Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice from experienced dog owners/breeder

• 28-06-2011 3:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭

at the moment i have a dog already and she is 14, still very lively and playful. At the moment i am seriously considering one of these http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/2270895. The only thing stopping me going down today to put a deposit on one is that i don't no if it would be healthy for my dog if i brought a pup into the household.
    I welcome everyones opinion. the reason i am thinking so strongly about it is that its my favorite breed of dog and they seem to be incredibly rare in this country. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ill give you one piece of good advice, stay away from donedeal for a pedigree dog.

If you are looking for a Bull Terrier, then contact the IKC and get a list of breeders that are involved in Bull Terriers, or pop along to a show and chat to some of the breeders/exhibitors there and get advice from themselves and see when they are planning some litters.

But you wouldnt pay me to buy a dog from donedeal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Agree with Andreac.

All you have to do is google the number and you can see that the seller has been selling a few different breeds of pups in the last year. I would not buy a pup from someone like that.

Also they're not rare at all, we've had several into the local pound here and I've seen a good few being walked locally too so do what Andrea says and go to the shows and find yourself a good breeder.

How is your dog with other dogs? New pups can sometimes give older dogs a new lease of life but you do have to consider if your current dog would be able for a new pup or if you would be better off leaving her in peace and waiting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

at the moment i have a dog already and she is 14, still very lively and playful. At the moment i am seriously considering one of these http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/2270895. The only thing stopping me going down today to put a deposit on one is that i don't no if it would be healthy for my dog if i brought a pup into the household.
    I welcome everyones opinion. the reason i am thinking so strongly about it is that its my favorite breed of dog and they seem to be incredibly rare in these country. Thanks in advance

IMO NO NO NO NO.

She been there 14 years and along comes a puppy (who can be very annoying to an older dog)

Have you asked your vet?

AND PLEASE DONT BUY A DOG FROM THOSE FREE SITES :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

cheers for the advice i just contacted ikc for a list of breeders and never thought about going around to my vet to get his advice.
    my dog is ok with other dogs, I wouldnt say she is brilliant. shes very friendly but she does get a bit nervous around huge dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Try contacting COXGAL Bull Terriers, coxgal@eircom.net

I cant recommend his dogs high enough, his dogs are fab and well worth waiting for.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Try contacting COXGAL Bull Terriers, coxgal@eircom.net

I cant recommend his dogs high enough, his dogs are fab and well worth waiting for.

will to thank you for the contact :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

That's a toughie, OP. What breed is your existing dog? Bull Terriers are built like tanks and they are rowdy as puppies - I can see your old girl getting knocked off her feet by the pup in his attempts to get her to play, and not liking it one bit! Personally I'd give your OAP the benefit of a peaceful retirement, and delay introducing a new dog into the household til she has passed on. That's what I'd do. My dogs are 8 and 9 now, and definitely wouldn't welcome a puppy into the household, not to mind when they really get on in years.

PS They are not rare at all in Ireland so don't feel you have to rush into getting one before the time is right just because this litter has come available.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

EBT are mental throughout life, I have a 3 yr old bitch we got from england and shes still mad as a brush. Wouldnt be fair to your older dog. EBT arnt the most gentle of dogs! They like to be rough and tumble and make alot of "noises". Think about it very carefully, the countries pounds are full of bulll breed dogs. Dont add another one!

my dog is half wheaten terrier and half beagal. its built like a wall cause of the way i use to play with her and she loves been thrown about since she was a pup until this day we still mess wrestle and she loves it. shes not a very gentle dog herself, she loves the rough and tumble. if she was a gentle dog then i defo wouldnt be thinking of introducing a bully but since she loves playing rough i just dont think she would mind,but saying that i have never introduced a pup to an existing dog before so i want to get as much opinions as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

my dog is half wheaten terrier and half beagal. its built like a wall cause of the way i use to play with her and she loves been thrown about since she was a pup until this day we still mess wrestle and she loves it. shes not a very gentle dog herself, she loves the rough and tumble. if she was a gentle dog then i defo wouldnt be thinking of introducing a bully but since she loves playing rough i just dont think she would mind,but saying that i have never introduced a pup to an existing dog before so i want to get as much opinions as possible

Have you ever had anything dog stay with you and the old lady?

• Advertisement

not over night no but she seems fine when people bring dogs into our house. over the years there was only one dog she wouldnt allow in the house, no idea why though

Advertisement