    mush500 wrote: »
    was a bit put off by the 3/hr though. How many would be needed for DCM?

There's roughly the same amount of carbs/energy in the isotonic as the standard gels, 3 per hour is the max you can take.

Just use them as you would your normal gels(ie: If you planned taking 4 of the standard, take 4 of the isotonic).

I bought a box of GU gels a while back and it says to take one every 45mins. That might be brand specific though.

4 stars (good)
    They're not medically prescribed; you don't have to follow the instructions to the letter! Use them in some of your long runs and find the frequency that works for you. I use SIS Isotonic gels and take one during a marathon every 10k (approx every 40 minutes).

3 stars (average)
    The general guideline with gels/energy intake is 30-40g grams of simple carbs/sugar/fructose per hour of running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Is the closing date for entry Monday 5pm?

4 stars (good)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Is the closing date for entry Monday 5pm?

Yes - and the first "I have been training all year for this race but forgot to enter it" post is expected at 17.03.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes - and the first "I have been training all year for this race but forgot to enter it" post is expected at 17.03.

That would be me as i thought it was the 5th :D

my training was all over the place as i was tired with no energy. It turns out i have diabetes and when i was tired the best thing i could have done was actually run !

Anyway now aiming to finish and not a specific time. No gels as i have enough sugar in my blood !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

RayCun wrote: »

Just entered so that ain't gonna be me

4 stars (good)
    The general guideline with gels/energy intake is 30-40g grams of simple carbs/sugar/fructose per hour of running.
    Where does the 'general guideline' come from? A reputable source or a ruler of thumb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Hi , I entered the Dublin marathon sometime ago but recently fractured a bone in my foot which means I will not be able to participate,
    I checked the website and it states you can’t claim a refund or transfer the number to someone else.
    It just seems such a waste of money ?
    Has anyone ever found themselves in this situation before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

On the gel front - Does anyone know if there's gels on the course as in previous years? I had a quick scan of the Marathon site and couldn't see it mentioned anywhere..

3 stars (average)
    pdiddyw wrote: »
    Hi , I entered the Dublin marathon sometime ago but recently fractured a bone in my foot which means I will not be able to participate,
    I checked the website and it states you can’t claim a refund or transfer the number to someone else.
    It just seems such a waste of money ? The price from Oct 3rd is €90 , I gladly give it to some one for say less then half of that,

The least they could do now is carry your entry over to the 2012 DCM. Explain your circumstances and they should understand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

3 stars (average)
    Nialler73 wrote: »
    On the gel front - Does anyone know if there's gels on the course as in previous years? I had a quick scan of the Marathon site and couldn't see it mentioned anywhere..

Yes, there's gels at 2 separate points. I think it's around about 16 and 19/20 miles. You'll see it on the course map. It's High 5 gels. I wouldn't be relying on it if it's not the brand you usually use. It's great to have them there if you're feeling the need but I'd prefer to be self-sufficient regarding gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

It just seems such a waste of money ? The price from Oct 3rd is €90 , I gladly give it to some one for say less then half of that,

Hard luck on the injury pdiddyw. I had to pull out 3 weeks before the race a few years ago due to a small pelvic fracture and unfortunately there's no comeback on your entry fee. I guess it would be very difficult to administer if lots of people simply changed their mind as the race approached.

Would you consider volunteering? I signed up to help register runners at the expo (once I stopped sobbing in self pity !) and it was fun. You can still be involved and it might get some good running karma in the bank ;)

The least they could do now is carry your entry over to the 2012 DCM. Explain your circumstances and they should understand!

Thanks Micilin Muc, didn't actually think off that,not sure if they will but might be worth a shout, cheers.

4 stars (good)
    <mod> just reminding everyone that number transfers are not allowed by the race, and so not allowed on this forum </mod>

Lila wrote: »
    Hard luck on the injury pdiddyw. I had to pull out 3 weeks before the race a few years ago due to a small pelvic fracture and unfortunately there's no comeback on your entry fee. I guess it would be very difficult to administer if lots of people simply changed their mind as the race approached.

Would you consider volunteering? I signed up to help register runners at the expo (once I stopped sobbing in self pity !) and it was fun. You can still be involved and it might get some good running karma in the bank ;)

Hi Lila, I'm a member of the BHAA, so might consider this as an option and volunteer with them if I 'm in Dublin that wkend providing no longer feeling sorry for myself!!!

3 stars (average)
    A general guideline with gels/energy intake is 30-40g grams of simple carbs/sugar/fructose per hour of running is all the body can absorb.

Clearly we use more energy then what 40g of sugar can supply when running for a hour.

Where does the 'general guideline' come from? A reputable source or a ruler of thumb?

