Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For all you Latin speakers out there...

• 28-06-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

... I have a request. My future employers (in China) are being a bit awkward and want an English version of my BA degree which I got in 2008 and is written in Latin (I already sent them the Latin version by email). I'm not sure if they just want a translation or an English copy from UCC itself. I think they would be OK with just a translation though, so could some kind soul who speaks Latin help me translate the following?

Testantur hae literae Gradum
    Baccalaureatus in Artibus
    Honoro Cursu Confecto
    in Universitate Hiberniae Nationali apud
    Corcagium, quae Universitas particeps Universitatis
    Hiberniae Nationalis rite constituta est
    ad
    {name}
    delatum esse
    {date}

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

They/We give as evidence these letters for completing the final exam which confers (confering) an honours degree at the National University of Ireland of Cork, which the university, as a member of the National University is duly allowed to (given permission to) NAME, given/offered DATE

The first verb is technically "They give", but it means "We give", although you might prefer "They" referring to the university. (confering) is also a literal translation, it's a gerund, but this sounds unnatural in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Thanks for the help Enkidu. My own knowledge of Latin is fairly limited.

Advertisement