Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bought the game TODAY

• 28-06-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i have the whole summer free , and along with the new purchase of a laptop comes with the purchase of games including star craft 2

So I'm new to the game all advice and tips would be appreciated to help get me started :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

http://www.youtube.com/user/day9tv

^^ this guy covers EVERYTHING a new player could possibly need to get into starcraft2

also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRSe0wi_SGk

great guide for new players.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

nice one man, theres alot to learn for a new player, and it might seem a little daunting. But play consistently, and you'll reap the rewards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://www.youtube.com/user/day9tv

^^ this guy covers EVERYTHING a new player could possibly need to get into starcraft2

also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRSe0wi_SGk

great guide for new players.

Subcribed to them myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

Little Pea wrote: »
    Hey guys i have the whole summer free , and along with the new purchase of a laptop comes with the purchase of games including star craft 2

So I'm new to the game all advice and tips would be appreciated to help get me started :-)

Rather than what royal marine linked use www.day9.tv

His youtube channel isn't updated as often and some of the videos are out of sync.

Here is a list of recommended watching for beginners from /r/starcraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

2 hour videos thats a bit much to be watching :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

Little Pea wrote: »
    2 hour videos thats a bit much to be watching :-)

Long, yes. But definitely worth it. On top of being a fantastic Starcraft teacher he's hilariously funny in his videos.

While I appreciate , you linking me to his videos i don't think that i would have the time or the will power to sit and watch a couple of videos 2 hrs etc :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

day9's a bit much if you just bought the game today

play the campaign for a little bit, play some skirmishes against the computer.. get the feel for the game and what race you want to play

after a while, when you hit a plateau you'll come back to day9 on your own as it stands.. without having any game experience, what he's saying won't really help or make sense to you

the important things to remember while playing
    always make workers
    keep your money low (generally, having over 3-400 minerals at any one time is a bad thing)
    don't queue units. if you have 5 marines queued up in a barracks that's 5x50=250 minerals. 50 minerals is the marine you are currently training but the other 200 minerals are just wasted. if you hadnt queued the marines up you could have thrown down another barracks, and then made 2 marines at a time.
    The game is primarily about economy management. yes it has armies and killing things, but managing your economy (macro) is generally more important than controlling your units (micro) because with a **** economy, you're not really gona have any units to micro.

dont worry too much about learning to play properly, just get in and have some fun for now. once you get the hang of things generally, you can return to the "always make workers,etc" and try to improve your game.

When you do start trying to improve, once you've got some basics down.. remember to focus on macro. Fancy unit tricks, build orders, strategies/tactics aren't important until you get good at the game. and the way to get good at the game is to learn how to macro. If you can macro better than your opponent, you'll win more than you lose and you'll be learning starcrafts most important skills while you do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What he said ^^^^

Day9 is great for someone with a reasonable understanding of the game which as a total newbie, you don't Little Pea :)

Play the Campaign and then try some 1v1 against a medium opponent and see how badly you get trounced :) After that, you'll have a better reason to watch Day9 and learn from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Just find sparklewolf on IRC and ask for a game. You'll probably win. It's a good way to get your confidence going.

• Advertisement

Loving the Campaign , having great fun at the moment. Thanks for the tips guys keep them coming :-) getting used to the game now , but unfortunately wont be playing until next week after tonight :-( but i will say one thing haven't had this much fun on a computer game in some time :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

play single player :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

My advice is just to enjoy the campaign.
    When you finish it then look at the achievements you missed and replay it to get them. (I am currently in the midst of my 3rd attempt at the campaign so far and have still to get all the achievements........laddering has distracted me for a while now!!!)

At that point start playing 1v1 with medium AI. Look up 2-3 standards builds on youtube. This will at least give you a structure to follow as you play. As you get comfortable start to play online using B.Net with your 50 practise matches.

No need to rush this dabble period. At this point, as you get better and/or more aware of the game watching Day9 will benefit you. His videos assume a measure of experience and/or skill. Hour long videos may seem tedious but as a terran player I often skip the protoss/zerg focussed episodes. For pure laughter at least watch his Funday Monday and Newbie Tuesday episodes.

For more relaxed humour why not follow TotalBiscuit on youtube, his videos of his ladder games are quite funny for how he berates his own ****e decision making!

Advertisement