I had a conversation once upon a time with a guy who works in the sport nutrition industry. Again this figure will vary from person to person but for most athletics/runners he reckoned 30-40g was all the body can absorb of simple carbs (glucose/fructose) while exercising.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    I had a conversation once upon a time with a guy who works in the sport nutrition industry. Again this figure will vary from person to person but for most athletics/runners he reckoned 30-40g was all the body can absorb of simple carbs (glucose/fructose) while exercising.
    Thanks, that's useful. But can we not also run with an energy deficit, and not take in as much carbs as the body can absorb?

3 stars (average)
    Thanks, that's useful. But can we not also run with an energy deficit, and not take in as much carbs as the body can absorb?

I concur with that. The other side of the coin in taking on more then the body can absorb, has the nasty side effect of being left in the gut causing nausea, and bloating. A build up or continuation of taking sugar eventually leads to gastric evacuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

3 stars (average)
    I concur with that. The other side of the coin in taking on more then the body can absorb, has the nasty side effect of being left in the gut causing nausea, and bloating. A build up or continuation of taking sugar eventually leads to gastric evacuation.
    :eek::eek::eek:

It just seems such a waste of money ?
    I entered the Portumna race in June but had to back out due to a hamstring injury, they allowed me to defer until next year, but it's a much, much smaller race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Sub 2:45
    2:44.59 - Pablo T
    2.36.00 devotional1993

Sub 3:00
    2:49:xx - Gringo78 - 3rd Marathon
    2:51.xx - Racman - 10th Marathon (30th anniversary of first one)
    2:54:59 - brownian - 5th Marathon
    2:55.30 - RunForestRun - 12th Marathon
    2:59.59 - Lex Luther - 9th Marathon
    2:59:30 - Fazz - 1st Marathon (aiming high!)
    2:59:30 - haggis_mccloud - 1st Marathon (also aiming high)
    2:59.29 - 7mile- 7th Marathon
    2:59.59 - Earlyevening 6th marathon
    2:59.59 - Slogger Jogger Twenty somethingth marathon. 8th Dublin.
    2:59.59 - NeedsTraining - 7th marathon (aiming high, legs feel now) *

Sub 3:15
    3:09:59 - Diggy78 - 5th Marathon
    3:09:59 - Corkrunner71 - 12th Marathon
    3:14:xx - condo131 - 21st Marathon (but running sh*te at the mo')
    3:14:59 - Potsy11 - 6th Marathon
    3:14:59 - BetterThanHoyte - 1st Marathon

Sub 3:30
    3:19:59 - Floyd333 - 1st Marathon
    3:20:00 - Aficionado - 2nd Marathon
    3:25:00 - EMPM - 1st Marathon
    3:25:59 - BrokenMan - 3rd Marathon
    3:26:42 - Der Nipper 3rd Marathon (exact time closer to date)
    3:28:00 - Mr Slow - 3rd Marathon
    3:29:00 - ItsAllTrue - 2nd Marathon
    3:29:30 - snailsong - 1st marathon
    3:29:30 - TFBubendorfer - (pacer) 22nd marathon
    3.29.30 - Liamo123 - ( pacer ) 9th marathon ( presuming I get 2 Berlin in one piece )
    3:29:30 - neilc - will be 4th marathon
    3:29:59 - RayCun - 2nd marathon
    3:29:59 - Tipp man running - 5th marathon
    3:29:59 - AverageRunner - 3rd Marathon
    3:29:59 - Ray von - 1st Marathon
    3:29:59 - paulb79 - 2nd marathon
    3.29.59 - marathonm@n - 6th marathon
    3.29.59 - Dundalk - 2nd marathon

Sub 3:45
    3:42:00 - Sharktale
    3:44:59 - steviecakes - 2nd Marathon
    3:44:30 - Macanri - (Pacer) not as many marathons as the other pacers!
    3:44:30 - Brianderunner (Pacer)
    3:44:30 - shotgunmcos (Pacer) - 10th Marathon, 3rd time pacing DCM
    3:45:00 - antomagoo 1st marathon
    3.45:00 - Vagga 1st marathon
    3:45:00 - Concerned2 1st marathon
    3:45:00 - liamog - 1st Marathon
    3:45:00 - 28064212 - 1st Marathon

Sub 4:00
    3.49.59 - Dullahan2 1st marathon
    3.50.00 - Van.Bosch - 2nd Marathon
    3.55.59 - i008787 - 9th Marathon
    3.57.02 - tec diver, 2nd marathon, Connemara was my first!
    3.57.30 - dazed+confused 1st Marathon
    3:59:30 - menoscemo - (pacer) 11th Marathon
    3:59:30 - Oisin11178 - (pacer) 35th marathon
    3:59:30 - christeb - (pacer) 5th Marathon
    3:59:30 - Jackyback - (pacer) 6th Marathon (1 IM mara)
    3.59.59 - PDCAT - 1st Marathon
    3.59.59 - lahaine, first marathon, eye of the tiger baby!
    3.59.59 - iMac Hunt 3rd marathon
    3.59.59 - mfdc 2nd marathon
    3.59.59 - BobMac104 1st Marathon ( 4.15 is prob more realistic but sub 4 is the goal)
    3.59.59 - Cabaal 2nd marathon (Same target but ran into issues during Cork Marathon in June)
    3:59:59 - Tinydave (hopfully the i get some tailwind)
    3:59:59 - IMKNACKERED 2nd attempted marathon
    3:59:59 - Dev123 2nd marathon

Sub 4:30
    4:15:00 grasscutter - 4th Marathon
    4:29:30 ger664 - (pacer) 6th Marathon
    4:29:30 Izoard - (pacer) 14th standalone + 2 Ironman marathons....
    4:29:59 Elvis Jones 1st marathon and i hope to tag along with the above
    4;29:59 Younganne 2nd Marathon
    4:29:59 Micilín Muc 2nd marathon (first one I trained properly for!)

Just Finish
    hoping to finish in 5:15 -diddleyland 3rd marathon
    Just Finish - foxyboxer - 1st Marathon
    Just Finish- Kit3- 1st marathon
    Just Finish- JJJJNR - 1st Marathon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

3 stars (average)
    2.36.00 devotional1993

3.29.30 - Liamo123 - ( pacer ) 9th marathon ( presuming I get 2 Berlin in one piece )

3.59.59 - BobMac104 1st Marathon ( 4.15 is prob more realistic but sub 4 is the goal)
    3.59.59 - Cabaal 2nd marathon (Same target but ran into issues during Cork Marathon in June)
    3:59:59 - liamog - 1st Marathon, going to run with the pacers for the first 20.

Just Finish
    Just Finish- JJJJNR - 1st Marathon[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

4 stars (good)
    2.36.00 devotional1993

3:29:59 - Spanx - 1st marathon

3:59:59 - liamog - 1st Marathon, going to run with the pacers for the first 20.

Just Finish
    Just Finish- JJJJNR - 1st Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Hi guys, pretty new to Boards, but just checking, I did 20miles today, should I go up to 22 next week or keep at 20 or start going down in mileage?? Want to be fresh for the 31st, but obviously don't want to decrease mileage too soon?? It's my first marathon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

They're not medically prescribed; you don't have to follow the instructions to the letter! Use them in some of your long runs and find the frequency that works for you. I use SIS Isotonic gels and take one during a marathon every 10k (approx every 40 minutes).

This post is worth repeating. Schedules, gels etc are just suggestions and not the Holy Gospels. Experiment and find out what works for you in different conditions, different race lengths and at different times of the year and in different temperatures. And remember as you get more experienced, you are probably going to change from what worked before to what you think will work now.
    And you may learn an awful more from the things you do ' wrong' than you think.

4 stars (good)
    Hi guys, pretty new to Boards, but just checking, I did 20miles today, should I go up to 22 next week or keep at 20 or start going down in mileage?? Want to be fresh for the 31st, but obviously don't want to decrease mileage too soon?? It's my first marathon :D
    Hi Bubblypinky. Firstly, well done on hitting your first 20! As to what you should do next week, it depends on what kind of training you've been doing to date. Maybe you could tell us what all your recent long runs have been, and what your typical weekly mileage is? Also, what's your plan? To complete the marathon or have a specific time-goal in mind?

Looking at the calendar, you have one more long run before the traditional taper, so it might be worth repeating the 20 mile run next week, as a four week taper is just a little too long. If your marathon goal is to go out on a limb and reach a specific aggressive goal, then you could look at running to 21 miles next week. If your mileage is typically quite low, and your plan is just to finish, then perhaps you should set out next week with the plan to do 18 miles, and then run the extra two miles if you're still feeling very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Hi Bubblypinky. Firstly, well done on hitting your first 20! As to what you should do next week, it depends on what kind of training you've been doing to date. Maybe you could tell us what all your recent long runs have been, and what your typical weekly mileage is? Also, what's your plan? To complete the marathon or have a specific time-goal in mind?

Many thanks Krusty!!! I did 49miles total last week. I have been doing LSR on sat/sun, did 16mile last wk, 14 week before, decreasing by a mile a week then. Been training since June, but was injured 2wks in Aug :mad: During the week I usually start off with an 8mile, then maybe a 12/10mile, followed by day off then a tempo run. I felt good doing the 20 today, kinda started getting the legs-feeling-like-sandbags bout 16/17mile but took a gel and felt good finishing. Was only meant to do 18 today, but just felt able to hit the 20 so thought why not?? I did the half marathon in 1:55 and would love to finish DCM under 4:30.....we shall see!!!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement