Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 31/10/2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tiptopdel

Does anyone know what sports drinks they give out on the course.
    Just wondering so I can give them a trial before the day to make sure they agree with the stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Tiptopdel wrote: »
    Just wondering so I can give them a trial before the day to make sure they agree with the stomach.

Spar energy drink i believe, the same as the half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

4 stars (good)

Spar energy drink i believe, the same as the half.

Not sure but I think it was club energise last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

4 stars (good)
    Sub 2:35

Tunguska - 4th marathon

Sub 2:45
    2:44.59 - Pablo T
    2.36.00 devotional1993
    2:44:59 - n-dawg - 3rd marathon

Sub 3:00
    2:49:xx - Gringo78 - 3rd Marathon
    2:51.xx - Racman - 10th Marathon (30th anniversary of first one)
    2:54:59 - brownian - 5th Marathon
    2:55.30 - RunForestRun - 12th Marathon
    2:59.59 - Lex Luther - 9th Marathon
    2:59:30 - Fazz - 1st Marathon (aiming high!)
    2:59:30 - haggis_mccloud - 1st Marathon (also aiming high)
    2:59:30 - TheRoadRunner - sub 3hr Pacer & looking forward to it
    2:59.29 - 7mile- 7th Marathon
    2:59.59 - Earlyevening 6th marathon
    2:59.59 - Slogger Jogger Twenty somethingth marathon. 8th Dublin.
    2:59.59 - NeedsTraining - 7th marathon (aiming high, legs feel now) *

Sub 3:15
    3:09:59 - Diggy78 - 5th Marathon
    3:09:59 - Corkrunner71 - 12th Marathon
    3:14:xx - condo131 - 21st Marathon (but running sh*te at the mo')
    3:14:59 - Potsy11 - 6th Marathon

Sub 3:30
    3:19:59 - Floyd333 - 1st Marathon
    3:20:00 - Aficionado - 2nd Marathon
    3:20:00 - L&P - 3rd Marathon
    3:25:00 - EMPM - 1st Marathon
    3:25:59 - BrokenMan - 3rd Marathon
    3:26:42 - Der Nipper 3rd Marathon (exact time closer to date)
    3:28:00 - Mr Slow - 3rd Marathon
    3:29:00 - ItsAllTrue - 2nd Marathon
    3:29:30 - snailsong - 1st marathon
    3:29:30 - TFBubendorfer - (pacer) 22nd marathon
    3.29.30 - Liamo123 - ( pacer ) 9th marathon ( presuming I get 2 Berlin in one piece )
    3:29:30 - neilc - will be 4th marathon
    3:29:59 - RayCun - 2nd marathon
    3:29:59 - Tipp man running - 5th marathon
    3:29:59 - AverageRunner - 3rd Marathon
    3:29:59 - Ray von - 1st Marathon
    3:29:59 - paulb79 - 2nd marathon
    3.29.59 - marathonm@n - 6th marathon
    3.29.59 - Dundalk - 2nd marathon
    3:29:59 - Spanx - 1st marathon
    3:29:59 - Mr Marenghi - 4th marathon (2nd marathon with proper, full, injury free training)

Sub 3:45
    3:42:00 - Sharktale
    3:44:59 - steviecakes - 2nd Marathon
    3:44:30 - Macanri - (Pacer) not as many marathons as the other pacers!
    3:44:30 - Brianderunner (Pacer)
    3:44:30 - shotgunmcos (Pacer) - 10th Marathon, 3rd time pacing DCM
    3:45:00 - antomagoo 1st marathon
    3:45:00 - Concerned2 1st marathon
    3:45:00 - 28064212 - 1st Marathon
    3:45:00 - Kinbe 1st Marathon

Sub 4:00
    3.49.59 - Dullahan2 1st marathon
    3.50.00 - Van.Bosch - 2nd Marathon
    3.50:00 - Vagga 1st marathon - Changed this ages ago but it got reset. Post 4 week layoff, dropping goal a bit to be realisitc
    3.55.59 - i008787 - 9th Marathon
    3.57.30 - dazed+confused 1st Marathon
    3:57:59 - Conseng - 1st marathon
    3:59:30 - menoscemo - (pacer) 11th Marathon
    3:59:30 - Oisin11178 - (pacer) 35th marathon
    3:59:30 - christeb - (pacer) 5th Marathon
    3:59:30 - Jackyback - (pacer) 6th Marathon (1 IM mara)
    3:59:30 - Jim0 - 2nd Marathon (narrowly missed 4:00 in Berlin 2011; seeking revenge)
    3.59.59 - PDCAT - 1st Marathon
    3.59.59 - lahaine, first marathon, eye of the tiger baby!
    3.59.59 - iMac Hunt 3rd marathon
    3.59.59 - mfdc 2nd marathon
    3.59.59 - BobMac104 1st Marathon ( 4.15 is prob more realistic but sub 4 is the goal)
    3.59.59 - Cabaal 2nd marathon (Same target but ran into issues during Cork Marathon in June)
    3:59:59 - Tinydave (hopfully the i get some tailwind)
    3:59:59 - IMKNACKERED 2nd attempted marathon
    3:59:59 - Dev123 2nd marathon
    3:59:59 - liamog - 1st Marathon, going to run with the pacers for the first 20.
    3:59:59 - D Chief, 2nd Marathon

Sub 4:30
    4:15:00 grasscutter - 4th Marathon
    4.14.02 - tec diver, 2nd marathon, Connemara was my first!
    4:29:30 ger664 - (pacer) 6th Marathon
    4:29:30 Izoard - (pacer) 14th standalone + 2 Ironman marathons....
    4;29:59 Younganne 2nd Marathon
    4:29:59 Micilín Muc 2nd marathon (first one I trained properly for!)
    4.29.59 subscriber 1st marathon (was hoping to go sub 4, too much time out on injury means that wont be happening)
    4.29.59 Ontheditch2 1st marathon
    4.29.59 run44 - 1st marathon

Just Finish
    hoping to finish in 5:15 -diddleyland 3rd marathon
    Just Finish - foxyboxer - 1st Marathon
    Just Finish- Kit3- 1st marathon
    Just Finish- JJJJNR - 1st Marathon
    Just Finish -Pilot1087 - 1st Marathon (decided to go for it)
    Just Finish - Elvis Jones - 1st Marathon and have had problems along the way. No injuires, just messy problems. But i'll finish if i have to crawl:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

2 stars (poor)

Spar sports drink according to the route map on the website, at miles 9, 12 & 18.5., High 5 gels at miles 15 & 18.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Any idea if the pacers run even pace or even effort for the Marathon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Even pace

RayCun wrote: »
    Even pace

Damn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Sport101 wrote: »
    Any idea if the pacers run even pace or even effort for the Marathon?
    Damn!

It's best practice to pace a race like DM even splits- there's no hills to speak of, that you'd be "banking" time for, or anything like that. Also most helpful to most people if pacers run steady throughout. What time are you going for?

Are you talking about even mile splits or even half splits? I've run Dublin before and there are a good few drags, so I fully expect to run some miles slower than targeted MP and some miles faster. This approach would seem to make sense to me, rather than pushing hard on the drags/small inclines. In fact I had sort of planned to run negative splits based on the course profile, but we shall see how that pans out. Sub 3 is the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    Are you talking about even mile splits or even half splits? I've run Dublin before and there are a good few drags, so I fully expect to run some miles slower than targeted MP and some miles faster. This approach would seem to make sense to me, rather than pushing hard on the drags/small inclines. In fact I had sort of planned to run negative splits based on the course profile, but we shall see how that pans out. Sub 3 is the goal.

There might be 5-10 seconds/mile difference in some of the splits if the mile is up or downhill, but honestly none of the drags are that steep as to slow you down anymore than that while maintaining an even effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

The pacers will lose/gain a couple of seconds on any of the short inclines, but the goal is steady mile pace throughout (in effect, steady 5k splits). If you reach the 20 mile mark in (20x6:50) minutes, you could push on for your negative split, but the pacers will continue to grind out steady miles.

There's three very experienced sub-3 pacers this year, you'll be in good hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

3 stars (average)
    From past experience what would be the size of the pace groups? I may need to hide from Meno :-)
    And from those who start out with a pace group what % stay the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    dev123 wrote: »
    From past experience what would be the size of the pace groups? I may need to hide from Meno :-)

Roughly put, loads at the start, less at the end! ;)

4 stars (good)

There was a clump of 30/40 runners with the 4 hour guys when I passed them in the park last year, and probably two or three times that many people following but more spread out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

3 stars (average)

They usually fragment as the race goes on. The stronger runners will push on and others will drop off. You might start with 100 and finish with 5 or 6, which is the way it should be really.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

There was a clump of 30/40 runners with the 4 hour guys when I passed them in the park last year, and probably two or three times that many people following but more spread out.

Good chat about the pacers; thanks to all.

Sorry in advance, the following question sounds stupid even to me, as I think about it, but here goes:

I'm very keen to break 4:00 at DCM, but it will only be my 2nd marathon (the first being 4:02 in Berlin last month). Would I be better off (i) setting out with the 3:45s and letting them get away at the end, or (ii) setting out with the 4:00s and trying to get ahead of them at some point?

Let's assume for the sake of the answer that I am capable of running 4:00 if the right strategy is adopted!

3 stars (average)
    jim0 wrote: »

Sorry in advance, the following question sounds stupid even to me, as I think about it, but here goes:

I'm very keen to break 4:00 at DCM, but it will only be my 2nd marathon (the first being 4:02 in Berlin last month). Would I be better off (i) setting out with the 3:45s and letting them get away at the end, or (ii) setting out with the 4:00s and trying to get ahead of them at some point?

Let's assume for the sake of the answer that I am capable of running 4:00 if the right strategy is adopted!

A similar question has been asked before and my understanding is that banking time in a marathon is not advisable. I am gonna take a wild stab in the dark here but more experienced folk on here will suggest going out with the 4 hour pacers. Best of luck with your goal

3 stars (average)

Going out faster than you are able for is a very bad way to run a marathon. For every minute you gain at the start you will probably lose 4-5 minutes at the end, the lactic build up in the legs will make you slow down dramatically later in the race. Believe me if the 4 hr pacers catch you with more than a mile to go, you will not be able to hold on (I say this from experience having paced 4hr marathons twice so far this year).
    Steady pacing is the only way to get your best possible marathon time, so head out with the 4 hr pacers and stick with them. We will be running even splits and come in at 3:59:30 (my money is riding on it ;)). If you are feeling good round UCD then we will send you on and you should be able to take an extra few minutes off your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

menoscemo wrote: »
    Going out faster than you are able for is a very bad way to run a marathon. For every minute you gain at the start you will probably lose 4-5 minutes at the end, the lactic build up in the legs will make you slow down dramatically later in the race. Believe me if the 4 hr pacers catch you with more than a mile to go, you will not be able to hold on (I say this from experience having paced 4hr marathons twice so far this year).
    Steady pacing is the only way to get your best possible marathon time, so head out with the 4 hr pacers and stick with them. We will be running even splits and come in at 3:59:30 (my money is riding on it ;)). If you are feeling good round UCD then we will send you on and you should be able to take an extra few minutes off your time.

Brilliant, thanks - as a reward, you get the dubious pleasure of my company for as much of the 42km as possible! See you in a couple of weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

3 stars (average)

To add to meno's spot on advice, I ran Berlin myself and the conditions were a killer, you'll have much more favourable conditions in Dublin and assuming you've recovered sufficiently (hard to know for sure until the day) you should be able to stay ahead of the pacers after you push on and clock a 3'57 or 3'58, best of luck.

3 stars (average)

And there ya go....:-)

3 stars (average)

Oh Yeah, and bring your Earplugs ;):D

3 stars (average)

Oh Yeah, and bring your Earplugs ;):D

I've just ordered a military grade set of ear defenders. Hopefully they will do the job :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

What a service. They'll do everything but actually run for you :)

Running with pacers certainly is a big help, mentally and psychologically. Go with the 4hr lads and you won't go far wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)

Tunguska - 4th marathon

2.36.00 devotional1993

3:14:30 - Krusty_Clown - Sub 3:15 pacer - lots of marathons

3.29.30 - Liamo123 - ( pacer ) 9th marathon ( presuming I get 2 Berlin in one piece )
    3:29:59 - Mr Marenghi - 4th marathon (2nd marathon with proper, full, injury free training)

3.50:00 - Vagga 1st marathon - Changed this ages ago but it got reset. Post 4 week layoff, dropping goal a bit to be realisitc
    3:59:30 - Jim0 - 2nd Marathon (narrowly missed 4:00 in Berlin 2011; seeking revenge)
    3.59.59 - BobMac104 1st Marathon ( 4.15 is prob more realistic but sub 4 is the goal)
    3.59.59 - Cabaal 2nd marathon (Same target but ran into issues during Cork Marathon in June)

