Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub for Klitschko v Haye

• 28-06-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm going to forego my Waterboys tickets and go into town Saturday night instead to watch the fight. Anyone know of any good venues definitely showing the fight? By good, I mean large screen (beautiful women an advantage, but not essential). :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I would warrant it'd be in in Mason's and the like on the tv's, but I don't know if any of em will forgoe Tall Ships Live Music for the fight on a big screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Im cracking up myself that i'm gonna miss the fight (i'll be at a wedding) When Haye fought Valuev I watched it in Masons and they had the sound of the fight on but like mitch said with the Tall ships i'd say a good few places will have music.

I'm currently trying to find out if any of the lads are watching it in their gaff in town. No luck so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Also costs 130 bucks to get the fight in for the pubs. I don't think most will bother with the weekend that's in it. The Front Lounge, and Shortts won't have it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

OP, you should definitely call a few pubs and ask them about it, to save us boardsies racing around town on the day!

edit, to anyone with free-view i heard a rumor its FTA on some European station? anyone confirm?

2nd edit! RTL Germany - http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/266865-haye-v-klitschko-fta.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I watched Bernard Dunne v Martinez in Masons and had to beg them to turn the sound on. Ridiculous really.

This is why we need a dedicated sports bar. I guess Alfie's is the best bet, or Norris'. Not every pub in town will have live acts on I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

is this boxing or the ufc fighting?

its a big match i take it?
    I'm currently trying to find out if any of the lads are watching it in their gaff in town. No luck so far.

if i have the right subscription i wouldnt mind putting it on

Ya it's Boxig. It would be a very big fight for boxing fans and it's getting a good bit of chat outside the usual circles too. See heavyweight boxing hasn't been really good in a decade so a big fight like this is a real treat.

ziedth wrote: »
    Ya it's Boxig. It would be a very big fight for boxing fans and it's getting a good bit of chat outside the usual circles too. See heavyweight boxing hasn't been really good in a decade so a big fight like this is a real treat.

thanks z

ive made a really really bad mistake can you fix it please

the tags on boards.ie for a pm dont see to work like im used to

or is my pm just showing up for me

sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I know Norisses is showing it but not sure where else.

• Advertisement

thanks z

ive made a really really bad mistake can you fix it please

the tags on boards.ie for a pm dont see to work like im used to

or is my pm just showing up for me

sorry

I deleted that thread for you. To send a PM click on the users name in the thread and a drop down menu will appear and one of the options will be send PM. It works much like eMail.

thanks for that

maybe i should calm down with the posting until i learn the tricks of the trade so to speak lol

sorry about the offtopic

does the espn show this boxing fight as well as the ufc fighting because i have that tv subscription

if anyone is interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Its box office,

and its in the region of 20 - 30 quid to order from sky!

Horgan wrote: »
    Its box office,

and its in the region of 20 - 30 quid to order from sky!

expensive

do they put on other fights as part of the show

maybe that makes it a reasonable cost

might be an idea to get a few friends around and split the cost

possibly a few beers and maybe even a wager on the outcome

does that sound like a good plan to anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

grimes will be showning it

Grimes never lets me down!

will i count you out for my idea so mitch

i asked for betting suggestions in the gambling thread

one guy came up with a great idea

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056312026

basically we all pick at random a round each and put a few euro each on it

so lets say we put in 25euro each thatd be a prize of 300euro

whatever round the fight ends that person is the winner

there are 12 rounds so we can only do it with the first 12 people interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Isn't Saturday night Sharon Shannon, not the Waterboys? So you might not have to miss the gig at all OP.

That aside, what time is the main event expected to kick off at? Wouldn't mind catching it in Grimes' if I'm still in around town.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Isn't Saturday night Sharon Shannon, not the Waterboys? So you might not have to miss the gig at all OP.

That aside, what time is the main event expected to kick off at? Wouldn't mind catching it in Grimes' if I'm still in around town.

Sorry...I meant that it's either Friday or Saturday. The joys of being grown up and having kids in a recession-hit country :(

From what I've been reading, the fight starts around 22:45BST

That would be about right. Of course it depends on the length of the undercard fights. I think it's gonna be a great fight myself.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    That would be about right. Of course it depends on the length of the undercard fights. I think it's gonna be a great fight myself.

Dunno. Haye is all mouth. Even against Audley Harrison he seemed a bit afraid to let go in case he was hit himself. Klitschko is bigger than Harrison. I just hope Haye gets the hiding that shuts him and Sky up forever. Charging someone in Ireland €22 to watch these fights is ridiculous, especially as you never know what you get with heavyweights. I could understand it for a Pacquio or Mayweather fight.

Hayes response to the first question makes me want to see this.

Hayes response to the first question makes me want to see this.

it almost seems as if the script writers want you to pay money to watch the fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

it almost seems as if the script writers want you to pay money to watch the fight

Boxing is not WWF.

Boooourns wrote: »
    Boxing is not WWF.

i don't see any boxing in that video

what is the difference

I get the feeling as many as three new posters on this forum in the last few days have been set up to troll or take the p*ss.

Is it just me, or am I being too sceptical?

gscully wrote: »
    I get the feeling as many as three new posters on this forum in the last few days have been set up to troll or take the p*ss.

Is it just me, or am I being too sceptical?

Ignore button is very handy for such things.

Back on topic though, I wonder shy there isn't a "real" sports bar in town that shows things like boxing/UFC even things like NFL and hockey. Surely someone could re-image themselves handy enough.

My views on the fight is that Klitschko will drop him within the first 3 rounds. that pays out 9/1 and think is def worth €10. a part of me would love to see Hay just picked apart and just made a fool of over the whole fight though. Like Mayweather did to Hattonn.

to clarify my last post.....

i understand the difference between the two so called sports

my point is specifically regarding these staged interviews and press conferences

they are held to create a false tension between the fighters and to sell the fight

one of those guys makes the point that this fight is going to be great.... why would he say this unless he is trying to sell the fight to the public

anyone who buys into this hype is a complete and utter sucker in my book

Ali used to trashtalk and say he was gonna "woop" someone before there was ever Pay-per-view so I think allot of it is tactics as boxing is as much mental attitude as physical skilll.

Having said that, like when the likes of Don King were involved I think some of these things are staged to get viewing figuers up. I actually cringed for example when Tyson fought Lewis and they had all the security in the ring seperating them.

Or when this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb8nxSl3UlM&playnext=1&list=PLC26FEB080F34D0D4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I really dislike that promo video.

I'm not a big fan of professional boxing anyway (I've no problem with amateur), but I always respected the discipline of the pugilists*. I remember seeing the end of a match where they were boxing the ****e out of one another (as you'd expect) for 12 rounds. At the end they were knackered and just shook hands, no animosity at all. It takes a lot of self control not to get angry at someone who was punching you for the past hour.

This animosity hype takes away that respect I have for the discipline of the pugilists, and makes them appear like some sort of Mike Tyson scumbag.

*I consider myself very sophisticated for using that word.

Advertisement