4.29.59 subscriber 1st marathon (was hoping to go sub 4, too much time out on injury means that wont be happening)

Just Finish
    Just Finish - Elvis Jones - 1st Marathon and have had problems along the way. No injuires, just messy problems. But i'll finish if i have to crawl:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Tunguska - 4th marathon

2.36.00 devotional1993

Just Finish
    Just Finish - Elvis Jones - 1st Marathon and have had problems along the way. No injuries, just messy problems. But i'll finish if i have to crawl:mad:

Unfortunately, after a 1h 17m half marathon in September, I missed three weeks due to cellulitis in my leg (get all insect bites and scratches looked at asap). Got going again but tripped over a tree root on my long run in the Phoenix Park on Sunday and now have an infection in my arm and more antibiotics. Might have to be Seville in February. Good luck to everyone who has entered - hope you make it to the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

4 stars (good)
    This is great thread - thanks for the answers... some more questions re Pacers...

My first marathon. I'm honestly cacking it. But training has gone well. I've done everything I can and managed not to injure myself. I'm going out with the 4 hour group and its good to know the pacing will be steady and on the nose for each mile/km... Some questions, and I apologise for the rather simple nature...

* Will the 4 hours pacers be running at EXACTLY 5:40 per KM from crossing the start line, or will it be say 5:30/km at the start "just to get warmed up"... and then taper to 5:40/km that might sound stupid, but I Want to set my expectations in advance.
    * Is there any chance to meet/greet the pacers on sat/sun before marathon, just to say hello... god knows we'll hopefully be running together for 4 hours.
    * During the race Is there any chat/small talk between runners/runners or runners/pacers. I'd imagine probably not...
    * Where / how do I find the 4 hours pacers on the day? Ive been to start line a few years back and its a savage crush of people... how do you find someone in a few thousand others? Is there a meeting point before hand.
    * If runners start falling behind at UCD (I keep hearing about the "ramp"), will the pacers offer words of encouragement, like "Come on ya lazy ****e" ;)

Sorry for the simple questions. I think I'm starting to panic a little. Thanks again for a great thread.

Muppet Man.

3 stars (average)
    * Will the 4 hours pacers be running at EXACTLY 5:40 per KM from crossing the start line, or will it be say 5:30/km at the start "just to get warmed up"... and then taper to 5:40/km that might sound stupid, but I Want to set my expectations in advance.

Even 5k splits while attempting to have even mile splits.

* Is there any chance to meet/greet the pacers on sat/sun before marathon, just to say hello... god knows we'll hopefully be running together for 4 hours.

Some will be at the EXPO

* During the race Is there any chat/small talk between runners/runners or runners/pacers. I'd imagine probably not...

Loads, it's supposed to be fun

* Where / how do I find the 4 hours pacers on the day? Ive been to start line a few years back and its a savage crush of people... how do you find someone in a few thousand others? Is there a meeting point before hand.

Big Balloons with 4:00 on them, start of wave 3 I think.

* If runners start falling behind at UCD (I keep hearing about the "ramp"), will the pacers offer words of encouragement, like "Come on ya lazy ****e" ;)

Meno will call you a big girls blouse and round you up if you're not too far behind.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    The pacers have a stand at the expo, and plan to be in place in the starting pen, with their enormous balloons, well before the start so you'll be able to find them. They're very chatty (especially Meno :D )

4 stars (good)
    Mr Slow wrote: »

Big Balloons with 4:00 on them, start of wave 3 I think.

Towards the back of wave 2. :)

Not looking forward to going to this expo, the last thing i need that weekend is pointless trip to Dublin.

With almost 15,000 people taking part its going to be a pain in the arse to get in and out of i think:mad:

3 stars (average)
    Not looking forward to going to this expo, the last thing i need that weekend is pointless trip to Dublin.

With almost 15,000 people taking part its going to be a pain in the arse to get in and out of i think:mad:

Over two days it's not so bad, they're well set up for number collection and it's never really a crush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)

Go early. There's no-one there in the mornings, when it opens. All the big marathons (that I've been to) have expos where you have to collect your numbers.

Over two days it's not so bad, they're well set up for number collection and it's never really a crush.

Suppose so but its still a 3 hr round trip:rolleyes:

BUT i might treat myself to some nipple guards:D

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    BUT i might treat myself to some nipple guards:D

Opt for the ones with the tassles! :D

Opt for the ones with the tassles! :D

I have a semi now:o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

All the big marathons have expos .
    better get me 1 of dem:D

3 stars (average)
    Muppet Man wrote: »
    This is great thread - thanks for the answers... some more questions re Pacers...

My first marathon. I'm honestly cacking it. But training has gone well. I've done everything I can and managed not to injure myself. I'm going out with the 4 hour group and its good to know the pacing will be steady and on the nose for each mile/km... Some questions, and I apologise for the rather simple nature...

Sorry for the simple questions. I think I'm starting to panic a little. Thanks again for a great thread.

Muppet Man.

Mr Slow has answered this pretty much spot on :eek: Except we will be in wave 2 (towards the back). We will be in place about half an hour before the gun so just try to line up beside or slightly behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

4 stars (good)
    I've recovered well after Berlin and am really looking forward to this.
    My third time to call my time on this Forum, here's hoping it's third time lucky:D

Tunguska - 4th marathon

2.36.00 devotional1993

3:37:59 - marthastew- 7th Marathon

Just Finish
    Just Finish - Elvis Jones - 1st Marathon and have had problems along the way. No injuries, just messy problems. But i'll finish if i have to crawlmad.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Marthastew wrote: »
    My third time to call my time on this Forum, here's hoping it's third time lucky:D

Sure you looked recovered straight after crossing the line in Berlin giving your interview to the MySports TV crew ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

4 stars (good)
    Sure you looked recovered straight after crossing the line in Berlin giving your interview to the MySports TV crew ;)

I looked like sh**e but 26.2 miles will do that to you. Although the German girl on that video DID NOT look like she ran a marathon.

I'll keep an eye out for you and your missus on the way into Holles St. Maybe she could do DCM if the baby is taking its time arriving? It worked for the woman in Chicago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I looked like sh**e but 26.2 miles will do that to you. Although the German girl on that video DID NOT look like she ran a marathon.

I'll keep an eye out for you and your missus on the way into Holles St. Maybe she could do DCM if the baby is taking its time arriving? It worked for the woman in Chicago

After reading that story I was thinking it's kind of a lame excuse to be skipping Dublin just because my wife is due.

Still it's nice to be just reading this thread and running with no pressure - looking forward to the taper madness ratcheting up in the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Tunguska - 4th marathon

2.36.00 devotional1993

Just Finish
    Just Finish - Elvis Jones - 1st Marathon and have had problems along the way. No injuries, just messy problems. But i'll finish if i have to crawl

I'm out too. Had it confirmed yesterday in the Mater's fracture clinic. Stress fracture in 3rd metatarsal..... absolutely disgusted!!!!

Best of luck to all who are participating. I may be somewhere along the course on the day, handing out jellies or something! I might not be able to run it but I still want to take part somehow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Tunguska - 4th marathon

2.36.00 devotional1993

2:59.59 - Wideball - 6th marathon

Just Finish
    Just Finish - Elvis Jones - 1st Marathon and have had problems along the way. No injuries, just messy problems. But i'll finish if i have to crawlmad.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    Mile marker signs and posters starting to go up. Big placards sitting in the corridor down the club tonight.

They have a 6 mile marker outside Donore, can't be right? :confused: Usually it's around 8 miles there? I know the route through the park has changed but it surely hasn't cut off 2 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    I'm out too. Had it confirmed yesterday in the Mater's fracture clinic. Stress fracture in 3rd metatarsal..... absolutely disgusted!!!!

Best of luck to all who are participating. I may be somewhere along the course on the day, handing out jellies or something! I might not be able to run it but I still want to take part somehow!!
    Sorry to hear that, best wishes on a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bigdreams

Tunguska - 4th marathon

2.36.00 devotional1993

2:59.59 - Wideball - 6th marathon

3:24:00 - Bigdreams - 5th Marathon

Just Finish
    Just Finish - Elvis Jones - 1st Marathon and have had problems along the way. No injuries, just messy problems. But i'll finish if i have to crawl

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

I registered and payed for the marathon in August with the half marathon (have receipt) and have yet to receive any sign-on e-mail even though all of my friends who entered have.

At this stage should I have received this e-mail??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

4 stars (good)
    At this stage should I have received this e-mail??

I havent either!!!! :( Now you got me worried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement